DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harassment by drone using neighbor. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live onthe big island of Hawaii in a housing development . My neighbor is harassing me with his drone. We havent been able to get pictures yet, but flies by our windows . When we come out with a camera he retreats to his property line. We feel like we've lost all privacy. I need to stop it but how. I want to proceed legally. My wife is totally freaked out and afraid. I'm looking for advice, please.
Get your own drone... like they say, if ya can't beat em, join em. :)
Seriously though I would invest in a good outdoor camera. With neighbors like these, you will need it. If not for this issue, the next. Get some footage to present to them and or the local law enforcement. Should clear things right up.

I live onthe big island of Hawaii in a housing development . My neighbor is harassing me with his drone. We havent been able to get pictures yet, but flies by our windows . When we come out with a camera he retreats to his property line. We feel like we've lost all privacy. I need to stop it but how. I want to proceed legally. My wife is totally freaked out and afraid. I'm looking for advice, please.
I agree that pictures would help, but you should file a report with local authorities to get on the record, you may not be the only one being violated.

Anyone who owns a consumer drone knows there isn’t much spying through windows going on. It’s still a lot more efficient to hop over the fence and peek in with your own eyes. You neighbor is just trying to piss you off.

Maybe a WiFi router with a directional antenna?

Hopefully causing enough interference to kill the rc's signal, or at least trigger a warning.

Not sure if a home WiFi router would be powerful enough though.

Get your own drone... like they say, if ya can't beat em, join em. :)
Seriously though I would invest in a good outdoor camera. With neighbors like these, you will need it. If not for this issue, the next. Get some footage to present to them and or the local law enforcement. Should clear things right up.
Why waste money. If you are uncomfortable with directly engaging, call local authorities, especially if you know where it's "home" is. It puts both the culprit and authorities on notice, on record, of a complaint. If it continues, use a cell phone to record intrusion and contact authorities again. If that fails, contact your local politician. Use the systems in place to deal with offenders. Saves misunderstanding and keeps you out of jail :)

You don't need a picture to call the police for any kind of proof. That can be found in his telemetry

You don't need a picture to call the police for any kind of proof. That can be found in his telemetry
I am no lawyer, but I think a search warrant will be needed for that. I don't think it will get that far without the compelling evidence a picture/video would give.

Tell that to the kid who was knocked down and assaulted by a woman on the beach a few years ago claiming he was stalking her with his drone. If he had not of caught it on his cell phone recorder he would have been arrested as she lied to the police and said he attacked her. He showed them the recording and she was the one who got the free ride to a holding cell. A picture or a recording goes a long way with the LEO when he is on site.

Dont waste your time on Forums like this get the Police involved and get the behaviour stopped. With respect you will end up going round in circles online and if you acted on someones advice you may have a problem when it comes to legalities

1) Contact the police
2) if that doesn't help, get some good hunters cameras set up around the property (and also one that covers the 'escape' route.
3) As it's the US, you can then file a lawsuit based on the footage from you cameras.

Reactions: Berm_Rooster
Go t
o the

Go directly to the police and ask them to have a copy of flight logs. It will identify if the drone reached your vicinity. Because the drone owner can easily delete videos just to protect they wrong doing.

Shoot it down that’s what I would do. Shot gun

I'm pretty sure Hawaii is one of the least gun friendly states in the USA.

A garden hose is a pretty good idea. Or a fishing rod/reel. You can cast right overtop of it and possibly bring it down.

My opinion is that if you awre on your property and a drone is in your personal space within range of a garden hose, it's fair game.

Is this even real? He never responded. I used to spam forums as a kid like this to get reactions, hence why im asking.

Reactions: TotemLake
You seriously can't figure out what action to take? Put on your big boy pants and confront the neighbor and if that doesn't work then you call the police.

The police typically don't act on anything unless its committed in their presence or on video. With that being said, have some fun with this. I would put up some clear fishing line around my window areas. I think he will stop after his drone gets tangled and crashes. He should know better. Unless he likes replacing broke drones, I think this will fix your problem. :)

1. Inform police. 2. Inform FAA 3. Both the aircraft and DJI have flight logs that will show its path 4. Buy a DJI RC bind it to his aircraft during flight and bring it to your home to land

Shoot it down? Really people? Sounds like you are just as bad as or worse than the offending neighbor. Let me educate you on all of this as a FAA 107 Certified Pilot.

You can call the police, but the fact is that no laws were broken in this case. Some of you refer to local laws of privacy. That is a myth. Federal laws supersede local laws. The simple fact is that no private citizen owns any part of national airspace. If it’s 1 inch above ground anywhere, that’s national airspace whether it’s above your yard or the airport. As long as you fly below the ceiling of restricted airspace and there are no temporary flight zone restrictions, (check out Skyvector.com), there’s nothing you can do. If you can prove violations of airspace regulations, then call the FAA and not the police. They will act swiftly.

I know it sucks for privacy to be invaded, but if you resort to violence or destruction of property, the one that may be going to jail is the one who files the complaint. Life is not fair sometimes, but that is the world we live in. All I can say, is get over it, and try to work it out peacefully, or learn your federal laws governing national airspace before you call the FAA.

I live onthe big island of Hawaii in a housing development . My neighbor is harassing me with his drone. We havent been able to get pictures yet, but flies by our windows . When we come out with a camera he retreats to his property line. We feel like we've lost all privacy. I need to stop it but how
Shoot it down or call the police, that's the advice people are giving him?! Seriously, just go talk to your neighbor. People are generally reasonable and the likelihood of someone spying on you with a consumer drone is super slim. I can't think of a better way to foster resentment from your neighbor than to have the cops knock on his door saying you lodged a complaint about him having a hobby drone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos