DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I have forgot SD card

Been there done that ....but... does the drone have any built in memory allocated to storage of imagery? It would be worth checking.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I would recommend to not routinely remove the MicroSD Card. It is small, and kind of fragile. It's easy to drop and loose it in the field and the Slot that it fits into on your drone is not a particularly strong piece of hardware.

If you are using a small capacity one, get a bigger one. Besides downloading the files via quick transfer, you can plug your drone straight into your PC and download the files like you would from any plug in card or thumb drive.

I would recommend to not routinely remove the MicroSD Card. It is small, and kind of fragile. It's easy to drop and loose it in the field and the Slot that it fits into on your drone is not a particularly strong piece of hardware.

If you are using a small capacity one, get a bigger one. Besides downloading the files via quick transfer, you can plug your drone straight into your PC and download the files like you would from any plug in card or thumb drive.

I remove and reinstall my memory card in my MA2 and A2S after every flight and haven't had any trouble. Even the rubber cover for the slot isn't showing any wear. I agree about them being easily lost, but that's easily remedied by being careful about what you do with it once you remove it.

• Wow

We remove/replace the SD card with EVERY battery change in order to maintain the DATA we are collecting. I've got aircraft with many many flights over years old and have yet to have any type of SD Card Slot problems.

Carrying spares and swapping out the card after every flight of flight session could help you to NOT lose a lot of irreplaceable data. I learned that lesson the hard way in 2016.

Of course YMMV but card swapping is a very good idea IMHO.

For the OP.... I have at least one "spare" SD card in every vehicle we drive "just in case".

@ak91hu Many of us have made the mistake of putting an SD card in our computers and then forgetting to take them out and reinserting them into our drones. I know I have, at least once.

I guess you too found out the hard way about carrying spare SD cards. IMO it doesn't matter what routine you use for swapping cards between missions or not. But, as we all learn this lesson, often the hard way... ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS keep a spare SD card or two in your case. Regardless of whether or not you have a card installed in your drone, your CASE should never ever be without a SD card in it! They are cheap, so there is no excuse not to have a bunch of SD cards on hand.

The last thing is that each time, before you fly, you should inspect your drone. Make part of that inspection checking to see that an SD card is installed. But if you get your drone up in the air and discover there is no card... you always have one in the case and it becomes a small inconvenience to bring your drone home, insert the spare card and relaunch.

This is the basis for my pessimism about swapping MicroSD Cards out like batteries. I'm not trying be the portent of doom, but as you can see in the attached photo, the MicroSD Card holder is a small metal bracket mounted onto a plastic base that is Hot Glued onto the Flight Board.

Judging from the responses, many commercial flyers are swapping out their cards, apparently without problems, so I say, go for it.

Good Luck and may you have many Safe, Happy, and Profitable Hours of Flying…

card slot.png

The same as the others above I've removed the sd card after every flight on my Mavic and Mavic 2 pro, I think the latter is around three years old so that's a fair amount and never had any problems. I don't recall any users on this forum reporting problems with the sd card slot after using it too often and crucially at least on my devices, you can remove and insert the SD cards without unfolding or powering up the drone. To copy the files to a PC otherwise means unfolding the drone, removing the gimbal cover and powering it up (as far as I'm aware there's no disk only mode).

As I have written before, you can download your files directly from your drone to your PC, at least with the various Mini Series. Turn on your drone, and then plug your charge/data cord into your drone and your PC and the PC treats the Drone just like any other remote drive.

IF you plug in your drone before powering up the drone, it goes into charge mode and your PC cannot see it…

As I have written before, you can download your files directly from your drone to your PC, at least with the various Mini Series. Turn on your drone, and then plug your charge/data cord into your drone and your PC and the PC treats the Drone just like any other remote drive.

IF you plug in your drone before powering up the drone, it goes into charge mode and your PC cannot see it…
I'm not disputing that you can do it but I'm saying it's not a good way to transfer the files since you need to unfold the drone, take off the protectors, position the drone somewhere (I've no space near my desktop for a folded out Mavic so need an extra long USB cable when using Assistant with it) and then finally hook it up then do it all in reverse to put it away again, The SD card can come straight out the drone without even needing to fold out the legs so it's far more convenient as the drone can remain packed away. Despite your claims about the fragility of the SD card slot, there's no evidence of it being an actual problem on drones.

As I've stated earlier, i do not have any "dogs in this fight" nor anything to gain or loose. I only wished to ring a "Small Bell" to sound the alarm that this slot is small and not an integrated part of the the flight board. Also, I was only stating the requirements to direct connect the Drone to the PC to download for the Mini's. For my Mini 2, the MicroSD card is in back and no arm-unfoldingis necessary. I only remove the Gimbal protector so the Gimbal can complete it's self-check on powering up my little bird...

May you always have Clear Skies and Soft Winds...

I see a 1 TB micro SD that meets DJI specs for use in a Mavic is running about $200 US now. Hoping it will come down some more.
Anyone else thinking of a price point to finally buy one? I wonder how much of that is usable.
I just keep 2 X 256GB now. Remember the 64MB thumb drive for $150?
Us ancients who used to depend on a 1.44MB floppy must really wonder what storage capacity may be in another 20 years.
I seem okay flying a 256 card.
Anyone planning to get the 1 TB micro SD?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid