DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If it’s a will just Photoshop it

ac0j - It it came from behind me upwind and I heard it literally as it passed me. I panicked and tried to go down then realised it was probably lower than drone and just let off the controls because I turned round to look at the chopper coming I lost sight of the drone. As soon as the chopper passed I saw it again, it must have been within 50m of the chopper.

Slim, I dont mean to derail your thread, but one more helicopter thing that doesnt deserve a new thread. Then I'll stop!

My wife and I went to a car show in lincoln Nebraska two summers ago, I live about 100 miles west of there. We went there on interstate 80 (we were driving the Green Wagon in my avatar) but people kept driving up next to us along the way and slowing down to thumbs up every so often, even 18 wheelers did this a few times. It freaked my wife out! So later that day we came home on US34. We are talking flat land no features middle of nowhere here. As I was west bound with the evening sun in my eyes, I notice a helicopter coming towards us following the same highway. I would guess he was at 300feet or so, as I closed on it it descended, until I swear it wasnt 50' above me as we passed directly under it. I looked in the rear view, his skids were lower than the wood pole powerlines along the road, he climbed to maybe 100 and turned and followed me for about a mile. then turned back eastbound and gained altitude. I thought it might be the state patrol, and I was going a bit faster than they would like. Thinking the rest of the way home I would encounter a patrol cruiser waiting to ticket me. Never happened. Weird day that was!

I need to work on me shadow game before passing it by @sar104

@Cymruflyer thoughts
can you tell it’s fake
Fake??? ...Blatantly obvious! The first thing is the shadow of the aircraft on the ground, it has been taken from a shadow that was over a car park and repasted on the new ground photo, see all those line that cars should park between in the aircraft shadow? Then there is the aircraft it self, you can see that the nose has a bit missing and possibly the wing tips, especially on the right. But then another big give away is the light source. You can see that the light is coming from the bottom right on the aircraft, take a look at the tail and see the angle the shadow falls from it on the tailplane. Your shadow in the fake, is showing as if it had a light source coming from the upper right of the aircraft. Therefore, that, plus the fact that the ground or background image of houses and trees does not show the strong sunlight on them that is creating the same light source on the aircraft, all go to show clearly this is a FAKE !!!! But thanks for all the effort you went through to cut this all out and re-paste for us.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Fake??? ...Blatantly obvious! The first thing is the shadow of the aircraft on the ground, it has been taken from a shadow that was over a car park and repasted on the new ground photo, see all those line that cars should park between in the aircraft shadow? Then there is the aircraft it self, you can see that the nose has a bit missing and possibly the wing tips, especially on the right. But then another big give away is the light source. You can see that the light is coming from the bottom right on the aircraft, take a look at the tail and see the angle the shadow falls from it on the tailplane. Your shadow in the fake, is showing as if it had a light source coming from the upper right of the aircraft. Therefore, that, plus the fact that the ground or background image of houses and trees does not show the strong sunlight on them that is creating the same light source on the aircraft, all go to show clearly this is a FAKE !!!! But thanks for all the effort you went through to cut this all out and re-paste for us.

Also the plane has no engines but the shadow does;)

Here's a little suggestion for the shadow:

Put the shadow on it's own layer in PS. Get rid of the lines, so you have a solid grey to grey-black fill. Then reduce the opacity of the layer - that will allow some of the ground to show through it, giving the shadow a realistic appearance. You can reduce the opacity quite a bit and let a lot of the ground come through, as shadows don't obfuscate what's under them.

Also...follow the shadow on the tail fin. That will tell you the direction of the sun. Then you can follow that direction to determine where the ground shadow would actually fall (you're a little to 'forward' according to the shadow on the tail). If you put the shadow on it's own layer and reduce it's opacity, you can then move it around on the ground until you get it in a spot that looks most natural. THEN we can call the FAA! :)

Here's a little suggestion for the shadow:

Put the shadow on it's own layer in PS. Get rid of the lines, so you have a solid grey to grey-black fill. Then reduce the opacity of the layer - that will allow some of the ground to show through it, giving the shadow a realistic appearance. You can reduce the opacity quite a bit and let a lot of the ground come through, as shadows don't obfuscate what's under them.

Also...follow the shadow on the tail fin. That will tell you the direction of the sun. Then you can follow that direction to determine where the ground shadow would actually fall (you're a little to 'forward' according to the shadow on the tail). If you put the shadow on it's own layer and reduce it's opacity, you can then move it around on the ground until you get it in a spot that looks most natural. THEN we can call the FAA! :)
Problem is with this one, you still can't match the lighting on the ground, which is not as harsh, as the lighting on the aircraft. This guy is a great photographer though, in his own right, take a look at his website.

Last edited:
:mad:
Oh Yeah ok then

Reactions: Porky
Problem is with this one, you still can't match the lighting on the ground, which is not as harsh, as the lighting on the aircraft. This guy is a great photographer though, in his own right, take a look at his website.
Sure ya can...you can ANYTHING in Photoshop!

Also...follow the shadow on the tail fin. That will tell you the direction of the sun. Then you can follow that direction to determine where the ground shadow would actually fall (you're a little to 'forward' according to the shadow on the tail).
Thank You Sir

I couldn’t really figure out which way to tilt the plane
Spot on tip;)

That’s pretty good, like the way you’ve repulated the main shadow to the tail shadow.
Thanks...I also toned down the plane white and 'blued' it to match the coloration on the ground...While I was at it, I removed the engine from the shadow and put a slight blur on it to soften the edges...

Thank You Sir

I couldn’t really figure out which way to tilt the plane
Spot on tip;)
I told you here how you could see that... "it's obvious. You can see that the light is coming from the bottom right on the aircraft, take a look at the tail and see the angle the shadow falls from it on the tailplane."

Last edited:
Thanks...I also toned down the plane white and 'blued' it to match the coloration on the ground...While I was at it, I removed the engine from the shadow and put a slight blur on it to soften the edges...
Nice job but you still have a hard shadow on the tail but almost no shadow on the soft light ground.

Nice job but you still have a hard shadow on the tail but almost no shadow on the soft light ground.
I'm going to say that the plane is higher than you think...and that the shadow has dissipated by the time it has reached the ground...therefore, it's a lot sharper (and darker) immediately on the tail fin, but far more dispersed as it reaches the ground.

Or, I'm just lazy. :)

Your pick!

Sure ya can...you can ANYTHING in Photoshop!
While that is true to an extent, I would like to see you apply a shadowing to every single element on the ground that would produce a shadow, to the level that the shadow on the tail of the aircraft is showing. Some things are just far too costly in time to try and replicate, even in Photoshop, which I work in extensively. That is why I stated that you can not create the same shadowing on the ground, that is shown on the aircraft regarding the intensity. If you had to do anything, it would be to soften the shadow to almost nothing, on the aircraft, far less work..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky