DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

....Man, you must live a very unpleasant life... !
You think so? Well i wouldn't....

... any reasonable person that ponders the issue for a minute or two understands that that i the only way it can possibly be... nothing of high, complex technology is ever, EVER shipped without any defects/bugs at all. In fact, it has known bugs -- defects the manufacturer knew about, stuff that didn't work right, and they shipped it knowing this....
Agreed! Τhe only difference being that the above mentioned sector/companies do not create these problems/restrictions in their product knowingly. They try to remedy/correct them after sales. In other words they work for their clients interest not the opposite. They do not create new firmware that restrict the products abilities....

...And what's more, manufacturers don't fix all of them!
Maybe but look what that got Volkwagen into. However i doupt that any authority is going to look into the djis case in the same way since what dji does suits them.... no?

You win the award for the biggest troll thread I've ever read. WTF with all the conspiracy theory bs. You bought a drone, it works. If it doesn't send it in for warranty service. You USE, not own the dji app. This app is frequently updated and also requires periodic updates to firmware of the drone. If this isn't agreeable to you don't update our don't use their app, plenty of third party apps or there. Do you also sit around pondering the injustice of windows 10 not being compatible with your 20 year old PC? Exactly what kind of nefarious **** is Microsoft up to with that... After all you bought it. And how exactly would your drone be bricked if you DIDN'T do any updates. If you never went online and never updated nothing could "brick" your done, unless....... Lee Harvey Oswald shot it down and then John Wilkes Booth, who was in fact hiding in the grassy noll with the magic bullets, plugged your mavic into your 20 year old PC, which is still running Windows 98 because of some more nefarious Microsoft ****, because if you updated surely your PC would rise up and strangle you in your sleep or renig on some DEAL, and updated your firmware..... SIGH
Wow --- clam down ---- Biggest Troll Thread ?????
Just so you know , with my 20+ year old MOS-DOS PC can get into any software files for editing if I wanted to spend alot of my time on it and I never used it for nefarious **** prepossesses.
This is something that Windows PC systems started to not be able to do since the ending of XP.
If you feel the way you do about this Thread why did you even read it let alone post to it ???????
"Don't Knock The Old Technology" The new was built on it and not necessarily for all the better.
"To Understand The Past Is To Better Understand The Future"
PS. There are Magic Bullets in Software today , There always has been if you were around 20+ years ago !!!!
Happy Flying

Reactions: Robbyg
You think so? Well i wouldn't....

Agreed! Τhe only difference being that the above mentioned sector/companies do not create these problems/restrictions in their product knowingly. They try to remedy/correct them after sales. In other words they work for their clients interest not the opposite. They do not create new firmware that restrict the products abilities....

Maybe but look what that got Volkwagen into. However i doupt that any authority is going to look into the djis case in the same way since what dji does suits them.... no?

This would be disturbing if it wasn't so pathetically funny. Your drone works, just add it did when you took it out of the box, you remember, when you had to create an account and REGISTER. The app is being updated so, like when the drone was new sign in and re-register if you do the update, if for some wacky conspiracy based reason signing into your previously created account is terrifying to you.. Don't. Stay on the version you have or use a third party app. Continued use of the app without signing into your account after the update will result in the drone being stuck at factory defaults, you know when it came out of the box with default settings set to beginners mode... All your nonsense about cars and what not is ridiculous. Would you like to also cry about Mercedes false advertising their cars because they make no mention that YOU are required to put gasoline in your car and keep it maintained for it to perform as advertised. Again your done works, just add it did or of the box. No one is touching your property without permission. Update or stay on current software or use third party app choice is ENTIRELY up to you

This would be disturbing if it wasn't so pathetically funny. Your drone works, just add it did when you took it out of the box, you remember, when you had to create an account and REGISTER. The app is being updated so, like when the drone was new sign in and re-register if you do the update, if for some wacky conspiracy based reason signing into your previously created account is terrifying to you.. Don't. Stay on the version you have or use a third party app. Continued use of the app without signing into your account after the update will result in the drone being stuck at factory defaults, you know when it came out of the box with default settings set to beginners mode... All your nonsense about cars and what not is ridiculous. Would you like to also cry about Mercedes false advertising their cars because they make no mention that YOU are required to put gasoline in your car and keep it maintained for it to perform as advertised. Again your done works, just add it did or of the box. No one is touching your property without permission. Update or stay on current software or use third party app choice is ENTIRELY up to you
pathetically funny. lollllll Your a funny guy
Where and when did I bring Car's into this ???????
Bro Clam down , Thanks for giving me todays information I already know / Tomorrow will be a different story .
You sound like a DJI damage control Employee that has me mixed up with someone else
By the way your car analogy can not be applied to the issues at hand

Reactions: wayy510
Read the whole thread, I didn't make a car analogy someone else did I was just pointing out the absurdity of it and this whole thread for that matter. And I wasn't even responding to you, was responding to macpap.

That is not the issue here in this post. The issue here is. IS IT LEGAL what DJI does.

Of course it's legal. Companies change terms of service all the time and you agree and never think twice.

Secondly DJI hasn't done anything that they could be sued for. You're original TOS agreed to allow them to do what they are doing now. You just didn't realize it.

Dji is updating their app. This update may or may not require a firmware update. You know like when an app on your computer has an update and MIGHT require a driver update. Do it or ignore it. That is the entirety of the conversation and the only choices you have, they are doing nothing to you or your property. There is no legal issue at all, just a freaking update.

Let me restate the notice dji put up for the language impaired or the conspiracy inclined.

Hey, we're releasing an update next week. This update will reset your drone to factory defaults (read beginner mode). To unlock it simply sign into your previously created account. This is an informational notice so all the conspiracy nuts who don't read don't think their drone is broken because they didn't read the release notes.

Thank you
DJI

Sigh

Last edited:
Been busy so I just tried to catch up on a few pages since I last looked. I've seen a lot of really moronic things written since then. I'm going to try and address them all because I'd really like to not have my time wasted having to read such idiotic garbage again.

First "You agreed to the TOS when you bought your Mavic and no one made you buy it". Ridiculous. I was presented with no TOS before purchasing my product. I bought my Mavic on Amazon. Those who said this and those who will say it again, please screen shot the TOS on the Amazon page that I evidently ignored which I accepted by checking out.
Yet, you are posting idiotic garbage in response, and apparently have a reading comprehension problem.

The Terms of Use were presented to you when you downloaded and installed the DJI GO 4 app. You could not have done so without agreeing to those Terms of Use.

As is the very legal, very common practice, under those terms DJI did not give you ownership of the software. In fact, you did not pay for it, so DJI demanded other consideration in exchange for your right to use the software. That "consideration" was the surrendering of all sort of rights, agreement that DJI is not liable for anything, and that they may change the software features, functionality, etc. in any way the choose in future update.

That's what you agreed to. Its no different than most apps you install on your phone or tablet. It's entirely legal, and DJI has no fear of any lawsuit of any kind for changing DJI GO 4, the account and service model for their servers, etc. Why? Because you already agreed to it the first time you accepted the ToU for GO4, downloaded it, and installed it.

Oh, and by the way, when you agreed to those terms they also included a clause that you would use binding arbitration to resolve any dispute, and you explicitly agreed NOT to join any class action.

Now, if you file a lawsuit over these changes to GO4, what do you think the very first thing DJI's lawyers are going to throw in your face?
Second "My car, my blu ray player, my tv, my cat etc all require periodic updates...so what?" Sure, they do.
No, they don't. Idiotic assertion #2.

Manufacturers do not generally require any update to firmware in their devices after sale. Of course we have plenty of incentive to do so, but we don't have to. When we do, the manufacturer requires we agree to terms that protect them in exchange for the value if the update, in lieu of payment.

You can always not bother with updating firmware. Lord knows there's all sorts of stuff I own that has updates, but it just isn't important to me to bother.
But do the manufacturers of those products tell you that if you don't update your car windshield will be blacked out? Your blu ray player won't play? Your tv will only get one channel? No, they don't.
If there was a compelling safety or legal reason, they might.

Stop with these idiotic, apples/oranges examples.
THAT there is an update with the threat that if you don't do it your product will be limited is.
An your calling other people here idiotic? The exact opposite is true: Refuse the update, and you will not be limited in any way.

Perform the update, but fail to complete the entire procedure (i.e. re-login to your DJI account after the update from GO4) and you'll be limited.

Not going to bother responding to the rest of this drivel. It's gotta be embarrassing to come on and accuse others of idiotic statements with, well, idiotic statements.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
...Update or stay on current software or use third party app choice is ENTIRELY up to you
This would be true IF the drone would operate properly. But it does not (coming out of the box) for many. These people rely on updates to remedy for the problems. And now there is an update, that is promising to solve problems, but also introduces ways to restrict the initial abilities of the drone as advertised when it was bought.
And all that is perfectly ok for you...
Is there something you do not understand?

...The Terms of Use were presented to you when you downloaded and installed the DJI GO 4 app. You could not have done so without agreeing to those Terms of Use.

As is the very legal, very common practice, under those terms DJI did not give you ownership of the software. In fact, you did not pay for it, so DJI demanded other consideration in exchange for your right to use the software. That "consideration" was the surrendering of all sort of rights, agreement that DJI is not liable for anything, and that they may change the software features, functionality, etc. in any way the choose in future update...
You are missing the point!! The problem is not the app per se it is the firmware... and that is within the drone NOT in the phone. It is the firmware that restricts the drone EVEN if you do no have ANY app and simply fly it with the rc.

This would be true IF the drone would operate properly. But it does not (coming out of the box) for many. These people rely on updates to remedy for the problems. And now there is an update, that is promising to solve problems, but also introduces ways to restrict the initial abilities of the drone as advertised when it was bought.
And all that is perfectly ok for you...
Is there something you do not understand?

Yes, I don't understand why you are still trolling. I don't understand you interpreting a software update as a promise. I don't understand your ridiculous claims that "they" are somehow introducing some mythical "kill" switch in the mavic. The update resets to beginner mode... Just like it came out of the box. Don't like it, DONT UPDATE. They don't owe you an update.

Yes, I don't understand why you are still trolling. I don't understand you interpreting a software update as a promise. I don't understand your ridiculous claims that "they" are somehow introducing some mythical "kill" switch in the mavic. The update resets to beginner mode... Just like it came out of the box. Don't like it, DONT UPDATE. They don't owe you an update.
If you do not understand I am sorry but I cant help you my friend... There is plenty of posts in many sites and forums including this one that explain it much better than I ever could...
As for the kill switch they said it themselves no need for me to say anything...

Reactions: reckless
So what does this mean? I am a newbie. My Mavic Pro should be delivered this Friday.
For a while probably not much...
But having incorporated routines in their firmware that according to them will "... ensure operators use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for their aircraft, as determined by their geographical location and user profile..." no one knows....

Reactions: reckless
Some of these posts are absolutely incorrect.
Software laws are totally different from hardware laws! Some of you may be too young to remember but there was a time in the 1990s when there were no laws for software and legal done piracy ran rampant. On the other hand laws for hardware items have been on the books for hundreds of years.

The Mavic is a hardware device and no law written for an App can supersede the protection the consumer is guaranteed on the hardware purchase. Even DJI knows this, that's why they state little thing like the drone can fly up to 40 mph but in fact it can do 42-43 mph. They know that if they misstate something like that it will open them up to legal problems. Even the battery run-time which is stated as 27min has a little legal disclaimer next to that. All of these specifications are laid out the way any company lays out specs for hardware. They are designed to fend off lawsuits should the product not perform as advertised. If at any point DJI changes those specifications they are fully exposed to a class action lawsuit that they will lose.

The silly notion being spouted around that you can use a TOS agreement for an App to circumvent the specifications of the hardware is complete and utter rubbish. If DJI ever used an update to limit the Maximum altitude or the 7km range ot the speed the drone can travel they would be SOL in court.

What they are currently doing with requiring a second registration in order to use the new App is a well crafted legal ploy. If DJI had followed through with their original wording which implied you had to update and you had to register they would have been killed in court. They instead said you can stay on your old App and not be bothered, but if you do update you need to reregister your App so we can get your IP data and Geo catalog you. That is a legal only because they are not forcing the update and so far they have not attempted to limit the hardware.

Anyone who thinks DJI has done what they originally planned is naive. DJI is shocked by the kick back on this whole thing and they toned down everything in order to make it go away.
And yes I know because I was told so by someone who knows what is going on inside the company.

Rob

Absolutely. Personally, now that the update is out and many thousands have updated either intentionally or without even realizing it these multiple threads should be locked for good.

I say unintentionally as I went to a mates place yesterday and he went to show me a vid on GO4 and it asked him to sign in. He said what is this? It's never asked me to sign in before? I told him about the new update and we realized his app had auto updated as that is how his iPad is set....

I would take a stab that prob half the DJI community is in the same boat.

If you do not understand I am sorry but I cant help you my friend... There is plenty of posts in many sites and forums including this one that explain it much better than I ever could...
As for the kill switch they said it themselves no need for me to say anything...

Your opinion is your own and you're entitled to it regardless of how nonsensical it is. How you FEEL is completely irrelevant. But the original question of is it legal, 100% legal for dji to update their app, end of discussion.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD