DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Karma ( Crashes ) at baseball game...

There was a video of some jack-wagon flying his mavic around San Diego and the ball park a couple weeks ago. He crashed it into a skyscraper. Probably replaced it with this Karma.

Reactions: Kestrel

It's bad enough with out you deciding that it would have been a child, and then foretelling that the automatic result would have been death.
Things are bad enough imagewise for drones without you having to be so inventive.

But if we're going to hyperventilate over dangerous flying objects... we'd have to weigh it against the actual (not made up) deaths by baseballs themselves:

Death at the Ballpark: a compendium of all the people who have died at baseball games.

"Normal" actual deaths from the game, and no actual deaths from drones, points to other kinds of safety activities that ought to be first to be examined.

Reactions: erkme73
I'll say it again. CAN'T FIX STUPID My original phrase.
Some comedian out of Phoenix made it a bit more famous after he saw one of my bumper stickers I had made years ago.

If I were DJI, I'd incorporate that video into a commercial called why purchase a DJI lol.

I think it's relevant because it puts the numbers in perspective, otherwise I would not have mentioned it.

These are 1000+ injuries from baseballs to spectators, not "almost injuries". I think we, as drone enthusiasts, should avoid having an out of proportion response, to something that is much less harmless than the object that is the center of attention at these games, the baseball itself.
No. You are completely missing the point behind why this is a false equivalency. That's why you think comparative statistic matter. They don't.

People assume a risk of being hit by a errant ball at a ballgame. Therefore, if it happens, everyone says, "that's a shame".

They do not assume a risk of a drone strike at a ballgame. So if one happens, everyone says, "ban them!"

And then it happens.

You see, people don't care that they're 3.8 bajillion times more likely to get hit by a baseball at a game. They don't think there should be ANY chance -- zero, nada -- that they can be hit by a drone at a ballgame, and that's all that matters.

I hope you understand now.

Reactions: cderoche
No. You are completely missing the point behind why this is a false equivalency. That's why you think comparative statistic matter. They don't.

People assume a risk of being hit by a errant ball at a ballgame. Therefore, if it happens, everyone says, "that's a shame".

They do not assume a risk of a drone strike at a ballgame. So if one happens, everyone says, "ban them!"

And then it happens.

You see, people don't care that they're 3.8 bajillion times more likely to get hit by a baseball at a game. They don't think there should be ANY chance -- zero, nada -- that they can be hit by a drone at a ballgame, and that's all that matters.

I hope you understand now.

I 100% agree with this statement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25