DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Make Regulations Based on Logic not Fear

Actually, I thought the article was biased, misleading as well as myopic. For starters, I thought the title might be classified as click-bait. To argue the other side of the position, one cannot just look at the details of the present, but anticipate the future as well, and do so from many different angles. The article provided a short history of the adoption of Part 107, but rather than focusing on the operational rules, with any mention of faciliation rather than restriction. THAT I think is where drone pilots need to place our focus as there are fewer and fewer places to fly without restrictions and hurdles. And I think THAT should be DJI's larger concern as well as the upcoming UAV ID rules that are coming down the pike. But the article didn't focus on that.

I won't get into the politics of it, but focus on the economics. Why is it a bad thing for the US government agencies to have to use US made products? In doing so, it provides stimulus for US manufacturing and competition in the marketplace, especially international competition where virtually none exists. It also provides for additional security measures and perhaps classified tools for US government entities that could not be had reliably through foreign manufacturers. There is so much more that I would like to say, but needs to be omitted to avoid commenting on both both domestic and international politics of what I think is a biased article, written by one with a vested interest in the position. I have no issues with DJI, but I think one could make a very strong case for the other side of the argument. JMO

Last edited:
Let's just put it all on the table.
Fear, Ignorance, and greed is what fed these new regulations. Every since 9/11, this country is totally paranoid about anything that can be construed as an attack, whether from inside or outside the borders.
Then, you have idiots who want to make YouTube history by flying drones close to planes, or actually arming the drones.
Factor in that now companies want to start delivering products via drones (thereby introducing the financial incentive), and now you have regulations curtailing the hobby, but expanding the industry.
Bottom line, we were screwed from day one. The FAA had its mind made up when it put the idea on the table, and all that opening up for public comments and round tables of groups, was just for show.

Bottom line, we were screwed from day one
That's a pretty cynical viewpoint but I'm pretty much in line with it. It seemed like all of a sudden people started wanting the government to protect them against everything. Naturally that can't be done but it doesn't stop some of these nitwits in power to think they are saving the world by writing all these ridiculous regulations.
I agree that if the FAA gives permission to deliver by drone that they are going to have to regulate the lower airspace and it's not going to be like the victor airway system. It's going to include everything. Adios class G airspace. Hope I'm wrong!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin