DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Important: Samsung S7 no longer a supported device

Good point. But I'm willing to bet that if you lose a Mavic flying with a device that they can point to as being not recommended or supported, good luck with your refresh claim.
I suppose that's a fair argument (not for us), legally though do they have ground to stand on if you purchased it and used it with a supported device that they then removed?

do they have ground to stand on if you purchased it and used it with a supported device that they then removed?
As I noted above, the devices the OP is claiming were removed were never even on the list he is referencing. They were only added to the list in the "Downloads" section (the list in my screenshot above). For some reason, DJI hasn't updated the other list since sometime last year. You'll see the same difference in the lists if you go to the P4P section of DJI's website or the other aircraft that use DJI GO 4.

As I noted above, the devices the OP is claiming were removed were never even on the list he is referencing. They were only added to the list in the "Downloads" section (the list in my screenshot above). For some reason, DJI hasn't updated the other list since sometime last year. You'll see the same difference in the lists if you go to the P4P section of DJI's website or the other aircraft that use DJI GO 4.

Msinger: I didn't claim "devices" were removed from the list. I claimed that the S7 was removed from the list, which was told to me by customer support. When I bought my mavic 3 weeks ago, I checked the list and the S7 was on it. Maybe I checked the wrong list?

Maybe I checked the wrong list?
Yes, sir. That's what I've been trying to point out. Those lists have not changed over the past 3 weeks.

Yes, sir. That's what I've been trying to point out. Those lists have not changed over the past 3 weeks.
Ok thank you

I have to ask, does it really matter? My Note 4 is supported and I've had nothing but problems with DJI Go 4. Crashes and prevents my wifi from functioning until I force close the app. I told DJI and they said there is nothing they can do. So tell me what is the perk of having a supported device? They clearly haven't been fixing their issues for devices that are supported, do you think it's really going to matter if it's not supported anymore?

I agree it doesn't really matter, I have a note 4 which is officially supported and like you it keeps crashing while it seems to work OK on my unsupported Sony Z Ultra. With android devices it seems a complete gamble even with the same device as I've seen some people who have said their note 4 works fine and some people say their s7 works fine but not for others.

If I was choosing a device for the Mavic, even though I'm not an apple fan it would be an ipad mini 4 as it seems to have more consistent performance.

Good point. But I'm willing to bet that if you lose a Mavic flying with a device that they can point to as being not recommended or supported, good luck with your refresh claim.

With the refresh claim it doesn't matter, as long as you can get the drone back you can get it repaired/replaced.

For the warranty, I've not seen any indication a malfunctioning mobile device could be the cause of the drone flying away. The main issue would just be whether the logs could be retrieved from the mobile device, that's the issue with litchi is if the drone flies away due to a defect, dji would want official logs from their application to check what happened. It could be possible for the instability of the app to prevent a proper log being created but that could happen on a supported device as well.

My main concern with the app is that I lose the connection on the app and can't get it back when the drone is not nearby. I had the phone hard lock on me and couldn't get it back so had to fly the drone back blind but thankfully it's been fine since I wiped the phone otherwise I'd have bought another mobile device.

Reactions: dlopezjurado
Who really cares about the supported list, it does guarantee anything. I run the DJI GO 4 app on my HTC 10 (unsupported) and it's flawless so far.

Reactions: robcio
Lost my mavic while using the S7!!!
Worked fine prior to the forced update. Was stable and didnt miss a beat. Forced update for the go4 app and was full of bugs, freezes, lag, glitches and crashes. No logs either!
Thanks DJI... only one word to descibe your software methodology and it starts with F and ends with D.

Lost my mavic while using the S7!!!
Worked fine prior to the forced update. Was stable and didnt miss a beat. Forced update for the go4 app and was full of bugs, freezes, lag, glitches and crashes. No logs either!
Thanks DJI... only one word to descibe your software methodology and it starts with F and ends with D.

How long ago and do you know which update?

@Johnmcl7 & @CP Imagined, you'll both be happy to know DJI finally updated the ancient supported tablets list in the Mavic specs section of their website. It looks like we can finally put this rumor to bed.

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: Shanedel and X424
@Johnmcl7 & @CP Imagined, you'll both be happy to know DJI finally updated the ancient supported tablets list in the Mavic specs section of their website. It looks like we can finally put this rumor to bed.

View attachment 10498
Thanks msinger [emoji4]

Flew 3 batteries today with .600 firmware and 4.0.6 on S7 and it largely went well. Phone was in aeroplane mode as per usual. Happy to see that the voltage drops I was getting have now disappeared. Used to get voltage drops of up to 0.47v on one of my batteries multiple times per flight. 2 flights today on that battery and it didn't deviate at all.

As for app lock ups, or general unresponsiveness, they have some way to go there. I had one period of total unresponsiveness from the app lasting about 50 seconds. Was still able to manually pilot thanks to stable RC transmission level.

Had one hard crash of app. Restarted app and reconnected with drone while it was in a hover.

Not sure what is still causing these issues. Litchi was uninstalled from my phone at the time.

It was never a 'rumour', the compatibility list which included the S7 was an error on that webpage and the one without the S7 was the correct one as that's the one DJI went by both on their forums and on the phone. The S7 has now been put back on the list and it appears the LG V20 has been added, the error with the differing lists has also been corrected so that both are the same.

John

Reactions: FearMe
Thanks msinger [emoji4]

Flew 3 batteries today with .600 firmware and 4.0.6 on S7 and it largely went well. Phone was in aeroplane mode as per usual. Happy to see that the voltage drops I was getting have now disappeared. Used to get voltage drops of up to 0.47v on one of my batteries multiple times per flight. 2 flights today on that battery and it didn't deviate at all.

As for app lock ups, or general unresponsiveness, they have some way to go there. I had one period of total unresponsiveness from the app lasting about 50 seconds. Was still able to manually pilot thanks to stable RC transmission level.

Had one hard crash of app. Restarted app and reconnected with drone while it was in a hover.

Not sure what is still causing these issues. Litchi was uninstalled from my phone at the time.

In all honesty, I don't think the compatibility list means much as my Note 4 which is on the list is unusable with DJi Go 4 while the unsupported Sony Z Ultra works fine. I would like to be wrong on this but I can't see their Android support changing much unfortunately particularly when changes in the Android firmware can cause so many issues as we've seen with Android v7/Nougat.

John

How long ago and do you know which update?

Whatever version was the latest on March 29.

So many damned updates i cant keep track of versions anymore!
Seems like every time I'm in the field flying there is either a GO or FW update required and i owned 4 DJI products and the update treadmill is never ending.
Like i said, everything was working fine on both my S7 and Tab-S and now neither work!
Forced to buy a F#$+^&% Apple device now as well as a replacement Mavic....

View attachment 10498

Samsung S7 and Tab-S experience identical glitches and lag that is seriously bad if the app doesn't crash.
Also, the S7 gets really really really hot.

Both devices and drones worked perfectly prior to updates.

My new approach to methodology for updates.....
Will purchase an unwanted ipad4 specifically for my drones. If the software is stable on that device across all my drone fleet, internet will be turned off for good on that device and updates will be avoided at all costs.
For the sake of stability and sanity i can do without maps.
Broken GO4 & FW updates suck, particularly when they occur in the field and prevent you from focusing on flying!

This really sucks. I have a S7E and while I haven't had a problem yet, I haven't installed the latest FW update yet either. I did install .0550 however. I'm only 5 flights in so far and only 2 on that update, so very very new to this all.

I've never been a Apple user. I've learned over time, for my needs, Samsung products work and work well.

Now, since I own a Mavic I am an Apple product user. Again, it sucks big time thinking my otherwise great device might be the weak link for this one activity. But since DJI is Apple I don't expect them to be sympathetic at all if something were to fail.

I think to avoid failures though, I may just go with a NVIDIA SHIELD tablet K1. This device seems to be favoured by many Mav users. Either that or "drink the coolaide" as we say and go with an iPad mini.

But then what? How do I utilize these devices without cell service on them? Can I keep my S7E in my pocket with the hotspot on and wifi connect? Will I have GPS and Maps for the Mav? I won't fly without them. Sorry. Just want every failsafe feature, needed or not.

Maybe just take my chances with the S7E until DJI starts selling the Crystalsky?

I don't know what to do........so disappointed.
Rob

DJI has an obligation to announce officially if there is particular issue with a certain tablet or phone if it was on their list now or in the past.. I have S7 edges and Nvidia Shield and I have never had problems until 2 software updates ago where the S7E would shut off every few seconds. Nvidia is fine..I'm hoping with the new updates this is now resolved , if its the same. I will be sending DJI an nasty email , no matter the people responsble if its Samsung or DJI, they have the responsibility to make it right and you have have legal right. I made the investment to purchase S7E just for my MAVIC. You have the right to get satisfaction for safe control of your MAVIC..and that is their obligation

DJI has an obligation to announce officially if there is particular issue with a certain tablet or phone if it was on their list now or in the past.. I have S7 edges and Nvidia Shield and I have never had problems until 2 software updates ago where the S7E would shut off every few seconds. Nvidia is fine..I'm hoping with the new updates this is now resolved , if its the same. I will be sending DJI an nasty email , no matter the people responsble if its Samsung or DJI, they have the responsibility to make it right and you have have legal right. I made the investment to purchase S7E just for my MAVIC. You have the right to get satisfaction for safe control of your MAVIC..and that is their obligation
I hope you're right on all accounts but I'm sure there is some fine print somewhere that protects them. And in the meantime, what, just take our chances? And this just another reason why I bought State Farm insurance on day two.

And there are so many great stories and results. Why I got onboard too.

Man this sucks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2