DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

hello fellow drone pilots

boatdoc

Reactions
Hi there drone pilots

I am a total newbie but look forward to enjoying our hobby. I am a AMA member and registered my mini 2 se with the faa

I am a bit frustrated at this point. I live in a restricted airspace and due to DJI using geofencing( geo zones) I am in limbo until the FAA allows me to fly in my home area. Not sure why DJI feels this is necessary.
As a pilot who takes safety very seriously and follows the flight rules to the letter, I AM responsible for my drone and its flight. right? DJI is NOT responsible for my behavior so why the restrictions?

I KNOW what the restricted zone requires of me and will never violate the airspace I need to fly in.

JUst to activate my drone, I had to drive 30 miles to get outside the restricted airspace in my home area. I could not fly when I activated the drone as it was not safe.( area had cars, ) and the space is just not big enough to fly a drone. So now I have to wait to fly or drive long distances IF I can find areas open to the public

thanks for allowing me into this fine forum

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Have you looked at the FAA UAS Data map to confirm that you live in a NFZ? If you do, it is not a DJI issue. If you don't live in a NFZ, contact DJI they may be able to give you an unlock code that will be permanate

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Have you looked at the FAA UAS Data map to confirm that you live in a NFZ? If you do, it is not a DJI issue. If you don't live in a NFZ, contact DJI they may be able to give you an unlock code that will be permanate
Thanks a lot @GFields.

YES I know that I am in a restricted flight zone.( not a NFZ) According to DJI, I need to show that I have permission to fly in my area. and then DJI will unlock the drone to fly once the FAA gives me authorization. With a helicopter factory and 2 small airports in my area, I understand the need for safe flight. That said ,as a brand new pilot, I doubt that I will be coming close to the 300 foot ceiling noted when I went to the B4U fly site.Too bad DJI doe s not allow restricted parameters,especially for a new pilot to practice.

Nothing horrible. Just frustrating as I really want to get airborne, learn my drone and have some fun. I will NOT violate any laws or rules of safety, thus it is the waiting game that is being played

Thanks a lot @GFields.

YES I know that I am in a restricted flight zone.( not a NFZ) According to DJI, I need to show that I have permission to fly in my area. and then DJI will unlock the drone to fly once the FAA gives me authorization. With a helicopter factory and 2 small airports in my area, I understand the need for safe flight. That said ,as a brand new pilot, I doubt that I will be coming close to the 300 foot ceiling noted when I went to the B4U fly site.Too bad DJI doe s not allow restricted parameters,especially for a new pilot to practice.

Nothing horrible. Just frustrating as I really want to get airborne, learn my drone and have some fun. I will NOT violate any laws or rules of safety, thus it is the waiting game that is being played
I understand the frustration. Nonetheless, it is for safety reasons that DJI and other manufacturers enable GEOfencing. This is especially good for NEW pilots as many don't bother to know what the FAA rules and regulations are. The TRUST test helps (and I hope you have taken the test).

If you flew a drone that is NOT GEOfenced and was found out by the FAA, you could receive citations or worse.

Reactions: sarahb and boatdoc
I understand the frustration. Nonetheless, it is for safety reasons that DJI and other manufacturers enable GEOfencing. This is especially good for NEW pilots as many don't bother to know what the FAA rules and regulations are. The TRUST test helps (and I hope you have taken the test).

If you flew a drone that is NOT GEOfenced and was found out by the FAA, you could receive citations or worse.
thanks for the thoughtful reply--- I understand the reasoning . look how people act these days. " rules for thee,not for me" seems to be everywhere.

First thing I did was pass my TRUST test, . Then I read the manual cover to cover 3x. then I joined the AMA. The AMA led me to a RC club in my area. I am now a member and cannot fly there until the FAA gives me the go ahead.

To me, there should be a limited ability to fly the drone until they can unlock my area . With a mini2 se--a true beginners drone, I feel that I should be able to fly up to 50 feet in altitude and maybe 75 feet in distance. I would not break any rules or put anyone in danger.

I am sure DJIs lawyers had a lot to say before DJI released the products with geo fencing.Again, it is the world we live in( no one takes personal responsibility seriously any more it seems)

Perhaps they should require proof of passing the TRUST test to allow limited flight? wishful thinking I know :)

From CA - @boatdoc - Thanks for joining us @ MP!
Use an APP called Autopylot. If you're near an airport or heliport, the map will show the restricted airspace in grids. If you zoom in, the grids will have numbers in them. These numbers represent the maximum altitude allowed. For example, if the number said 200', you can get LAANC authorization to fly there up to 200'.
EDIT: If you click in the restricted airspace, the app tells you about the authorzation required and steps you through the process.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world. Yes, very frustrating in some areas.. Sometimes I have to make an adventure out of it and travel a distance to find a descent place to fly. Wish you well, you will get plenty of support and ideas from the forum.

Hello from the Crossroads of America boatdoc.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

From CA - @boatdoc - Thanks for joining us @ MP!
Use an APP called Autopylot. If you're near an airport or heliport, the map will show the restricted airspace in grids. If you zoom in, the grids will have numbers in them. These numbers represent the maximum altitude allowed. For example, if the number said 200', you can get LAANC authorization to fly there up to 200'.
EDIT: If you click in the restricted airspace, the app tells you about the authorzation required and steps you through the process.
thanks for the suggestion. and reply

Reactions: Prop Wash
I am a bit frustrated at this point.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

I wrote this to you when you joined DronePilot, but it bears repeating here…

This may be hard for your to read, but you may never get clearance to fly where you are as a Recreational pilot… Controlled airspace is broken down into Altitude Quadrants, the further you are from the center, generally the higher to a max of 400' you can get an authorization from the FAA to fly… The closer in, the lower the maximum altitude allowed. right on down to Zero (0) altitude, as in NO FLYING permitted for Recreational Pilots…

I live 4-miles from an Air Force Base and the runway runs pretty much in my direction and I live in one of those Zero Altitude Quadrants. I call is a "Drone Taxi Zone…"

Until I got my Part 107 License, I was not allowed to fly in my own back yard… So, if you live close to that heliport, you may be in the Zero Altitude Zone…

As for DJI and the phone allowed, you just needed to do the research. They do not keep it a secret and they provide a complete list of phones they support. The DJI Fly App is a very resource intensive application and the phone or device had to have a strong processor, lots of Ram, and free memory… I use a Motorola Moto G phone, a Galaxy S2 Tablet , and a a Galaxy A8 tablet and all work fine… They are not on the DJI support list and I was lucky My wife's Motorola Moto G "Play" phone does not work…

Here is a web site to help you with the device issue, be it a phone or tablet…

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2 SE, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

I hope it all works out for you.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

I wrote this to you when you joined DronePilot, but it bears repeating here…

This may be hard for your to read, but you may never get clearance to fly where you are as a Recreational pilot… Controlled airspace is broken down into Altitude Quadrants, the further you are from the center, generally the higher to a max of 400' you can get an authorization from the FAA to fly… The closer in, the lower the maximum altitude allowed. right on down to Zero (0) altitude, as in NO FLYING permitted for Recreational Pilots…

I live 4-miles from an Air Force Base and the runway runs pretty much in my direction and I live in one of those Zero Altitude Quadrants. I call is a "Drone Taxi Zone…"

Until I got my Part 107 License, I was not allowed to fly in my own back yard… So, if you live close to that heliport, you may be in the Zero Altitude Zone…

As for DJI and the phone allowed, you just needed to do the research. They do not keep it a secret and they provide a complete list of phones they support. The DJI Fly App is a very resource intensive application and the phone or device had to have a strong processor, lots of Ram, and free memory… I use a Motorola Moto G phone, a Galaxy S2 Tablet , and a a Galaxy A8 tablet and all work fine… They are not on the DJI support list and I was lucky My wife's Motorola Moto G "Play" phone does not work…

Here is a web site to help you with the device issue, be it a phone or tablet…

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2 SE, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

I hope it all works out for you.
thanks again for your time and effort to reply

I am working with DJI to get the drone to unlock my area as my club is FRIA. hoping they can work with me on this.
If they will not cooperate, then I will have to find a way to use the dji drone in open spaces --if I can find one and will have to buy a drone that does not restrict my ability to fly in a safe responsible manner.Plenty of other companies do not restrict flight . They let the pilot be responsible for their behavior

After all it is the responsibility of a drone pilot to be safe, follow the laws and rules... IMHO DJI has overstepped their responsibility to assure safe flight. The FAA agrees.

I ave submitted a very modest request to the FAA to authorize flight in my restricted zone area(outsid e of my club as their are plenty of good spaces in this restricted zone to fly and be safe

as far as the phone goes, DJI doe s not notify the buyer(on amazon anyway) of the need for a special phone. It is only when you go to download the dji fly app that you see a list of acceptable phones. again, I am disappointed that I did not get this info BEFORE my purchase. I spent more for the iphone than I did for the mini drone. it is what it is , I have a new phone to use with my dji drone now

I wa s able to activate my drone by driving outsid e of the restricted zone. 30 MILES!!. I could not safely fly on that day as the space I chose was not clear of cars
I will make good us eof your provided info and links. again thanks for guiding a beginner to the way to do things right

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
Your receiving a lot of good information here, that’s why this forum is so great!
Fly safe and stay safe!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael Greece