DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it worth even taking drone to Hawaii?

Do you have contact information for whomever let you fly from their boat? I'll be in Maui in March and would love to get some shots like these.
[email protected]
Flying within 1,500ft of a whale could get you in legal trouble. It is not permitted.
However, there are plenty of great opportunities around Maui. Like you, March 5 starts my Maui trip this year.
Don't leave home without your drone.

Attachments

• DJI_0933e.jpg
    DJI_0933e.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 6
  • DJI_0893e.jpg
    DJI_0893e.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 6
  • DJI_0890e.jpg
    DJI_0890e.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
Are any of those coastal areas in state or national parks?

Drones would be prohibited in those cases?

Do you have contact information for whomever let you fly from their boat? I'll be in Maui in March and would love to get some shots like these.
[email protected]
Trevor,
I am currently on Maui and think it highly unlikely that you will find a larger tour boat like the Calypso that will let you launch however I try to fly daily at a new place I found while on this trip. It is West of the Maui Ocean Center about half way to the scenic look out everyone stops at. I have attached a map for you. Be prepared for fantastic footage and other enthusiast flying from this point as well! Hope this helps and have fun!Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 6.57.37 PM.png

Reactions: cgonsalv
According to Google Maps, there appears to be a MacGregor Lighthouse there?

Looks like some room to pull off the main road and park there too.

Bookmarked it, thanks.

See attached for a drone's view of that location in 2019.

Attachments

• DJI_0427.JPG
    DJI_0427.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 9
You may have to re-type this online address, but it is only one of MANY sources of information regarding the flying of drones in Hawaii. Of course there are restrictions regarding crowds, airports and national parks. Despite those restrictions, there are a substantial number of great launch sites. Just imagine standing near or at the top of a cliff. Trying jumping off the cliff to take your bird's eye view. With a drone however, problem solved. I have flown to Maui three times over the last four years. Never had a problem or a question raised. I attached a 2019 drone photo around the black sand beach area along the Road to Hana in Maui.

Drone Laws in Hawaii [Updated October 11, 2021]

https://drone-laws.com/drone-laws-in-hawaii/

Attachments

• DJI_0438e.jpg
    DJI_0438e.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 3
Good morning to all.
Im from italy and next week i will go to Honolulu for a Holiday. I wanna bring with me the Mavic mini 2 and wanna know exactly what i have to do and spot for legally take pics for reacrational use.
Also what app you suggest for check limitation.

If there is local to help too.....

Thank's to all.
Best wishes.

Good morning to all.
Im from italy and next week i will go to Honolulu for a Holiday. I wanna bring with me the Mavic mini 2 and wanna know exactly what i have to do and spot for legally take pics for reacrational use.
Also what app you suggest for check limitation.

If there is local to help too.....

Thank's to all.
Best wishes.
Just fly um! Don’t be a kook and fly over people be respectful check app to make sure airspace clear. Hawaii like wild Wild West just be respectful and not obnoxious flying my input after living there 10 years.

Whatever your destination, NEVER leave your Mini (1/2/3) at home!!!!
Be reasonable: as long as you respect people's privacy and don't fly in obviously dangerous places, things are normally OK.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown