DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Clamp With 'Remove Before Flight' Streamer Interest?

BrettG

Reactions
Hi there,
I'm new here so firstly I would like to say hello. My name is Brett Greenwood and I live in London, I am new to owning a Mavic Pro and so far I think it is superb! I have however already realised how easy it is to damage, lose or leave the gimbal clamp on, but also realise that it is pretty essential to attach it whilst the aircraft is not in use or in transit etc. I have also noticed that it is not that easy to get hold of them as a spare. I am an aircraft engineer by trade and was trying to log how much interest there would be in a gimbal clamp with a ready made 'REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT' streamer attached to it? I am willing to manufacture this if I get enough interest. The problem I see so far is the cost to manufacture it on a small scale (approximately £2000 or above for 100 pieces) which is mainly down to tooling costs.

So my main questions are:

1, How many of you would be interested in one of these?
2, How much would be a fair price?
3, If there was enough interest in these how could I guarantee sales if I were to go ahead and make them?

Please feel free to comment with any suggestions or to log your interest.

Many Thanks

Brett

Reactions: JHSlayer
Thanks for the replies guys.
It would be easy to do a DIY solution but I was thinking that most of the time people (including myself) just don't bother and then struggle on with what they have. My thinking was that if there was a well made good looking replacement with a streamer already attached I would probably buy one (at the right price).
I understand if this is a no go, I just thought I would put it out there ;-)

I just put a Red ribbon on the gimbal cover

Attachments

• 2B9DCC3B-7A40-4AC0-A704-7D1C41726853.JPG
    2B9DCC3B-7A40-4AC0-A704-7D1C41726853.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 169
Reactions: Rbruz
Just get a red ribbon at Wal-Mart attach it to the clamp and be done with it. No need to get fancy.

I think if I see a nice one I would probably pay around $10 myself, so as it is it just wouldn't be worth the hassle unless there was a big demand...

Market research over... BIG FAIL ! haha

I dont consider it a failure when youre trying to help people out, even though there might not be much demand here. You could advertise on ebay and probably sell at least a few dozen.

I think you might try it on a smaller scale, buy some OEM clamps, make the necessary changes, then remarket them. I would sell them for $19 - $21 on eBay or here. There will be some interest. Not everyone wants the DIY method, they want something to look fancy, especially if they lost their OEM clamp and need to replace it with something more practical.

Reactions: jerryflah
You could even use the one Rydfree posted, somehow engineer it so that it doesnt interfere with the bubble, and resell it. Maybe a red thread attached from the clamp to the pennant so it will fit under the bubble.

New 5x Red Remove Before Flight Key Chain Luggage Tag Woven Embroidery Keychain | eBay
The weight of the original of this tag was enough to dislodge the clamp in transit. Even after cutting it down to practically nothing this persisted. I like the red ribbon idea because I'm now without a warning and I definitely need something!!!

The weight of the original of this tag was enough to dislodge the clamp in transit. Even after cutting it down to practically nothing this persisted. I like the red ribbon idea because I'm now without a warning and I definitely need something!!!

Preflight checklist? :D

This one graciously assembled by Alan The Beast.

Preflight Checklist

Reactions: harryb
Thanks guys, I will go ahead and design one for myself in the near future and if it comes out well I will share the results ;-)

Your gimbal clamp must be very loose fitting or not snapped in correctly . I have used these ribbons on several drone gimbal covers and on the Mavic since day one and never had an issue . The ribbon barely weighs anything but as I said , you must not use the metal ring as it is too ridged . Mine is attached with thread and folds under the Mavics belly then the gimbal cover snaps on so there is no actual stress on the clamp at all .

I got 5 embroiled red ribbons "remove before flight" from 5 dollars in ebay. :)

You paid too much ! LOL
5pcs New Red Remove Before Flight Pilot Bag Luggage Aviation Key Chain Label Tag | eBay

Seriously , these things are available in all colors for those with skins that would like a matching color . They even have camo but that kinda is against the point of having a very noticible tag .
remove before flight | eBay

You can also find remove before flight streamers that are a bit more flexible than the cloth tags if that is a concern .

I've personally never had a problem but some people can't do the simplest of things.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi