DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help before travel to Vanuatu Volcano and Fiji

Hi John

try now and it should take you through to the registration sub-domain.
Any assistance I can give just let me know.
The website is due for public launch in the next couple of weeks, but we are providing the site now to help visitors in similar situation seeking the official Vanuatu info.
Our RPAS laws are different to Australia because they also take into account the cultural considerations of the country. Apart from that, whilst our laws are actually based on the New Zealand laws they are distinct and official law of the Republic of Vanuatu and are enforced just like any other Civil Aviation law or rule.

Best Regards
Mark
Thanks Mark, I'll check it out now.

Hi and thank you for your clarification.

We wish to encourage visitors to use their drones in a safe and respectful manner and have fun with them.
And we can also assist in obtaining permissions etc so you can fly legally.

What visitors don't realise is that in Vanuatu all land is 'owned' by someone and that means wherever you fly you need land owners permission. There is no 'public' land outside of the 2 towns and even then you would need permission to fly over those 'public' reserves.

Rolling up and simply taking to the air is a problem for everyone as instantly, you would be breaking a number of rules you may not even be aware of, especially if relevant to custom and cultural subjects

So we have decided to be very pro-active in managing drones and visitors so they can fly within the rules and fly safe for everyone in the flight area. Remember, you are in a social environment where very few have any experience concerning drones - it's not even uncommon for village children to run up to a drone in an attempt to hold it !!!!

I could rave for an hour as to why we want to be proactive in assisting visitors, but we can only do it with co-operation.
We are here to help so please let us know if you need assistance along the way (and let me know if you find any more 404's :)

Best Regards
Mark

Taking a step back from my original post, I think I sound/am being much too ambitious, so I’ll clarify.

I’m traveling to Vanuatu on holiday and I always enjoy taking personal (handheld camera) photographs wherever I go. For this trip, I had really hoped to set myself up to take more unique photos (from this drone, if possible) to show family and friends why I’m traveling to what they refer to as a “crazy, isolated” place that I consider extremely beautiful and unique. Not many people in my life have ever heard of Vanuatu, and I’m very intrigued by the people, culture and beauty of it. I'm very excited to travel there and to meet people who reside there. I'm even bringing small gifts for those who have an impact on me.

Most of the photos and videos I planned to take (besides Mount Yasur, which I now realize likely isn’t possible) would be within 30 or so feet above water near where I’m staying….or even just unique shots of the bungalow that I’m staying in. I’d never use the drone above or very close to other people or without permission from others around me...or if it wasn't legal.

I searched for information on drones in Vanuatu (and Fiji) for hours and hours before posting this, and I never came across the Vanuatu Drone Zone website...or any other information on using a drone in Vanuatu. While looking at your website the other night, I see that many of the links do not work. I’d love if you can send me more information privately..or via this forum so others can refer to it in the future.

I am a law enforcement officer in the United States and I am always very respectable of laws, regulations, and others personal space and safety anywhere I am. I had planned to get careful guidance from the land owners where I planned to stay in Vanuatu and from any tour providers. Like I said, I would never fly it over people, or without permission and guidance from at least those around me who are knowledgable of local regulations and culture.

I would also never jeopardize having such an expensive piece of equipment lost or confiscated so if none of this works out and I can’t use it in Vanuatu, I’d be disappointed, but so be it.

Because your website does not seem to provide me with concise information that I obviously need to know, can you provide that to me here or via a private message now that I’ve stated more about what I had hoped to accomplish?

Hi John

try now and it should take you through to the registration sub-domain.
Any assistance I can give just let me know.
The website is due for public launch in the next couple of weeks, but we are providing the site now to help visitors in similar situation seeking the official Vanuatu info.
Our RPAS laws are different to Australia because they also take into account the cultural considerations of the country. Apart from that, whilst our laws are actually based on the New Zealand laws they are distinct and official law of the Republic of Vanuatu and are enforced just like any other Civil Aviation law or rule.

Best Regards
Mark

Hi Mark, I've signed up , easy as, but couldn't find a form for a paid license.

regards John

Hi John

Make sure you have logged in using the details of the free Pro Membership.
This will authorise a new link on the left main menu titled 'Drone Register' with a slide out menu listing the options.
Here you can fill in the forms for both drone and Pilot

regards
Mark

Hi Mark, I've signed up , easy as, but couldn't find a form for a paid license.

regards John

Reactions: JDG
Hi Mark,

So if I want to fly a drone in Vanuatu, it will cost :

Foreign visitor Media RPAS / Drone Registration
Part 101 - 100gms to 25kgs AU$113.00

Foreign visitor RPAS Pilot Registration
Part 101 - 100gms to 25kgs AU$113.00 for the pilots license

am I correct.

John

Hi John

No just for Foreign Visitor AUD $113.00, not Media (Commercial Use)
As a non commercial user the 2 fees are combined.

Media (commercial use) allows for multiple rpas registrations to a single pilot. Also requires commercial filming permits from the Cultural Centre.

We will separate them with specific menus as we fine tune the site over the next few days.

Hope that helps

regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

So if I want to fly a drone in Vanuatu, it will cost :

Foreign visitor Media RPAS / Drone Registration
Part 101 - 100gms to 25kgs AU$113.00

Foreign visitor RPAS Pilot Registration
Part 101 - 100gms to 25kgs AU$113.00 for the pilots license

am I correct.

John

Hi John

Yes, started around 4-5 years ago with the first Phantom 2 :)
We are working on a conducted trip each day so that visitors are fly in different locations.

Bit like a normal tour, but this is specifically to fly in authorised locations so you can get the good spots and tips etc if wanted without having to worry with finding landowners and lodging Flight Operation Plans which would be mandatory if flying unaccompanied.
We could offer different terrain and locations for each flight over a number of days.

I would be interested on your thoughts on this as it's a new idea we feel would really be appreciated by visiting drone pilots.

regards
Mark

Thanks Mark
By the way are you a drone pilot there, if you are I could do with some pointers if your willing.

regards
John

Hi John

Yes, started around 4-5 years ago with the first Phantom 2 :)
We are working on a conducted trip each day so that visitors are fly in different locations.

Bit like a normal tour, but this is specifically to fly in authorised locations so you can get the good spots and tips etc if wanted without having to worry with finding landowners and lodging Flight Operation Plans which would be mandatory if flying unaccompanied.
We could offer different terrain and locations for each flight over a number of days.

I would be interested on your thoughts on this as it's a new idea we feel would really be appreciated by visiting drone pilots.

regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

Anything that promotes tourism in Vanuatu is a great thing, I have been going to Vanuatu exclusively over all other destinations for the last eight years. I am trying to help an excellent guide who works for Evergreen and Chief Mezerei of Piluira, Pele Island, to have there own tour company and inexpensive accomodation stays. On my last visit, we discussed a base format for this over the course of a day.
I don't have the funds to promote it commercially, but will help them with the basic infrastructure. As you know, the Islands of Lelepa,Moso, Nguna, Pele and Emau have some beautiful scenery to be be filmed. And are sparse enough to be generally safe for the locals, I'm sure those destinations as well as many more are viable for your tours. Your fortunate to be on the ground there, I have learnt and respect the customs of the shefa people and a little of a few other provinces.

regards
John

Last edited:
I was in Fiji in March and had my Mavic with me.
You have to contact the Civil Aviation Authority of Fiji CAAF, they will send you a declaration form "OP 137" to fill out, print and bring it with you. Done.
I edited the PDF so you can type into the fields and print it instead of hand writing everything:

Attachments

• op_137_-_permission_to_operate_small_rpas.pdf
    376.6 KB · Views: 4
I was in Fiji in March and had my Mavic with me.
You have to contact the Civil Aviation Authority of Fiji CAAF, they will send you a declaration form "OP 137" to fill out, print and bring it with you. Done.
I edited the PDF so you can type into the fields and print it instead of hand writing everything:

Thanks! I found this online pretty quickly when I began my search weeks ago and I plan to bring it.

Hi All,

Anyone planning to be in Vanuatu in August 2018?

I've been in contact with John @Vanuatu RPAS and also registered on the drone.vu site for my RARN ID.
Just planning some legal flights and if there is anyone else in town, we could organise a drone tour if you're interested?

One part that confuses me with the payment is which one to select?
Option 1: RPAS Operator / Pilot Registration CAAV Rule Part 101 (100 gms to 25 kgs) $50
Option 2: RPAS / Drone Registration CAAV Rule Part 101 (100 gms to 25 kgs) $50
Option 3: RPAS / Drone Registration 2nd Unit CAAV Rule Part 101 (100 gms to 25 kgs)

If you only have 1 aircraft and 1 pilot, do you need to register for both option 1 and 2?
Also, it says you only get 1 months access to the logbook. Why can't this be accessible for as long as your RARN ID is valid?

Hi Paul

The second unit registration is only if you bring more than one RPAS - film crews typically bring 2 or 3.

So, select one registration for the Operator and one for the RPAS.

For the VanuatuDroneLogBook, most visitors are here less than a month, however, if needed it is extended to match the duration of the visit.

The 'VanuatuDroneLogBook' is a custom version of the international App - Drone LogBook which has been customised for us so that it reflects Vanuatu requirements etc.

If you wish to continue with the DroneLogBook after your visit, then it can be transferred to your own membership on the DroneLogBook site - all your details can be copied over and you can choose from various plans including a free one. You just need to create an account and then we can organise with the team in Switzerland to transfer the data across - this has already be done for quite a few past visitors.

For your tours, let me know which locations sound interesting and we will go through the exercise of creating a circuit. But we need to move quickly as it may take time if site surveys deem safety issues need to be taken care of before flights can take place.

Hope that helps
Best Regards
Mark

So, select one registration for the Operator and one for the RPAS

Okay, understand I will complete both of these, however I should do this no earlier than 2 weeks before my arrival due to the 1 month access right? I will be in Vanuatu for 14 days.

For your tours, let me know which locations sound interesting and we will go through the exercise of creating a circuit. But we need to move quickly as it may take time if site surveys deem safety issues need to be taken care of before flights can take place.

As I will only be staying in Efate, my places of interest are limited to only a few, with those being: The Blue Lagoon, Lelepa Island, Erakor Lagoon and out towards the Coral Sea (multiple launch spots). It will be my first visit to Vanuatu so I don't really know of any other 'must see' locations that would be suitable, however I am also interested in farm land, villages and meeting the locals, but don't want to offend anyone.

If there is no one else in town / interested in a tour whilst I am there, I'm still interested in getting a driver for a day and visiting a few spots to fly - I am also an avid photographer so not all drone related. If you can recommend someone for this purpose, please message me their details. Would probably use them multiple days to take the family to various sites as well.

Hi Paul
You should start as soon as possible so you leave enough time to plan.

The one month limit is only a guide and we prefer you take as much time as you need so if you have any questions, there's plenty of time to get answers.

There are no charges using the logbook as we provide it as a service. If you were here 2 months, then you would have 2 months (including planning time before you arrive as is your case)

As soon as you have completed your registrations, I can apply that info to setting up your logbook. Then we can talk to some of the managers at key locations and organise permissions for your drone tour :)

Best Regards
Mark

Reactions: PavleAU
i just got back from vacation and I’m glad I took a external hard drive with me to store the 260 gig of video and pictures I took. Have a safe trip and safe flying.

Reactions: PavleAU
For Fiji and Vanuatu, you will require a permit, or permission basically. The process takes a couple weeks and can be done via the government authorities directly, or we can do it for you for a small fee. We try and keep an up to date version of the laws for both countries via the following links,

Fiji Drone Laws & Permits
Vanuatu Drone Laws & Permits

Safe travels, let us know if you have any questions and we would be happy to provide advice and help!

For Fiji and Vanuatu, you will require a permit, or permission basically. The process takes a couple weeks and can be done via the government authorities directly, or we can do it for you for a small fee. We try and keep an up to date version of the laws for both countries via the following links,

Fiji Drone Laws & Permits
Vanuatu Drone Laws & Permits

Safe travels, let us know if you have any questions and we would be happy to provide advice and help!
This is a scam - you cannot apply on behalf of someone else to obtain a 'permit' for Vanuatu - they do not even have 'Permits'.
You have no authority to provide this service and most of the info in your post is false

Bottom line, you are obtaining money by deception

This is a scam - you cannot apply on behalf of someone else to obtain a 'permit' for Vanuatu - they do not even have 'Permits'.
You have no authority to provide this service and most of the info in your post is false

Bottom line, you are obtaining money by deception

No, it is not a scam, we very clearly state on the site, "if we cannot obtain permission/permit for you, we will issue a full refund." Payment is via Paypal or Amazon Pay which have very easy dispute methods for customers to get their money back if we do not deliver what we said. So I would advise you to re-evaluate what you said.

We are not issuing the permits, we are simply an intermediary between the user and the government in Vanuatu who does the paperwork and files the appropriate forms on behalf of the user. We do not claim to be anything other than that.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine