DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Never Press RTH

Slantnose79

Reactions
6a262a30090ecd765544f58ac1763df5.jpg

So, 62 flights (no crashes) and I only pressed the RTH once. And, cancelled it a few seconds later after the AC turned and pointed towards home. I don't know if this is normal behavior, but I'm baffled by how many posts I've read describing pilots seemingly pressing RTH every flight?

Am I just a control freak? Can't seem to 'let go'??

I like flying the AC in for a landing (every time). What are others thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I think that I used RTH once just to see it in action, but aside from that I've never used it again. In fact, I believe that DJI has said that it is only to be used if all else fails.

I've used rth more than not with all mine but always take it back before it starts down. Don't think I have ever just let it land by itself . And have hand caught all mine 99.9% of the time. You have to trust rth if you fly a lot .
And I fly a lot .
IMG_7693.jpg

I use it about 1/4 of the time. I also use Litchi waypoint missions alot where, after takeoff, the mavic is auto-controlled throughout the entire flight including landing, but I also use the cruise control in my truck and the autopilot in my Tesla. I just think this stuff is very cool. Others don't. I'm ok with that.

I've used rth more than not with all mine but always take it back before it starts down. Don't think I have ever just let it land by itself . And have hand caught all mine 99.9% of the time. You have to trust rth if you fly a lot .
And I fly a lot .
View attachment 6887

**** Dirk! I figure you've flown from New Orleans to New Hampshire!! Very impressive!!!
4f90c0348508c68bbbacea395ee38ee0.jpg

I think that I used RTH once just to see it in action, but aside from that I've never used it again. In fact, I believe that DJI has said that it is only to be used if all else fails.
Could you point out the page in the manual that says that. The manual I read painted a very rosy picture of all the return to home functions.

I use it about 1/4 of the time. I also use Litchi waypoint missions alot where, after takeoff, the mavic is auto-controlled throughout the entire flight including landing, but I also use the cruise control in my truck and the autopilot in my Tesla. I just think this stuff is very cool. Others don't. I'm ok with that.

I'm beginning to think I'm missing out on RTH. I'll have to start making a point of doing some fully auto RTHs.

I'm beginning to think I'm missing out on RTH. I'll have to start making a point of doing some fully auto RTHs.

Just remember to takeoff straight up for 30 or 40 feet so the downward facing cameras can get some good shots of the takeoff point. You can yaw all the circles you want, but just go straight up. If the cameras doesn't get photos then the landing might be 5-8 feet from the takeoff spot (just GPS location) and it is the precision landing that makes it fun to watch.

I don't tend to use RTH on a regular basis on any of my Drones. I have used it a couple times when I've lost sight of it and wanted to bring it back close enough where I could see it. I will from time-to-time test RTH to ensure its working properly...

I've also played with it a bit to see just how close it will come to the home point. With all that said, I've only let RTH actually land my drones just a couple times.

Never used it with my Phantoms up to the 3 Pro, but it seems to be the norm these days so use it more often than not with the Mavic Pro. The manual landing is not quite what it used to be now that the Mavic pauses a few feet up so you question just how much of that is manual and how much is auto. RTH has always worked perfectly for me, only annoying thing is the beeping noise from the controller so I tend to use it from relatively close in and only if I have the RTH set low otherwise there is no point having it climb only to descend almost immediately.

I do think it is pretty remarkable how well it can return, descend, reorient to land perfectly in its original take off position. At the very least it is a great demonstration of how far the technology has come.

I have done it once, just to check the precision landing which was flawless. Never used it again though, but that's mainly because I'm invariably flying from uneven ground, mud, longer grass etc etc so I hand catch 90% of the time. There's no doubt it's a great feature though.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Slantnose79
Are you looking for some praise?
If so, you're very good.

Nope, just didn't understand [maybe until now] why so much 'excitement' to utilize this function. Like I stated, I've read a lot of posts which read something like this: "I was flying along, something went amiss, so I pressed RTH..." My instinct when something goes amiss, is to stop all inputs, think, re-orient myself with the AC and the Controls/Displays then begin flying again. I guess I've never lost contact for more than a minute [closing and restarting the app], and I figured the AC wasn't going anywhere while doing so.

I'll give it a couple go's in the next few weeks. I've read the manual and a lot of posts which show the pitfalls of RTH when your close to the Home Point or when you're 'below' obstructions. I do like the suggestions to fly up about 15m and stop to let the AC paint a picture of the take-off/landing spot. I tend to "fly away from the takeoff point" as soon as I lift off. This is mainly due to my close proximity to the AC and don't want it 'wandering' in my direction upon takeoff. And, I always take off with full GPS and verified Home Point.

Thank you everyone for your input on this! Shannon

Reactions: bakerboy
I've used it on nearly all my flights, usually it's because I've gotten a curious individual come up and start talking to me. I'll hit rth, and answer their questions while making sure my landing site is clear. Every time it's landed within inches of where I took off.

If I'm just buzzing around my backyard I land manually since I take off from a small picnic table so my dogs don't get too close.

Reactions: GravityIsRelentless
Yep same here. Only used it once and have never had it initialize automatically for me. As soon as i hit 1 bar of singal is when progress no further. I always manual launch and land.

Reactions: Slantnose79
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007