DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forced GO 4 update in a week?

Maybe they will force us send our Mavics back - because they are too powerful a drones - and send us all DJI Sparks as replacements :D

DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly
DJI’s Geospatial Environment Online (GEO) provides DJI flyers with up-to-date guidance on areas where flight may be limited by regulation or raise safety concerns. In addition to airport location information, flyers will have real-time access to live information on temporary flight restrictions due to forest fires, major stadium events, VIP travel, and other changing circumstances. The GEO system also includes locations such as prisons, nuclear power plants and other sensitive areas where flying may raise non-aviation security concerns.

GEO by default limits flights into or take-off within locations that raise safety or security concerns. If a flight within one of these locations has been authorized, GEO allows users with verified DJI accounts to temporarily unlock or self-authorize their flights. This unlock function is not available for sensitive national-security locations.

The GEO system is advisory only. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to his or her flight. In some instances, DJI has selected widely-recommended general parameters (such as a 1.5 mile radius at airports) without making any determination of whether this guidance matches regulations that may apply specifically to you.

GEO is currently available in the following areas:
United Arab Emirates
North America:Canada ,United States ,Mexico
Europe [1]

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Perhaps some elements of GEO are going to be enforced on us - and we won't be able to switch it off. At the moment I understand we can disable GEO, but not NFZ; however DJI have said they haven't been updating the NFZ for some time - so the next logical step is to drop NFZ & enforce GEO...
I guess it has to happen.

That's a good shout. Bit ironic that a device like that being sold on a site with "safe" in its name.
The more they regulate the more mods like this will be available. No one bought a product that will controlled by the seller when they feel like it.

Keep to mods coming! Mavic jailbreaks coming soon.

This could suck for retailers in countries with consumer protection laws - the product being crippled like this might make it not fit for purpose, so heavily used mavics could be returned for refund

Reactions: Peio64270
It was in reference to using canaries in coal mines, if the canary died, you needed to GTF out of there!

ETA never mention parrot and Mavic in the same sentence, you'll hurt her feelings...
The Mavic will get over it.

In any case, what good is a Parrot if it can't record video? Meh!

"its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware"

If you don't update the Dji Go app with its new activation process then the next firmware update will begin restricting your flights .

I think the correct geospatial information and flight functions for your region will be stored in the new Dji Go4 app and if the next Firmware updates do not see that information it will limit your flight distances , camera view etc .

If enforced GEO is coming, then the issues are not so bad today as most GEO restricted areas are sensible BUT this could change over time.
Today it is mostly the FAA/CAA & other airspace authorities setting the restricted areas, with some Government specific sites included, such as the WhiteHouse, Houses of Parliament, etc. BUT what is to stop this being extended to local/regional authorities adding their chosen restricted areas, private companies & even the general public with the ability to enforce a 'don't fly over my land'.
With all the hysteria, it could all get out of hand & we find there is less & less airspace we can fly over because of all the paranoia.
Unfortunately these aircraft are a technological marvel at odds with the peculiarities of society. I was going to say modern society, but there is nothing modern about it - it's the middle ages all over again, where paranoia & gossip go hand in hand to create madness...

So will this unbreak the app on my Galaxy S8+ which completely stopped working about a week after I got it?!?

If you turn on data or WiFi while DJI Go 4 is on, then you will get the message. I just tried it earlier... To prevent any issues with having connected to the DJI servers, I've reloaded my DJI Go 4 from a Titanium backup I did 1 week ago, so as far as my DJI Go 4 is concerned, it never saw the message, and therefore, any count-down or whatever DJI may have pushed from their server... I'll be keeping my DJI Go 4 isolated from now on... It may also be time to start using 3rd party apps such as Litchi...
The flaw is you will probably still need to log-in on the newly loaded app.

There are no additional restrictions being added next week, this is purely a change that requires reactivation.

Brendan Schulman VP of Policy @ DJI posted the below on RCG

88c996ee81f41a234a62ff2a9fd0a07b.jpg

Reactions: Mr Spock
There are no additional restrictions being added next week, this is purely a change that requires reactivation.

Brendan Schulman VP of Policy @ DJI posted the below on RCG

88c996ee81f41a234a62ff2a9fd0a07b.jpg
really wish i could believe this otherwise why do it at all?

I smell BS. Will not be updating app or firmware beyond current versions.
Don't count the chickens before they hatch. This could be huge, or this could be nothing. When the update happens, I will report back as to what exactly changed.

You guys are funny.

Brendan has said there are no more restrictions, He IS Geo, no reason not to be believe him lol but it's down to you guys.

He has been an active member since Geo started and has to this day never said anything that was not how it is.

I will try my best not to update
I dont belive dji . 99% its a way to forced you to update the fw to 700

Reactions: Peio64270
Don't count the chickens before they hatch. This could be huge, or this could be nothing. When the update happens, I will report back as to what exactly changed.

Or it come be once you upgrade it does something where you forever can't go back.
In the absence of knowledge, best to do nothing, play it safe, and see feedback from early testers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure