DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

Update and don't re-sign and see if your Mavic "flys just as it did" the day you bought it. See if you feel threatened to sign in after updating. Go ahead, I'll wait.
The "threat" I was reffering to was that if you DONT update your Mavic will be restricted. Im pretty sure all but the most die hard conspiracy theroists would agree now that this statement is BS. Even today mine is still not updated and still flies as it did on day one.

It seems people are missing the point and arguing (and getting personal in some cases, shame on you!) in the wrong direction.

It isn't about now, it is about the future.

My personal suspicion is the software in conjunction with the latest FW will have the ability to hobble the quad if any breach of "rules" is conveyed to DJI servers. Depending on the country you are flying in and the rules/laws imposed your quad might be auto-landed and disabled remotely by software that is responding to 0's & 1's, not what is really happening in the real world, ie I want to get a low altitude selfie on private property near a National Park and bang, the quad is disabled. No questions, no understanding for what is really happening along with no sympathies and then having to jump through many hoops with DJI to get it unlocked not to mention the red tape and paper work once the details of the "incident" are forwarded to the authorities to take their turn at extracting additional taxes/fines from the hapless quad operator.

Won't happen today or tomorrow but the systems are being put into place now for sometime in the future.

I try and stick to my local regulations and avoid annoying people or flying in a manner that might be considered dangerous but my opinion of safe/dangerous might differ from a bureaucratic pen pusher who has zero experience with quads and is only out for the gold star another fine will bring for him.

There is no conspiracy but rather a clear line of evolution to de-evolution thanks to people's ignorance and acceptance of the rights being decimated.

I am debating for the future of these amazing machines which won't be so amazing once the bureaucrats get done with it.

Reactions: wayy510 and MacPap
It seems people are missing the point and arguing (and getting personal in some cases, shame on you!) in the wrong direction.

My personal suspicion is the software in conjunction with the latest FW will have the ability to hobble the quad if any breach of "rules" is conveyed to DJI servers. Depending on the country you are flying in and the rules/laws imposed your quad might be auto-landed and disabled remotely by software that is responding to 0's & 1's, not what is really happening in the real world, ie I want to get a low altitude selfie on private property near a National Park and bang, the quad is disabled. No questions, no understanding for what is really happening along with no sympathies and then having to jump through many hoops with DJI to get it unlocked not to mention the red tape and paper work once the details of the "incident" are forwarded to the authorities to take their turn at extracting additional taxes/fines from the hapless quad operator.

Won't happen today or tomorrow but the systems are being put into place now for sometime in the future.

I try and stick to my local regulations and avoid annoying people or flying in a manner that might be considered dangerous but my opinion of safe/dangerous might differ from a bureaucratic pen pusher who has zero experience with quads and is only out for the gold star another fine will bring for him.

There is no conspiracy but rather a clear line of evolution to de-evolution thanks to people's ignorance and acceptance of the rights being decimated.

I am debating for the future of these amazing machines which won't be so amazing once the bureaucrats get done with it.

Where do you come up with this? Tin foil hat and x-ray glasses!

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
Where do you come up with this? Tin foil hat and x-ray glasses!
How can you miss the so very obvious? Are you too busy talking about tin foil hats with each and every post?
Tin foil hat would be far superior to your peril-o-matic sunglasses!(see below for a full description)

The Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses have been designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. They follow the principle "what you don't know can't hurt you" and turn completely dark and opaque at the first sign of danger. This prevents you from seeing anything that might alarm you. This does, however, mean that you see absolutely nothing, including where you're going.

Perhaps you should re-read my post:
There is no conspiracy but rather a clear line of evolution to de-evolution thanks to people's ignorance and acceptance of the rights being decimated. (their rights)
I think that is pretty anti-tin foil hat!

Your reply highlights a weak cognizance and you most likely haven't considered the full scope of DJI's notes regarding updates and consequences. Instead you have to stoop to personal insults instead of clearly debating your untenable point of view (whatever that might be).
By attacking people with your absurd "tin foil hat and x-ray glasses" comment you are simply highlighting your lack of vocabulary and gross inability to articulate your point of view clearly.
  • You really should be ashamed and embarrassed!

Please I implore you, instead of baseless insults either add to the debate (right or wrong) or don't, but please stop insulting other members.

To finish up, DJI are probably legally entitled but with my recent experience with a Forced Upgrade they are on moral thin ice.

Last edited:
... people who believe DJI is Dr Evil equals the number of people who believe the government faked the moon landing. ...
DJI is not Dr Evil. It is just another company that does what suits its interest like countless others and some of us are not taking it just like that like countless others have done with other companies. Therefor all this discussion is not about UFOs but in the interest of the customers of DJI meaning us!!!!
Got it now?

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
I wonder which side of this argument is going to feel the hand of big brother first?

Rob

Whatever... arguing with you is pointless...
True! Maybe because it looks like we have a difference in interests. Me defending customers side where as you the side of DJI.

... Otherwise just let this thread die in peace...
If you don't like the thread then stop following it... simple... and it'll die for you....

... DJI is a good company, with mediocre customer service. Same as many companies.
DJI is a company like so many others indeed looking after its interest same as I am defending mine....

Last edited:
Jesus this is really starting to make my brain hurt. Look you guys can continue to argue about all the conspiracies of what might happen. I am going to go out and enjoy my hobby. If you cant enjoy it anymore because all you can focus on is how DJI is going to screw you then sell the **** thing and move on to another hobby. Even if all this crap turns out to be true, what can you do? For those of you that think you have legal recourse against DJI then give it your best shot and good luck. For the rest of you happy flying.

Sure they fix, but they also improve. If you guys had your way they would be as you got them and nothing would ever get fixed or improved...
No one is against fixing and improving. Thats what a good company should do with its products. Its the restricting part that toys do not mention that is what we are concerned with...

...I did the update and I'm on FW .400 on both my Mavic and Controller... my Goggles are on the latest FW .700 and it works like a dream...
Well wait and see what happens. It is exactly what DJI describes in their email...
These are DJI words NOT mine
In July, DJI aircraft firmware will require mobile applications that control DJI aircraft to be activated with the user's DJI account.

• On July 1, this feature will go live on all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware
• If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and fiight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.

...I want updates, I want glitches fixed, I want more features...
If that is true why don't you trust DJI, as you suggest all others to do and upgrade the firmware and all the lot? What are you afraid of?
Or is it simply you prefer to be on the safe side and let others be the guinea pigs before deciding what to do?

...If there was a legal case someone a lot smarter than us would have done it by now...
I believe there are a lot of smart people present in this forum too. Some maybe even participating in this conversation. That being said I don't see what they could do before the activation of any restrictions... :)

...This is a pointless conversation. I am for one leaving it as is...
You are very much welcome to stay. It is always interesting to read others opinions on a subject...

Last edited:
Your opinion is your own and you're entitled to it regardless of how nonsensical it is. How you FEEL is completely irrelevant. But the original question of is it legal, 100% legal for dji to update their app, end of discussion.
You are most welcome to leave the discussion but you certainly are not the one that can end it... thx for your participation anyway...

Last edited:
...GO4 4.1.0 seems fine for me on a Galaxy S6 Edge, Nougat. I'm staying with firmware .400 on the Mavic for the forseeable future -- I find that anything past that at this point screws video and telemetry streaming, and I get lots of disconnects.
These are DJI words NOT mine.
In July, DJI aircraft firmware will require mobile applications that control DJI aircraft to be activated with the user's DJI account.
• On July 1, this feature will go live on all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware
• If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and fiight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.

Jesus this is really starting to make my brain hurt. ....
If it does stop following the thread...

... am going to go out and enjoy my hobby. If you cant enjoy it anymore because all you can focus on is how DJI is going to screw you then sell the **** thing and move on to another hobby. ....
What makes you believe we don't enjoy our drones?

...Even if all this crap turns out to be true, what can you do?...
That is exactly what we trying to figure out here... you are welcome to participate.

...For the rest of you happy flying.
thx for the rest of us...

Reactions: reckless
Even if all this crap turns out to be true, what can you do?
Hypothetically speaking, even if all this crap turns out to be true and we assume the worst... Clandestine code is included which allows your serial number to be transmitted openly as well as additional altitude and distance limitations, forced auto land and remote shutdown.
If your government was to restrict drones to beginner mode next year, those people that surrender to Big Brother now may not have any options then.
Those who resist this change might still have "original" equipment. I'm not proposing civil disobedience however I'm certain some daring pilots might try guerilla flights to get those aerial pics that no one else can get anymore.

"Like wayy510 would say it"....... The Tread is being invaded by a lot of ...Agent Chan's
By the way "wayy510" I like the name you gave to Damage Control Employees ----------------------------------> Agent Chan's .... lolllllll

Again you're speculation is unfounded. There is zero proof that supports DJI Hobbling the drones if and when it senses it being flown in the wrong area or fashion.

That's what makes all of this nonsense. They said they wanted to update the Geo system so it knows where you are flying so it doesn't wrongly apply flight restrictions.

I used to live on the border of the USA and Canada, this new system ensures the drone doesn't hold me to Canadian flight restrictions by more precisely knowing where I am at. This isn't a guess, this is what they said!

Everyone is perpetuating this fear that DJI will ground all drones at will, or could or might. It's all a bootytrap to promote everyone's agenda.

Reactions: MavicMoira
I know, the App came out and nothing happened. Except a bunch of people that feel they're owed something.

DJI allows you to use their software. And furthermore the argument the drone came out of the box messed up and you need FW upgrades to fix it is ridiculous
Your dam right DJI owes me !!!!!!!!!
I paid for a working product !!! Not a product that needs constant updating .... you say improve ???? There improvements really haven't improved any thing other then slip you more options along with there constant Tweaks that just cause more problems ... Are you blind to this ????
FW can fix a lot of issues with the system, it's The same way they skewing the system up

As far as you saying you upgraded and nothing happen If ...... I'd knock on wood , Your speaking a little too soon

True! Maybe because it looks like we have a difference in interests. Me defending customers side where as you the side of DJI.

If you don't like the thread then stop following it... simple... and it'll die for you....

DJI is a company like so many others indeed looking after its interest same as I am defending mine....

Yikes lots of homework last night!

Look I don't defend DJI, I can't stand them as much as anyone. I'm just not so ignorant to see that whatever they are doing as illegal, it's not.

I'm a businessman. Try to out yourself in their shoes. They have nothing to gain by restricting or limiting users abilities. They do have lots to gain by building a system that allows real time emergency info to be used to prevent drones from flying when unsafe... why? Because like many things, let's take BioTerrorism laws... a company made their own traceability program for BioTerrorism long before the government required it. Why? Why would a company build a system that cost millions to comply with a law that hadn't even been made yet? Because good businesses look to what the future is, and not the past. Apple doesn't stare at the Apple II when building the iPhone 8, and this company knew in the shadow of 9/11, Anthrax threats etc. regulation was imminent, and probably coming. They decided to be the innovator, not the imitator. So this company wrote a comprehensive program for food safety etc. eventually the law came and this company was used at the standard for other companies that did similar business.

DJI is a forward thinking company. No one denies that right? They made this whole drone thing happen. It's going to happen, regulation I mean. And when it does, DJI is putting good systems in place that will be the standard for the industry. Not having to do what Yuneec does. Also, making changes now before regulation happens can also avoid regulation all together.

Listen, yesterday in Arizona there was a fire and police couldn't get to the fire because there were five drones trying to film it. They tracked down most of the pilots and arrested them, but this is becoming more and more of an issue.

I'm a card carrying republican against all regulation. But I see that DJI is preparing for the worst with the hopes of keeping the business floating.

For me it's not personal. I wish this was a boutique hobby, but it's nots. People need to be safe, but they probably won't be. Preaching here will never change that.

Your dam right DJI owes me !!!!!!!!!
I paid for a working product !!! Not a product that needs constant updating .... you say improve ???? There improvements really haven't improved any thing other then slip you more options along with there constant Tweaks that just cause more problems ... Are you blind to this ????
FW can fix a lot of issues with the system, it's The same way they skewing the system up

As far as you saying you upgraded and nothing happen If ...... I'd knock on wood , Your speaking a little too soon

Wait you don't like having to update?

There isn't one tech product on this earth that doesn't have to be updated! All tech is created by coders and as such have human errors in them.

Google Jailbreaking. Even Apple is constantly patching and fixing issues

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom