DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Important: Samsung S7 no longer a supported device

I hope you're right on all accounts but I'm sure there is some fine print somewhere that protects them. And in the meantime, what, just take our chances? And this just another reason why I bought State Farm insurance on day two.

And there are so many great stories and results. Why I got onboard too.

Man this sucks.
Only problem I see, because they are a Chinese company, they can get away with it all but they are selling into the international markets, they have obligations they need to abide , if the phones are on their list somewhere then it supposed to work as advertised. If they removed them without announcing officially , they have obligation to make it right, the problem will they ??...I guess it depends how much noise you make, no company likes negative anyting coming from consumer., just remember that..I'm going to fly today with my S7E and if there are major issues, DJI will hear from me big time. . Will it make any difference, I suspect it will be addressed on individual basis..They do get away with a lot of BS, already..

Reactions: RobP62
I tell ya, I have a friend that is very anti apple for a lot of "do it our way or no way, and oh, while your at it, pay us a lot of money for little return" reasons. This guy has not steered me wrong yet and I trust him 100%. Besides owning a Mavic and never having an issue with it or using his N4 he is also a pilot. Oh, and he's a firm believer in if it's not broke don't fix it but also a firm believer in keeping his devices up to date so I'll assume he's current. I haven't talked to him yet this weekend to find out for sure, but I will now, and see what he says and post back.

His latest airplane build is classified as a "Experimental" type aircraft. So it came as a shock to me when he told me he "had" to install an iPad for operation purposes. Believe me, if he didn't have to he wouldn't have. Oh I rode him hard on it and yea we laughed but it was that or not fly the plane.

I feel bad for everyone having issues, possibly myself included but I have too much fun and I am just scratching the surface on that front to give up. I'm not rich and I'm in for almost 2k with my initial investment and accessories. As a matter of fact, my Nanuk 935 was just delivered today. More things are coming from Amazon as I type this.

So like I said before, I will play along (and I know Apple is eating this up and that kills me) and do whatever I have to do to enjoy my investment.

But I hear ya all!

Reactions: TStarr
I'm using my old droid turbo with the latest firmware ( .600 ) and have never had a problem. Never had the app close or any kind of disconnect. My everyday cell is an S7E but I didn't want to use it so I could still text and get calls if needed. Never realized there was any kind of list of approved devices to use.

What I'm struggling with is everyone having issues with their android device. Simply place it in airplane mode and be sure push notifications for your other apps are disabled. The one and only time I've had a disconnect was neglecting to place in airplane mode and got a text from my wife. I still had HOS controll and just rebooted the app. I'm not sure what grounds DJI would think they have denying a claim given the fact that the drone can be operated absent a phone or tablet completely.

What I'm struggling with is everyone having issues with their android device. Simply place it in airplane mode and be sure push notifications for your other apps are disabled. The one and only time I've had a disconnect was neglecting to place in airplane mode and got a text from my wife. I still had HOS controll and just rebooted the app. I'm not sure what grounds DJI would think they have denying a claim given the fact that the drone can be operated absent a phone or tablet completely.
In airplane mode, aren't GPS and internet disabled? I think I'm missing something here. I know I can download Google Earth maps for any area (and amount) desired but will this work for establishing the home point or do you just set the home point as the controller? Will the controller lock onto sats without a phone connected to the internet?

Thank you.
Rob

I believe the GPS is built in to the RC. This is why it works with a tablet like the Nvidia Shield that has no cellular or gps.

On any of my devices, turning on Airplane mode turns off Cell radio, Bluetooth, and Wifi radios. I can go in afterwards and turn WiFi back on (so I can use WiFi on the airplane). GPS is never disabled in Airplane mode on any of my devices.

In airplane mode, aren't GPS and internet disabled? I think I'm missing something here. I know I can download Google Earth maps for any area (and amount) desired but will this work for establishing the home point or do you just set the home point as the controller? Will the controller lock onto sats without a phone connected to the internet?

Thank you.
Rob

Only internet and cell radio GPS remains functional because GPS is nothing more than positioning the only data transfer that occurs is your phone broadcasting a carrier wave signal. The idea is that you do not want anything interrupting the function of the application. My standard practice is to get everything fired up leaving the phone connected through the initial load phase and checking for updates and flight restrictions. Once I have the green light to fly I open me active application menu, close everything except for the DJI app and then place my phone into airplane mode. Doing this will block any incoming calls or notifications which is typically what causes the app to crash. Other than that the only thing you really need to make sure is that your device is capable of running the app meaning that you have enough available Ram to handle everything. And do not forget to keep the limit on your cache file small you don't want that filling up your device.

Reactions: RobP62 and dbyantis
Only internet and cell radio GPS remains functional because GPS is nothing more than positioning the only data transfer that occurs is your phone broadcasting a carrier wave signal. The idea is that you do not want anything interrupting the function of the application. My standard practice is to get everything fired up leaving the phone connected through the initial load phase and checking for updates and flight restrictions. Once I have the green light to fly I open me active application menu, close everything except for the DJI app and then place my phone into airplane mode. Doing this will block any incoming calls or notifications which is typically what causes the app to crash. Other than that the only thing you really need to make sure is that your device is capable of running the app meaning that you have enough available Ram to handle everything. And do not forget to keep the limit on your cache file small you don't want that filling up your device.
Thank you very much for the great instructions. Really appreciate the help on this forum!
Rob

On any of my devices, turning on Airplane mode turns off Cell radio, Bluetooth, and Wifi radios. I can go in afterwards and turn WiFi back on (so I can use WiFi on the airplane). GPS is never disabled in Airplane mode on any of my devices.
Hmmmm, I'll have to try this. Thanks a bunch!
Rob

I use plane mode then in the phone turn on location and you have your sat's

I use plane mode then in the phone turn on location and you have your sat's
Well it certainly seems like this and the other responses are right.....I just set the phone to airplane mode, location was already on, then I opened the Google Maps app, sure enough, my location was right.

I'm going to test it again.

I'm going to to leave it in airplane mode and try to use the Waze app which relies on gps, on my way to work. It 44 miles away.

Thanks again!
Rob

If i use my S7E i boot up the model, let everything connect then pop in to airplane mode.
This would allow the caching of the map.
You lose dynamic home positioning but i never go anywhere away from take off point so no problem.

If i go to a new area i simply hook my S7E to my mini ipad via hotspot and once the map has cached i then switch off the HS and fly :)

My S7 is the worst smart phone I have ever owned, I LOVED my Note 3. Still I have been successfully using my S7 until my tablet/RC adapter comes in later today. Then I will be using my Samsung Tab E, which I have not actually seen on their supported device list. My only concern with the Tab E is it's almost laughably small amount of RAM, otherwise the thing has been a rock star for me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_