DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jane stop this crazy thing!

I Don't blame you Bill. Jesus people he's not a child. I don't think anyone said anything here he did not already know....
(but don't call me Jane)

Reactions: erkme73
I Don't blame you Bill. Jesus people he's not a child. I don't think anyone said anything here he did not already know....
(but don't call me Jane)

Jane
Not about Bill. About us. I've flown everything from scale model 1/4 spitfires to the humble Mavic. Helicopters are the worst. We had a kid have his throat cut at our club by a new member flying or crashing his €5000 nitro helo recklessly. Closed the club and almost got all ROV's in the air banned.
That Mavic has already slit my winter coat like a razor. Nobody wants that on their hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabast and Icarus
OK guys let's calm this down some . If you can't make a constructive post then just move along ..
Thank-You

Some sound advice here Bill.
I can only imagine the number of new Mavic and first time drone pilots.
AyoYo is on point with starting (crashing) with the basics and training on a cheap, no frills quad.

You can also try flying in tripod mode when training.
The settings will help slow down controller inputs with out the beginner mode limitations.
Fly safe!

There has got to be a way to get it to stop quicker.
First, I've never used beginner mode because it slows everything down and what's the fun in that? There's some movies on YouTube that will get really technical and tell you how to adjust the sticks so that you can stop faster, have everything respond faster, etc. I like my bird to stop with in 6 feet from when I let off from full throttle and usually it takes 3+. Some people take the gains down so it flies smoother and things last longer others, like you and I, take them up and live a little closer to the edge. So, you hit a fence :) It happens, then a tree... It still flies so you got a little cocky... and that's what life is all about.
Yes, there are a lot of haters on these forum who will always point fingers and give us their holier then thou act, just ignore'm. You know how to fly, now make the right throttle and braking adjustments that match your type of flying.
I only found a few vids on the gain, etc for P3's but it will give you a place to start :)

thank you, these are the replies I am looking for. I am going to try pause, but I think in a panic I won't hit pause.
I like the idea of adjusting the sticks.

I am going to try pause first so I understand how fast it should stop. Then go from there.

Reactions: erkme73
Haven't read the whole thread but USE PAUSE, it is amazing how fast pause will stop the thing as opposed to just letting go of the sticks, especially in sport mode

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Haven't read the whole thread but USE PAUSE, it is amazing how fast pause will stop the thing as opposed to just letting go of the sticks, especially in sport mode

I was sitting here patiently waiting for someone to make that comment. :)

thank you, these are the replies I am looking for. I am going to try pause, but I think in a panic I won't hit pause.

I am going to try pause first so I understand how fast it should stop. Then go from there.

I thought you made your last post?

Don't let these hooligans run you off. This place has a wealth of knowledge when you sift through the bull...

@Bill Debevc - I'm sorry for the way some people feel the need to belittle and insult others - especially new posters. What you described in your initial posts is a bit more extreme than what most are used to. Know that this forum is generally several notches above your run-of-the-mill bash-everyone-who-differs-from-your-opinion forum. Moderators are pretty quick to reign in posts that cross the line. I'm actually quite surprised it took this long to get one to chime in. Normally, they go back and clean it up.

Within minutes of seeing the first comment (which ironically stated "can't even comment on the stupidity of this thread"), I reported it as not only unhelpful, but damaging to the forum.

And to drive that point home, it wasn't but a few posts later, that your surprise at the hostility had you posting you were leaving the forum. That is a huge indictment on those who absolutely have to put our two cents in, at the expense of the reader. I only wonder how many other new or lurking users see this exchange and feel a tremendous chilling-effect - and will likely never share their experiences (or even return).

We're all adults. No one should feel the need to lecture or put down others publicly. IF you feel that strongly, send a PM, or move along. /rant off

Bill please do not take offense on what others have expressed in this thread. I have been sitting here patiently waiting for someone to make constructive comments. I guess we (drone pilots) have a bad reputation when a drone goes out of control and hurts people or damages property.
Last week another drone crash made the news, a drone crashed on top of Seattle's Space needle. The City of Seattle is, I believe, filing charges to the drone operator. This is the behavior responsible drone pilots are trying to avoid.

Charges possible in Space Needle drone crash - CNN.com

The point here and the lesson to learn is to fly safely. I am not saying this to you but some of those idiots out there are ruining this fun hobby for the rest of us.

This is a fun hobby and if practiced observing all of the safety rules assures no one gets hurts and avoids property damage.

I believe we should all be making constructive feedback to pass onto other new drone pilots the experience, and knowledge we have so that they can fly safely.

Safe flying Bill,

Reactions: M4RK
I am going to try pause, but I think in a panic I won't hit pause.

I know what you mean Bill, but definitely give it a shot. I'm not new to drones as I have been flying quads and helos for a while now, but I am brand new to the Mavic (first flight was today). I was amazed at how quickly the pause button stops that thing in its tracks...definitely much faster than I could do it on my own.

Having had the shell in my P3P stress crack despite never driving her hard I do wonder what stress emergency stops put on the mavic... still I suppose less stress than a crash!

Ok I am new at this. But yesterday I hit a chain link fence, me getting cocky. Today I flew into the middle of a few palm trees. Flying a but too fast.

There has got to be a way to get it to stop quicker.

Btw the fence broke 3 props. On the palm tree the Mavic bounced off and keep hovering. Then I had to gingerly fly it out of the way between the trees.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Aircraft icon (says mc settings at the top) > advanced settings > sensitivity > brake. I think this adjusts how aggressively the mavic will decelerate.

Hey Bill, welcome to the forum !
This place is a wealth of information , stick around and enjoy the benefits this community has to offer . Have fun , be responsible & be safe :)

Sounds like you may benefit from prop guards... cheap and it allows you to bounce off things without crashing in many situations it would normally crash from propeller contact . I have experience flying a cheaper phantom myself so its more of an insurance thing for me than a confidence deal; either way they only cost 15$

Reactions: Bill Debevc
I'm just curious Bill, have you registered with the FAA yet?

I had registered with the FAA before I flew for the first time outdoors.

On a different note and started to study for the exam as well. I think that everyone should at least study for the certification, lots of great stuff there about what to do and don't. But that's for a different thread.

Reactions: M4RK
What the fun in that. I do have the DJI refresh. And ordered 4 sets of props yesterday. I guess I need to learn a bit, back to beginner mode for me [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
I think the fun is that you will still own it in one piece! Baby steps .... then cocky! I hope you're taking video because you probably have some interesting film? :cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan