DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic :-( .....NOW FOUND! :-)

Does this insurance cover the MP?
This seems like public liability insurance which I already have as I'm a member of the BMFA I could be wrong though I have not read the T&C's!

It is just PL insurance mate..

@Loz thank you for this data and information! One question pls did you have OA on hovering setting or acent and move around obstacles?
I am saying this trying to understand if it would be best just to switch OA off all together at these heights or if it would try to move around working around the sun glare that caused it to think that there was an obstacle there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

The big lesson here are 1) obstacle avoidance in bright conditions can cause problems. The MP stops when flying into direct sunlight. The sunlight confuses the sensors 2) obstacle avoidance limits your RTH speed.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

@Loz thank you for this data and information! One question pls did you have OA on hovering setting or acent and move around obstacles?
I am saying this trying to understand if it would be best just to switch OA off all together at these heights or if it would try to move around working around the sun glare that caused it to think that there was an obstacle there.

I think you mean return to home settings not obstacle avoidance.

Reactions: tuzzman
I think you mean return to home settings not obstacle avoidance.

No i mean the options that are in the OA sensors. There are 2 subsets that make the bird to move around horizontally or vertically rather than hover when sensing and obstacle. When in RTH these preconditions kick in and the Mavic will ether hover when in RTH an obstacle is in its way or mover around or above it.

Reactions: Cowman
I would really stress turning off OE unless you need it a minute, at least until this gets tweaked.

As for trackers have a look at the Loc8tor as that's had decent results and the fob is small but GPS is the best way.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Loz
No i mean the options that are in the OA sensors. There are 2 subsets that make the bird to move around horizontally or vertically rather than hover when sensing and obstacle. When in RTH these preconditions kick in and the Mavic will ether hover when in RTH an obstacle is in its way or mover around or above it.

Ok gotcha.

Reactions: Mr Spock

Wow this makes perfect sense as to why it didn't move - I had it on "Hover" not the "Avoid" setting...

I even tried cancelling the RTH and tried to fly it back maually but it would not move forward which certainly ties in with the Sun being an issue.. now should I tell DJI that I found it? hmmm (Joke)

Wow this makes perfect sense as to why it didn't move - I had it on "Hover" not the "Avoid" setting...

I even tried cancelling the RTH and tried to fly it back maually but it would not move forward which certainly ties in with the Sun being an issue.. now should I tell DJI that I found it? hmmm (Joke)
:) now this generates another question though, how much does the sun glare issue affect the FOA snensors vis a vis how large do the OA sensors perceive the obstacle to be when the obstacle is not an obstacle but just sun rays....? Because if the precived obstacle is large enough the Mavic might try to move left and right and up and down but still get stuck in the forward direction in front of an invisible wall....

:) now this generates another question though, how much does the sun glare issue affect the FOA snensors vis a vis how large do the OA sensors perceive the obstacle to be when the obstacle is not an obstacle but just sun rays....? Because if the precived obstacle is large enough the Mavic might try to move left and right and up and down but still get stuck in the forward direction in front of an invisible wall....

Just a dumb question. I've seen on a few in boxing videos that there is plastic protective covers on the OA sensors. Any chance you may have not removed them?

This is not going to be an easy one for DJI to resolve if this is what is happening, I was thinking along the lines of a FW fix that would disable OA at altitudes higher than 120m but that's not going to be right in certain scenarios. Polarized vision sensor lenses? OR a huge warning on the box that says when RTH is enabled make sure OA is disabled if facing direct sunlight?

Reactions: Mr Spock
Just a dumb question. I've seen on a few in boxing videos that there is plastic protective covers on the OA sensors. Any chance you may have not removed them?

Ha ha that made laugh as I know I removed them...but it did make me check again :-D

Did this on my iPhone and wondered why people couldn't hear me on the phone only to find the screen plastic was covering the mic...

This is not going to be an easy one for DJI to resolve if this is what is happening, I was thinking along the lines of a FW fix that would disable OA at altitudes higher than 120m but that's not going to be right in certain scenarios. Polarized vision sensor lenses? OR a huge warning on the box that says when RTH is enabled make sure OA is disabled if facing direct sunlight?
But is good all of this info u provided is amazing. I don't know I was thinking FW too but improving the stereoscopic vision algorithm that the FOA sensors use. In any case now even know what to do in a case like yours and thank you for this.

Ha ha that made laugh as I know I removed them...but it did make me check again :-D

Did this on my iPhone and wondered why people couldn't hear me on the phone only to find the screen plastic was covering the mic...

I just hope this isn't commonplace. I'd hate for me or anyone to lose a drone over a simple setting. I'm glad you found yours and I'm glad I learned to shut off OA if I have that issue. At least your luckier than the person that was killed in their autopilot Tesla that had a sensor blinded by the sun.

At least it wasn't like this. This had me dying, no stick was in play and surprisingly it coasted a little bit and plummeted back to earth like comet or meteor. No one was hurt thankfully.

Sent from [emoji211]

I had the OA issue on one of my flights so I just flipped it into sports mode and it came back via the RTH function I have all the OA settings on by default atm and my RTH height I change for the location I am flying in

Yes, but if it was an issue where obstacle avoidance was interfering, you should have received the audible and graphic warning on your controller screen. Was it beeping and warning you of an obstacle?

so yes I was being and idiot which I'm now paying the price for and have learned a harsh lesson
HA.. I was a little annoyed at first statement you made when you stated .. "I'm not an idiot noobie.." which is insinuating that noobies are all idiots.. :)
though I'm not a noob... anymore... ... we all had to start somehow... but you did make me feel better with the above statement.. basically saying the obvious that no matter how much time we have doing anything.. we can sometimes make a "noobish" mistake haha..
But.. most importantly.. very happy you found it and very happy to see how the community came together to assist with ideas and theories...
Happy Holidays everyone...

Reactions: Loz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929