DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from bonnie Scotland

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s. Read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup

Hello Anthony

Yeah it's here at last, I pre-ordered it on the 3 of October. Anyway I'm new to flying drones.

Thought I'd be in for a wait for the mavic. So I got myself a practice drone, you know something I could crash lol. It's a very raw flying experience no flying assist or anything. I then picked up a mini drone called the parrot mambo so I could fly inside. It has very similar flying characteristics to the mavic. Very good for practicing with.

Anyway how long you had yours for? And any good tips for starting out? Well apart from don't crash lol.

Johnny

Hello Anthony

Yeah it's here at last, I pre-ordered it on the 3 of October. Anyway I'm new to flying drones.

Thought I'd be in for a wait for the mavic. So I got myself a practice drone, you know something I could crash lol. It's a very raw flying experience no flying assist or anything. I then picked up a mini drone called the parrot mambo so I could fly inside. It has very similar flying characteristics to the mavic. Very good for practicing with.

Anyway how long you had yours for? And any good tips for starting out? Well apart from don't crash lol.

Johnny

Well done with the practice drone ..... very smart move.

There are a few basic things to check and understand before getting the Mavic in the air.

If you have not done so already go here Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads and download the latest Full Mavic user guide as the one in the box does not really contain enough information.

The guide contains lots of information on how the Mavic operates and what everything means etc.

So just a few things to help keep you in control and safe ..

The Mavic should be in Beginner Mode and I would suggest keeping in this mode for a few flights until you are happy with how the Mavic responds to your stick inputs.

To familiarise yourself with the controller and the information displayed on your mobile device power the drone up but keep it on the ground and take the time to walk through the Remote screen and then the options in DJI GO4 before you take to the air.

Now the pre flight stuff...

Always check the propellers are seated correctly so they don't come off during flight and that they have no damage.

Once you power on the drone ( in a clear open space ) wait until you here " The Home Point Has Been Updated Check It On The Map" before you take off and of course do check it on the Map to make sure it is set to the position you are launching from.

The Mavic has built in sensors I suggest you make sure these are all enabled during your early flights as these will assist you however they DO have limitations ... the forward collision system is not perfect and will not stop you hitting wires or small tree branches it will however stop you from flying into something big ... Please note IF you put the Drone into SPORTS MODE this will TURN OFF the forward collision system so I would only recommend you use sports mode in a large open are to start with as it will also take longer to stop in this mode.

The Mavic also has ground sensors that work up to a height of 13 meters so below 13 meters the Mavic can detect the ground THIS SYSTEM REQUIRES GOOD LIGHT CONDITIONS TO OPERATE so it is possible that this will not work on a very dull day so just be aware of this.

There are lots of things this drone can do and as you gain flight confidence over time you can play with some of the built in modes ( See the downloaded user guide for more detail )

Dont forget to remove the gimbal clamp before you power up and maybe adding a long piece of thin red ribbon might help to remind you to do it if you keep forgetting.

I have had my Mavic since the begining of December and love it .... good flight range and a very smart drone.

Roll on some better weather. ..

The RTH works really well also but make sure you check the hight needed before you take off as you dont want it bumping into something if you need to use it :)

I have tested this function a lot and the drone always lands within inches of the take off point as long as you allow the drone to map its location first. I always take of vertically to 8 to 10 meters then hold for 5 to 10 seconds then fly off.

This is a test auto landing video i did for a friend to demo the RTH landing.

Well done with the practice drone ..... very smart move.

There are a few basic things to check and understand before getting the Mavic in the air.

If you have not done so already go here Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads and download the latest Full Mavic user guide as the one in the box does not really contain enough information.

The guide contains lots of information on how the Mavic operates and what everything means etc.

So just a few things to help keep you in control and safe ..

The Mavic should be in Beginner Mode and I would suggest keeping in this mode for a few flights until you are happy with how the Mavic responds to your stick inputs.

To familiarise yourself with the controller and the information displayed on your mobile device power the drone up but keep it on the ground and take the time to walk through the Remote screen and then the options in DJI GO4 before you take to the air.

Now the pre flight stuff...

Always check the propellers are seated correctly so they don't come off during flight and that they have no damage.

Once you power on the drone ( in a clear open space ) wait until you here " The Home Point Has Been Updated Check It On The Map" before you take off and of course do check it on the Map to make sure it is set to the position you are launching from.

The Mavic has built in sensors I suggest you make sure these are all enabled during your early flights as these will assist you however they DO have limitations ... the forward collision system is not perfect and will not stop you hitting wires or small tree branches it will however stop you from flying into something big ... Please note IF you put the Drone into SPORTS MODE this will TURN OFF the forward collision system so I would only recommend you use sports mode in a large open are to start with as it will also take longer to stop in this mode.

The Mavic also has ground sensors that work up to a height of 13 meters so below 13 meters the Mavic can detect the ground THIS SYSTEM REQUIRES GOOD LIGHT CONDITIONS TO OPERATE so it is possible that this will not work on a very dull day so just be aware of this.

There are lots of things this drone can do and as you gain flight confidence over time you can play with some of the built in modes ( See the downloaded user guide for more detail )

Dont forget to remove the gimbal clamp before you power up and maybe adding a long piece of thin red ribbon might help to remind you to do it if you keep forgetting.

I have had my Mavic since the begining of December and love it .... good flight range and a very smart drone.

Roll on some better weather. ..
The RTH works really well also but make sure you check the hight needed before you take off as you dont want it bumping into something if you need to use it :)

I have tested this function a lot and the drone always lands within inches of the take off point as long as you allow the drone to map its location first. I always take of vertically to 8 to 10 meters then hold for 5 to 10 seconds then fly off.

This is a test auto landing video i did for a friend to demo the RTH landing.

Hi Anthony

Thanks for the information very helpful and much appreciated, I will definitely be following your advice. Be flying in beginner mode 1st time out.

My plan is to learn how to fly the aircraft then start on the camera side of things.

Nice vid on the how the RTH function works. The landing pad is a great idea especially like the fact it's a union jackThumbswayup

I was hoping to get out today, but the weather is to bad. So looks like I have to wait a bit longer to get in the air. I will download the the user guide and start reading.

Thanks again
Johnny

Hi Anthony

Thanks for the information very helpful and much appreciated, I will definitely be following your advice. Be flying in beginner mode 1st time out.

My plan is to learn how to fly the aircraft then start on the camera side of things.

Nice vid on the how the RTH function works. The landing pad is a great idea especially like the fact it's a union jackThumbswayup

I was hoping to get out today, but the weather is to bad. So looks like I have to wait a bit longer to get in the air. I will download the the user guide and start reading.

Thanks again
Johnny

Im sure you could order a scotland flag print as a landing pad :) having something clear and with shapes does help the Mavic identify the landing spot as it uses gps position and it takes an image of the ground as it takes off :)

These guys will print just about anything :)

Drone Landing Pads, Safety Equipment, Inductrix FPV Race Track

Im sure you could order a scotland flag print as a landing pad :) having something clear and with shapes does help the Mavic identify the landing spot as it uses gps position and it takes an image of the ground as it takes off :)

Yeah I'm going to order one, won't be a saltire that's for sure lol. Didn't realise it helped with the RTH, but makes perfect sense. Guess it would help keep the mav clean aswell. Going to go look at them now.

Yeah I'm going to order one, won't be a saltire that's for sure lol. Didn't realise it helped with the RTH, but makes perfect sense. Guess it would help keep the mav clean aswell. Going to go look at them now.

Yes it does help keep it out of the dirt and long grass etc :)

Welcome to our new forum JKF77 .:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78