DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

Some of these posts are absolutely incorrect.
Software laws are totally different from hardware laws! Some of you may be too young to remember but there was a time in the 1990s when there were no laws for software and legal done piracy ran rampant. On the other hand laws for hardware items have been on the books for hundreds of years.

The Mavic is a hardware device and no law written for an App can supersede the protection the consumer is guaranteed on the hardware purchase. Even DJI knows this, that's why they state little thing like the drone can fly up to 40 mph but in fact it can do 42-43 mph. They know that if they misstate something like that it will open them up to legal problems. Even the battery run-time which is stated as 27min has a little legal disclaimer next to that. All of these specifications are laid out the way any company lays out specs for hardware. They are designed to fend off lawsuits should the product not perform as advertised. If at any point DJI changes those specifications they are fully exposed to a class action lawsuit that they will lose.

The silly notion being spouted around that you can use a TOS agreement for an App to circumvent the specifications of the hardware is complete and utter rubbish. If DJI ever used an update to limit the Maximum altitude or the 7km range ot the speed the drone can travel they would be SOL in court.

What they are currently doing with requiring a second registration in order to use the new App is a well crafted legal ploy. If DJI had followed through with their original wording which implied you had to update and you had to register they would have been killed in court. They instead said you can stay on your old App and not be bothered, but if you do update you need to reregister your App so we can get your IP data and Geo catalog you. That is a legal only because they are not forcing the update and so far they have not attempted to limit the hardware.

Anyone who thinks DJI has done what they originally planned is naive. DJI is shocked by the kick back on this whole thing and they toned down everything in order to make it go away.
And yes I know because I was told so by someone who knows what is going on inside the company.

Rob
RobbyG, There's no use in trying to explain what this Thread is all about , if they did read all of it, just maybe they would understand or maybe the post that Im replying to should be put up on the top of every page of this Thread maybe it will sink in !! ...... Poor guy's
There's no need to lay claim that you were tolled by someone who knows whats going on . Many that step back to look SEE
If they want to think that after all of DJI's software / FW updates are good for them after all the same continuing issues that still go on
let them, What has put me over the edge here is they want to implement more software with a TOS ?? I became Very Suspicious and being so since the NFZ .550 update.... "This was Planed" .... If they want to believe that DJI also Discloses all the Skewing around and making constant changes with the software / Firmware is to there Benefit , let them , and for some God Forsaken Earth Stopping reason They think it's all going to work .......... Let Them .............They just don't get it !!!!!!
Do these people realize that contracts are signed every day then within two years both parties wind up in Court ? and if it winds up being a third party Law Suit Every one will get Sued even DJI !!!!!............ These people need to read a book .
If they think that clicking on a button is a sure shot at legally binding a person to there Rights to Justice , Let them... They are the Naive!!!!!!!!!
"ecoleman" and "Knight Hawk" Thinking this thread is ridiculous ??????............ This is a discussion forum and this is the discussion
I find you guys ridiculous naïve that you are even posting to a Thread that ya's think is rediculous !!!! lolllllll

"SeaComms", You are 100% right about the app auto updating and many are not realizing it!!! Its a form of business tactic deception.
Just to keep you updated it also auto updates on Android too, There may not be big problems today however there's always tomorrow DJI is counting on it . Oh Litchi auto updated last Saturday, I haven't followed up on that yet .
Cheer's

Last edited:
Reactions: wayy510
RobbyG, There's no use in trying to explain what this Thread is all about , if they did read all of it, just maybe they would understand or maybe the post that Im replying to should be put up on the top of every page of this Thread maybe it will sink in !! ...... Poor guy's
There's no need to lay claim that you were tolled by someone who knows whats going on . Many that step back to look SEE
If they want to think that after all of DJI's software / FW updates are good for them after all the same continuing issues that still go on
let them, What has put me over the edge here is they want to implement more software with a TOS ?? I became Very Suspicious and being so since the NFZ .550 update.... "This was Planed" .... If they want to believe that DJI also Discloses all the Skewing around and making constant changes with the software / Firmware is to there Benefit , let them , and for some God Forsaken Earth Stopping reason They think it's all going to work .......... Let Them .............They just don't get it !!!!!!
Do these people realize that contracts are signed every day then within two years both parties wind up in Court ? and if it winds up being a third party Law Suit Every one will get Sued even DJI !!!!!............ These people need to read a book .
If they think that clicking on a button is a sure shot at legally binding a person to there Rights to Justice , Let them... They are the Naive!!!!!!!!!
"ecoleman" and "Knight Hawk" Thinking this thread is ridiculous ??????............ This is a discussion forum and this is the discussion
I find you guys ridiculous naïve that you are even posting to a Thread that ya's think is rediculous !!!! lolllllll

"SeaComms", You are 100% right about the app auto updating and many are not realizing it!!! Its a form of business tactic deception.
Just to keep you updated it also auto updates on Android too, There may not be big problems today however there's always tomorrow DJI is counting on it . Oh Litchi auto updated last Saturday, I haven't followed up on that yet .
Cheer's

90% of this is repetitive rubbish but one point. App auto updating is not a firm of business tactic deception and IS you not knowing how to use your **** phone.

90% of this is repetitive rubbish but one point. App auto updating is not a firm of business tactic deception and IS you not knowing how to use your **** phone.
If you Read what I replied to....... you would understand my post......... so you can stop looking so ignorant with your posts here :confused:

Can someone please explain to me that if DJI is so safety conscious now and wants it's users to abide by the Rules and Regulations of RC flying ...... Why have they come out with an "As Advertised Extra Long Range Tracking Antenna ??????" DJI to me is putting there foot in there mouth with this one :D
Just another reason to wonder ?????

Reactions: wayy510
I know, the App came out and nothing happened. Except a bunch of people that feel they're owed something.

DJI allows you to use their software. And furthermore the argument the drone came out of the box messed up and you need FW upgrades to fix it is ridiculous

Reactions: MisterMavic
DJI has made no such threat. At least not to me. I am not updated and My Mavic not restricted or limited in any way. Still fly's just as it did the day I bought it.
Update and don't re-sign and see if your Mavic "flys just as it did" the day you bought it. See if you feel threatened to sign in after updating. Go ahead, I'll wait.

I updated this morning, and flew with absolutely no problems - nothing changed. My belief is that DJI is putting themselves in the position where they can force compliance with local laws governing drone operation. As someone who tries to stay within the law, and definitely within the bounds of safety, I am easy with this. If the laws of the country put further restrictions on my flying I won't be happy but as a law abiding citizen I will comply. If DJI is helping me to comply, then all well and good.
Exactly! Don't think for yourself like a good subject, er, I mean customer. Sit back, relax and let DJI "help" you comply with non-existent "laws".

Sincerely,
Agent Chan
Office of DJI Geospatial Enforcement

I'd be willing to bet the proportion of people who believe DJI is Dr Evil equals the number of people who believe the government faked the moon landing. People in tin foil hats all wear them for the same reason....they're crazy! You can't change them, you can only get a good laugh from them.

No it is oblidged to if it wants to sell one single drone at that price.

Yes it is! Hence the upgrades...

Whatever... arguing with you is pointless. Get an attorney and let us know what happens. Otherwise just let this thread die in peace.

DJI is a good company, with mediocre customer service. Same as many companies.

Go buy Yuneec and be done with it. lol.

I know, the App came out and nothing happened. Except a bunch of people that feel they're owed something.

DJI allows you to use their software. And furthermore the argument the drone came out of the box messed up and you need FW upgrades to fix it is ridiculous
Then what is DJI fixing in their updates?

I'd be willing to bet the proportion of people who believe DJI is Dr Evil equals the number of people who believe the government faked the moon landing. People in tin foil hats all wear them for the same reason....they're crazy! You can't change them, you can only get a good laugh from them.
I'd be willing to bet the proportion of people who love getting screwed in the *** is proportional to those who question nothing DJI does and
They have to update the drones because they didn't realize tin foil hats would interfere with the GPS.
seems like a cop out to my question....thanks.

Reactions: reckless
Then what is DJI fixing in their updates?

Sure they fix, but they also improve. If you guys had your way they would be as you got them and nothing would ever get fixed or improved.

Right? You just want same same... we'll then don't update.

I did the update and I'm on FW .400 on both my Mavic and Controller... my Goggles are on the latest FW .700 and it works like a dream.

Apple does this sort of thing all the time. Constantly improving and fixing glitches. If Jailbreaking for many years has taught me anything it's that there is always coding issues.

I want updates, I want glitches fixed, I want more features.

My point is that you agreed to the original Terms of Service which allows them to update their software as they see fit either with or without you're consent. You're only defense is to not update, which is also an option.

So like I said, get the OJ team on this and let's gets busy. Lots of legal Mumbo jumbo to sort out.

If there was a legal case someone a lot smarter than us would have done it by now... also everyone knows the ones who gripe on Forums never actually take action. #keyboardtoughguys

You never heard that guy that sued the FAA on a forum running his mouth. He saw a suit and he took action.

This is a pointless conversation. I am for one leaving it as is.

Good luck. I hope you settle out of court for a set of Prop Cages.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
Sure they fix, but they also improve. If you guys had your way they would be as you got them and nothing would ever get fixed or improved.

Right? You just want same same... we'll then don't update.

I did the update and I'm on FW .400 on both my Mavic and Controller... my Goggles are on the latest FW .700 and it works like a dream.

Apple does this sort of thing all the time. Constantly improving and fixing glitches. If Jailbreaking for many years has taught me anything it's that there is always coding issues.

I want updates, I want glitches fixed, I want more features.

My point is that you agreed to the original Terms of Service which allows them to update their software as they see fit either with or without you're consent. You're only defense is to not update, which is also an option.

So like I said, get the OJ team on this and let's gets busy. Lots of legal Mumbo jumbo to sort out.

If there was a legal case someone a lot smarter than us would have done it by now... also everyone knows the ones who gripe on Forums never actually take action. #keyboardtoughguys

You never heard that guy that sued the FAA on a forum running his mouth. He saw a suit and he took action.

This is a pointless conversation. I am for one leaving it as is.

Good luck. I hope you settle out of court for a set of Prop Cages.
Hahaha, bro, if you're not running the latest firmware than you're a hypocrite.

What do you mean you're running firmware .400? Did you update or not?

Last edited:
Reactions: MacPap
Hahaha, bro, if you're not running the latest firmware than you're a hypocrite.

What do you mean you're running firmware .400? Did you update or not?

Yes! I do! It came with .200 and moved to .400... and basically I am doing what you could do, not update.

I never said I was against or for updating. This was about "is what DJI doing legal?". The answer is yes. Like I said whether you update or not is up to you.

I haven't updated because I'm lazy and don't care too. I am going to though to grab that fixed Wing Mode!

Like I said let me know how the lawsuit goes.

Oh and by the way, my app is up to date which is what got all the paranoid people dander up.

FWIW, I went ahead and updated the Android app to 4.1.0, was asked to log in to my DJI account again, did, and everything was normal from there. Did a flight out 11,000 feet toward Santa Cruz and the Monterey Bay, everything worked fine. That was my farthest flight ever so I chickened out at that point and came home.

GO4 4.1.0 seems fine for me on a Galaxy S6 Edge, Nougat. I'm staying with firmware .400 on the Mavic for the forseeable future -- I find that anything past that at this point screws video and telemetry streaming, and I get lots of disconnects.

Reactions: MacPap
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman