DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's my turn, disconnect and lost :Edit Mark another up for pilot stupidity

WOW I wouldn't be there in daylight!
We were mainly worried because we had seen baby bear tracks earlier. Usually bears won’t mess with people, but inadvertently get between a mother and her cub in dense scrub and...well I guess it isn’t pretty.

Here are some representative thermal images after a 10 minute flight:

View attachment 37814
Mavic in flight - background in shade - artificial color

The aircraft is quite visible in this mode provided that it is warmer than the background.

View attachment 37817
After landing - right way up among rocks in full sun

Cooler than the surroundings.

View attachment 37815
After landing - upside down among rocks in full sun

The Mavic is still cooler than the surroundings.

View attachment 37816
Immediately after landing - upside down among rocks and vegetation in the shade.

Now the aircraft is hotter than the surroundings.

Conclusion - I think this would work quite well at night or in cold/cloudy weather. Solar heating of the ground is likely to produce higher temperatures than the aircraft itself.
At first I though it looked pretty decent on the rocks in full sunlight, then I realize how many other Mavic-like lines and shades there are. It really wouldn’t help much.

Thanks for the video! it was really a nice view ( not the crash that is :( ) I even think I saw a tear in the wife eyes..lol She was like why did he do that??? I was like well he didn't plan that! lol lol I am not sure if any one recalls arch bunker.. all in the family tv show? if so do you remember what he would call edith sometimes????

Reactions: MavicCF
Thanks for the video! it was really a nice view ( not the crash that is :( ) I even think I saw a tear in the wife eyes..lol She was like why did he do that??? I was like well he didn't plan that! lol lol I am not sure if any one recalls arch bunker.. all in the family tv show? if so do you remember what he would call edith sometimes????
Lol, it is hard to explain why someone would fly their Mavic into a hill:D! You’ll have to find a clip of that show on YouTube, I don’t know it...

listern carefully to what he saids....a hint ...what on the roof??? that's all I am going to say about that! lol lol

Last edited:
Please explain. Incidentally, I can’t calibrate without removing tracker first. Afraid to fly with GPS tracker needing calibration.
Essentially the tracker can cause magnetic interference because it is mounted so near the compass, if you calibrate with it in place, you are telling the compass to disregard any distortion caused by it.

Essentially the tracker can cause magnetic interference because it is mounted so near the compass, if you calibrate with it in place, you are telling the compass to disregard any distortion caused by it.

I couldn't say it any better! perfect! :)

I have a pet tracker glued to mine and it works fine. I also spray painted mine fluorescent pink so if it decides to go fly away along with last location it's easy to find, tried and tested it stands out like a sore thumb. But make sure you mask all the vents, motors and all the relevant area's before spraying.

Nope, never reconnected. I assume the battery popped out upon impact.
Hi There
I havnt read all the replies, are you saying that your phone disconnected from RC, as mine has done that also and there is no way to reconnect, and is bloody scary 400m out as drone hard to see, RTH will work as long as RTH parameters are set, I'm on android Samsung S8, beautiful vids, if we sought this disconnected from RC thing, I'm sure we will be a lot less nervous...lol
Good luck, mine crashed in to a tree while doing real estate shot as I was sliding sideways and circling house, gimbal survived as did mavic pro,,,,
Hey it wasn't taken out by a bird attack was it??

Attachments

• Snapshot000001.jpg
    Snapshot000001.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Sorry, are you in Canada or Germany? Apparently because I used "The Final Countdown" as the music they blocked it in those two countries due to a copyright problem. I could remove the music if y'all want, what do you think?
Yea I'm In NewZealand we do strange **** here to with Copyright

Unfortunately I didn't get around to re-editing the video (really busy), but here is the first one I put together from that day. I apologize in advance for the bad color correction and the times where I almost come to a stop while recording (its very annoying and that's what I wanted to re-edit), we had family in town and I was talking with them while flying so I was a little distracted. Anyway, here it is.

What a landscape! Very different from what we have here (Netherlands, Czech Rep and around). At the end, you can see it is going down but at first it is not yet obvious it was not planned. Just when it continues to descent...
Hope you get it repaired soon!

Actually I have a small thermal camera that I hook to my phone I pack along just in case. Both SeekThermal and FLIR make them for both iPhone and Android.
Seems reasonable that the thermal signature would last longer than the battery and stand out better.

Nice idea for sure but... the stickers seem to be little bit cheaper ;)

Here are some representative thermal images after a 10 minute flight:

View attachment 37814
Mavic in flight - background in shade - artificial color

The aircraft is quite visible in this mode provided that it is warmer than the background.

View attachment 37817
After landing - right way up among rocks in full sun

Cooler than the surroundings.

View attachment 37815
After landing - upside down among rocks in full sun

The Mavic is still cooler than the surroundings.

View attachment 37816
Immediately after landing - upside down among rocks and vegetation in the shade.

Now the aircraft is hotter than the surroundings.

Conclusion - I think this would work quite well at night or in cold/cloudy weather. Solar heating of the ground is likely to produce higher temperatures than the aircraft itself.

The Mavic is quite big in these pictures. I wonder how it would look like say from 5 meters.

Ha, that for sure ;) but would there be any other subjects around that would make the Mavic less obvious? (because of similar shape etc, or when your view is partially blocked by bush or whatever)

Yes - I think that those images indicate quite clearly that IR imaging is only going to work with cool surroundings and from fairly close range, at least with this kind of equipment. A brightly colored aircraft is likely to be more easily spotted in the visible spectrum.

Hi There
I havnt read all the replies, are you saying that your phone disconnected from RC, as mine has done that also and there is no way to reconnect, and is bloody scary 400m out as drone hard to see, RTH will work as long as RTH parameters are set, I'm on android Samsung S8, beautiful vids, if we sought this disconnected from RC thing, I'm sure we will be a lot less nervous...lol
Good luck, mine crashed in to a tree while doing real estate shot as I was sliding sideways and circling house, gimbal survived as did mavic pro,,,,
Hey it wasn't taken out by a bird attack was it??
The Mavic disconnected from the RC due to the fact that I flew it at a high rate of speed. RTH didn't have a chance to function as it was a pretty good crash. No birds, is that your picture? Looks cool/scary;)!

That's actually not too far off, sun on the screen, talking to family, and all the technical flying done.
Not that it would have solved ALL the problems, but I gave up on my iPhone AND my Wunderphone and got a Crystalsky Ultra. At least you can see 90% of what's going on (instead of about 30% with the others) on a bright sunny day.

Not that it would have solved ALL the problems, but I gave up on my iPhone AND my Wunderphone and got a Crystalsky Ultra. At least you can see 90% of what's going on (instead of about 30% with the others) on a bright sunny day.
If I had the extra money I'd love too. Currently, my extra money is split between repairing the Mavic and getting new mountain biking gear. Som day though, it would be nice...

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman