DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It’s out… Are they nuts?

Owch, I will agree that it was a little more than I expected. At least keep it at the high 1k's. As soon as you bump over 2k people start to second guess their purchases.

My ideal was to buy the std version, extra battery, and the Pro remote......until I saw the pricing. $1,200 just for the remote, no thank you. My phone is 1000 nits. I like the convenience of the all in one remote but at least bump up the brightness to 1500 or 2000, something that would really entice us to spend the money.

I have been holding out a while to upgrade, but now that it is out I will either wait to see how things look in the spring or get something else.

They did an amazing job with the features and increased flight time though! Things cost what they do these days and you have to pay to play. Hopefully there will be enough people with deep pockets to buy these.

I think at the end of the day the thing is that it's aimed at professionals, not hobbyists. The price difference between what us hobbyists feel its worth and what a professional will pay is negligible. Its a $5,000 drone, not a million dollar tractor. You should be able to recoup that extra cost pretty quickly.

Last night after having the Fly More, SC, and DJI care(or whatever it is) in my cart and seeing the $4500 I decided to pass. For about $1700 to my door I can get the A2S Fly More with the SC. I wanted the M3, but for what I do, having that extra $3000 in my pocket is going to look far better than the improved pictures I'll take. haha

Its pretty bad (Mod Removed Language)I flew a Demo Cine over the weekend with a hooked up friend of mine. I got some amazing video in Apple Pro Rez, it came with a cost. 1 minute of video give you a nearly 11GB File

Last edited by a moderator:
I think at the end of the day the thing is that it's aimed at professionals, not hobbyists. n the improved pictures I'll take. haha
I think you are right. The Phantom was their professional drone but I feel more and more they are now pushing that over to the Mavic series, especially now with the release of the 3.

I have always viewed the mini & air as your standard consumer drones, the pro & pro 2 as your advanced consumer, and the Phantom and higher as your professionals......not anymore.

I may have to look into the Air2S to upgrade my MPP as I just can't justify the cost of the 3 for my use.

I see it as just an incremental small upgrade to the 2 Pro. I’m not doing it for a profession so not enough there for me to spend the money. However, I can understand why someone competing in the Professional world could justify the expense. And for the well funded hobbyist…Well, Hobby is Latin for Money Pit…right? Go for it and I hope it’s awesome…

It is awfully expensive.
I wonder how many people have the ancillary equipment, screens, computing power etc. to be able to fully utilise its output?
I can exceed the capabilities of my ancillary equipment with the Mavic Mini let alone the M2P.
I'd bet I am not alone in that.

EDIT component prices UK dji-mavic-3-3019853
open the "accessories" tab of the bit below the main photo.
Yes it is, to expensive for me.

I take it that when they say “NO ACCESSORIES“ they mean it. I would have considered a basic package if my smart controller was still useable!
That's just it, they made it not compatible with the smart controller so that you'll have to get the whole package for more $$......

I'm not really gripping.......... I don't think?....... I really love DJI products as I own 2 of their drones, maybe I'll purchase a M3 for my next drone if the ever come down a little on price$

What turned me off, even before I saw the price, was when I checked the specs.... seems they don't have the time or energy to convert the numbers from metric to standard.... but then over half the stuff they listed there, even if they did do the conversions, I would not have a clue what it meant... all written for some super drone nerds.

Its pretty bad (Mod Removed Language)I flew a Demo Cine over the weekend with a hooked up friend of mine. I got some amazing video in Apple Pro Rez, it came with a cost. 1 minute of video give you a nearly 11GB File
And the time it's going to take to a computer to process those edited video files is going to be gross I imagine.

The bag on fly more combo is $300, oh gawd! Unless. you dont have your own camera bag and dont plan on buying a sub $100 hard shell case on Amazon, there is no reason for fly more combo. The battery is plenty to live with just 2 batteries. I just bought a standard drone package and will get an extra battery. Will be getting other accessories and ND filters from elsewhere

The bag on fly more combo is $300, oh gawd! Unless. you dont have your own camera bag and dont plan on buying a sub $100 hard shell case on Amazon, there is no reason for fly more combo. The battery is plenty to live with just 2 batteries. I just bought a standard drone package and will get an extra battery. Will be getting other accessories and ND filters from elsewhere
Just read the description. The bag actually comes with $250 USD in it!

The temptation is real, there must be some kind of Spotting association that I do not have in Ohio, I care barely scratch 1 other person in my life to fly and watch my drone . Its impossible to give us longer battery life without increased range so its a selling point for them to push , knowing its gets people attention

DJI put many of us in a Trance with this release. o_O

Gear to fly in the Rain
Phantomrain.org

Part 107 regs don't allow you to use remote spotters to extend your flight range beyond your own line of sight.

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

• Wow
Reactions: tlswift58
$2200 for just the M3 a controller and battery. $3000 for the “fly more” kit. $5000 for the cine version.

Hard pass for me.

I’ll stick with the M2p until I see what Autel does with the EVO3.
I agree the price is total sticker shock, but when you look at what the bird can do - the price is a bit better. Not sure WHY most any hobbyist would even look at the CINE at that price, but the FlyMore is $2999, which is high when based on Air2 series and other DJI drones as of late.

If the M3 can do all DJI says it can - the price tag is not all that bad. The "intelligence" they have built in - should it work as advertised, will almost guarantee a crash free drone with all the OA's on board. I'm sure it can be crashed, but the specs say it will fly around most obstacles very well.

If you go to DJI's website they have a nice demo page of all it's specs / attributes. Got that in an email last night. Nice bird, but will not be buying it right away. Maybe a few months down the road.

I did always wonder how they advertise the range improvement with each release, when in practice you always have to maintain line of sight with the drone. I suppose it’s the same as cars go and speed limits. But even with spotters, 15km is 15km…

Anyway, prices here in the UK:

• £1,879 for the base line
  • £2,549 for the fly more combo
  • £4,279 for the Cine Line
I suppose these prices make sense for professionals who actually make a living out of it. For those who just like to create and have fun, it really is expensive.

Needless to say, I’d love to have one regardless…
The range thing is for those very very few countries that may not have a VLOS rule - whomever they are. At the distance shown, hopefully signal strength is much improved for us short range flyers. RTH is cool in the M3, along with all the OA sensors on board and a near uncrashable drone (according to DJI).

I may upgrade, but never one to be on the cutting edge and having the latest today when it rolls out. I'll wait for some real shake-down flights by folks here on the forum before making that leap and it won't be for that CINE Pkg either (OMG - crazy pricing).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones