DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Gear Options

a951730e3683db0f3f8df80884d0cdf7.jpg

a20c32de3eed7aabfda09b5be51eb615.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using MavicPilots mobile app

Does anyone have suggestions for the best landing gear to use to make it more hand-catchable? We're going to use it offshore on a boat with 2-3 ft seas and heavy winds so landing it may be tricky. Will I chop my fingers off or should I try landing on the boat and possibly crashing it into the side gunnels? Any suggestions?

Does anyone have suggestions for the best landing gear to use to make it more hand-catchable? We're going to use it offshore on a boat with 2-3 ft seas and heavy winds so landing it may be tricky. Will I chop my fingers off or should I try landing on the boat and possibly crashing it into the side gunnels? Any suggestions?

I havent seen any landing gear thus far that would make it more hand catchable. I would suggest practice wearing some sort of eye protection and leather work gloves.

Edit: It appears #2 would make hand catching/launching slightly easier.

Last edited:
I have #3. Im not totally convinced Ill be using them much. I either hand catch/launch (which I dont prefer) or take off from my launching pad (the orange photo reflector type).

Ill keep them in my bag bc Im sure they'll be useful one day. If you dont mind them taking 6 weeks to be delivered from China you can get them on ebay for $4.58.

I have these. Dirt cheap and works well. And no need to take them off when packing the Mavic in my bag.

Attachments

• landing gear.jpg
    landing gear.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 35

Hey gbrown,
I made some custom landing gear specifically for hand catching/launching from a boat. Combo of 3D print and carbon fiber tubing. It's been working nicely so far, though I haven't used it in winds over 10 mph on the boat yet. Weighs in at 22 grams versus 18 grams for the standard landing extension legs most pilots are using. No interference with downward sensors. I also added the option to include recovery floats and a lightweight tbeacon radio locator. The floats with attachment gear add another 25 grams, and the tbeacon with enclosure add 11 grams.

The few videos I've seen of stock Mavic boat landings in any sort of serious open water (versus a dead flat pond) look sketchy at best. Even on a mildish day in open water the Mavic is moving all over the place while trying to grab it on a smaller boat. My T-top is only a few feet behind anywhere I would grab the bird. No way could I get it back on the boat consistently without a reliable grab handle.

Hand Catch Landing gear_Common Landing Gear.jpg

Last edited:
Prefer this one as it has the springs that make the landing more softer..

Attachments

• mavic-spring.jpg
    mavic-spring.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 11

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin