DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to charge safely a MP Battery from a portable PBank?

66,800mah is the powerall, and the cheap china chargers charge at 12.5v instead of 13.4v like dji chargers start at!

Reactions: dlopezjurado
Hello everybody and thanks in advance for your help

I´ve been reading some threads here, but none of them clearly explain that.
I am terrible with electricity...so basically I don´t know much about Amps, and Volts...I just know a bit.

All the threads I´ve been reading always deviate too much into electricity discussions or mods impossible to understand for a person like me.

So my question is simple.

Is there a portable power bank out there on the market, capable of charging safely (for me and for the battery) one battery of my MP?

My question is to solve a very common problem that happens to me. I sometimes hike in the mountain for 3 days...and just 4 batteries is not enough to fly all weekend...so...I accept other ideas than the power bank too!

No intention to find mods or things like that...just the right power bank...

THANKS!!!

These batts need a fairly high DC voltage to be sustained for the full charging period. Consider how powerful the Magic batteries are, how much capacity they have, you'll end up with a pretty large power bank.

If you do find one that seems to be enough, it might not be so.

If you intend to use the automobile charger, it will not work unless the input voltage is about 14V. You won't get that in the field unless you have running car.

You could use a DROK to step up the voltage to the required level, I have seen others do it. I haven't tried it myself yet, I have been considering using a large car battery and hooking up a DROK to it to output the desired voltage but I don't have any need for it at the moment.

Here is someone charging the Mavic battery from a 2s (7.4v battery)

66,800mah is the powerall, and the cheap china chargers charge at 12.5v instead of 13.4v like dji chargers start at!

That's interesting, maybe there is a voltage step up converter in the Chinese charger. I saw another video where the guy was using a Chinese car charger with the car off, which means that one was also charging at around 12.5v.

EDIT/ here's the other video, charging with the engine off.

Last edited:
You could use a DROK to step up the voltage to the required level, I have seen others do it. I haven't tried it myself yet, I have been considering using a large car battery and hooking up a DROK to it to output the desired voltage but I don't have any need for it at the moment.

Here is someone charging the Mavic battery from a 2s (7.4v battery)

That's interesting, maybe there is a voltage step up converter in the Chinese charger. I saw another video where the guy was using a Chinese car charger with the car off, which means that one was also charging at around 12.5v.

EDIT/ here's the other video, charging with the engine off.

Seems to me people haven't been getting a charge with the engine off. Happy to be wrong.

Not sure what a DROK is (I'll go look). A possible idea to get a DC-DC converter to take a 12V up to about 14.7. They're pretty efficient converters. (That's what a DROK is, in effect now that I've peeked).

I use a DROK on my DJI car charger. Voltage is now stable, but if your power supply can't supply full current (~5amps) then the battery still won't charge.

I wish there was a way to trickle charge these batteries but it doesn't seem like there is.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I use a DROK on my DJI car charger. Voltage is now stable, but if your power supply can't supply full current (~5amps) then the battery still won't charge.

I wish there was a way to trickle charge these batteries but it doesn't seem like there is.

Yep - voltage is one thing - maintaining voltage at current draw is another...

Reactions: Natedoggz
@Natedoggz @AlanTheBeast @Xcel @idiogenic ....WOW! MEN!!
You are knocking me out! Hahahah..

Well...I´m a bit lost as I told you I don´t really understand about Amps and Volts...
But you are giving me a lot of possibilities and combinations!

It looks like there is no an ideal solution for my very specific case...but...at least...some mixed possibilities...
Even so,...I need help with this.
I´ll try to find someone close to me.

I need constant voltage at 14v when regular is 12v....so I need a converter or a DROCK
I need power supply at 5A
I need all cables and connectors
I need the powerbank with 68000mAh (!!!???)
...what else!?!?!

Thanks again guys! YOU ROCK!

They have a solar power 1 a little more $, but u can use anything that can start a true V8 gas truck should work, i didn't spend a lot on it because I use them for work and they last about 30 full drains of the power pack for regular vehicles, I have no true long term tests for mavic batteries as of yet, but have noticed some of my compacity has gone down slightly!

Youve noticed some of the Mavic batt's capacity has gone down a bit? What do you think causes that?

Hello everybody and thanks in advance for your help

I´ve been reading some threads here, but none of them clearly explain that.
I am terrible with electricity...so basically I don´t know much about Amps, and Volts...I just know a bit.

All the threads I´ve been reading always deviate too much into electricity discussions or mods impossible to understand for a person like me.

So my question is simple.

Is there a portable power bank out there on the market, capable of charging safely (for me and for the battery) one battery of my MP?

My question is to solve a very common problem that happens to me. I sometimes hike in the mountain for 3 days...and just 4 batteries is not enough to fly all weekend...so...I accept other ideas than the power bank too!

No intention to find mods or things like that...just the right power bank...

THANKS!!!

Im doing a 18 day hike in Nepal later this year and I have the same dilemma. There are places to charge in that area but they charge around $5 per battery each time if its available at all. I ended up buying two more lipos for a total of 5. Im also bringing 8 DSLR batteries.

I also bought an Anker 21W solar panel for the the 20000mah power bank for the controller and phone. My plan is to have the solar panel charge the battery bank for my controller, phone and my gf's point and shoot camera. Also I plan on trying to only fly the MP for 4-5 minutes at a time and only for short distances to get the photos(no video) I want. Hopefully the extra lipos for the Mavic helps cut down on the charging costs and will spread the usage out over several lipos.

Not at all a great solution for my situation but I dont an even bigger powerbank would work for me lol

Ive seen people rig a solar panel to a car charger for DSLR batteries but I doubt that would work for a Mavic lipo.

Hey, yesterday i buy one.. Output 12 volt, 66 amps and 5 volt connection for the remote control and telephone. [emoji106]. Look on Aliexpres for a power jump.

Hey, yesterday i buy one.. Output 12 volt, 66 amps and 5 volt connection for the remote control and telephone. [emoji106]. Look on Aliexpres for a power jump.

Thanks for the contribution...but...here the big issue seems to be the voltage
All these power banks or so that we find has a problem with it as 12V is not enough for the Mavic Batteries...so...I think it doesn´t work!

Tell me if I´m wrong guys!

Thanks!

Thanks @idiogenic !! It is pretty good too!

Let´s keep on searching...I think I´m going to get it...I NEED THAT SOLUTION FOR MY HIKES!!!

But...till now I just have a big mix...I need to summarize...Still confused with some terms

Could we try to get the best-mixed solution as a consensus?

Can someone confirm if "The Plug" can charge several batteries?

I could be incorrect here but, I don't believe the 12 volts is the issue. Rather the amperage draw is not enough with the car not started. The amazon charger I'm sure is going to do the job but I'm willing to bet it's going to be at a much slower pace.--- and I apologize if I'm getting off the whole portability issue as I am simply responding to the video itself. 12volts should be fine to drive the charger, the Amps are suspect I believe.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne