DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

i used hot glue, but epoxy would work well. something which wont corrode through to wiring :)

I found 2 clear spaces to drill through and made this tight and flush connection point. I think I might permanently glue or epoxy this in place. What do you guys think? Getting closer :)

View attachment 16143 View attachment 16144

Getting closer indeed!
One of the reasons i chose for the way i modded was to reduce stress on the wires inside. You see as well how little room is left under the hood. The xt60 connectors need some force to be pulled apart. Just cannot get used to them. I ve always used 3- 6mm bullets from 450 to 700 size competition heli's. Although they can be pulled apart easily when needed, i never had any disconnects even under extremes except crashes ( im a master in the latter :)).
Using glue/epoxy on a xt60 attached to mavic shell i almost can assure will result in the xt60 seperating when you try to unplug unless you hold the connector firm when doing so.
Not to glue could mean you d stress the wires too much if you yank it.
Then again, im speaking for myself. Id probably push myself into a position where i need to unplug asap and undo the mod from the outside!

Just completed the solder at the board. I highly recommend that nobody attempt to solder in this manner/location. It was so cramped and I nearly ruined the power lines to one rotor. Glad that stress is behind me :)

drone-range-test-20.png drone-range-test-19.png

Decided to hot glue the XT60's in place. I think having just a little flexibility of the glue will make the connectors more durable over time and use (epoxy just wasn't sounding good to me for this application). I probably over applied the glue, but these suckers ain't coming loose ever! Trying to decide where to place the last 2 solder joints. Considering sacrificing 2 of the hood screw wells right next to the hot glue area. Any words of wisdom here?

drone-range-test-23.png drone-range-test-22.png

Which scre holes. Make sure you keep using the two screws which go into the folding metal bracket hinge thingie, I wouldn’t want to lose those. But in that corner would be good.

Decided to hot glue the XT60's in place. I think having just a little flexibility of the glue will make the connectors more durable over time and use (epoxy just wasn't sounding good to me for this application). I probably over applied the glue, but these suckers ain't coming loose ever! Trying to decide where to place the last 2 solder joints. Considering sacrificing 2 of the hood screw wells right next to the hot glue area. Any words of wisdom here?

View attachment 16195 View attachment 16196
Nice to see the mini project taking final shape. Hard to say for the soldering. As long as the upper case fits back in place..

Reactions: digdat0
@Maclak
and all the others who use XT 60 connectors, the trick us oldschool distance players have been doing for a couple years is using dielectric grease, you can get a little packet of it on the counter of your auto parts store or a big bottle.
you put it right inside the connector and allows you to unplug almost one handed, slides in and out don't have to replace for about 30 disconnects, it's a must have[emoji41]

@Maclak
and all the others who use XT 60 connectors, the trick us oldschool distance players have been doing for a couple years is using dielectric grease, you can get a little packet of it on the counter of your auto parts store or a big bottle.
you put it right inside the connector and allows you to unplug almost one handed, slides in and out don't have to replace for about 30 disconnects, it's a must have[emoji41]

Very cool, thx for the tip.

Finally... it's finished!. I didn't plan very well and had to Dremel out sections of the hood framing to get it closed. I also had to sacrifice the front 2 hood screws, but it worked and powered up on the first try. Will do a test flight after dark tonight. Now I have to wait another 2 weeks to get the 4000 lihv's from Hong Kong.

Big thanks to Maclak, Digdat, and Cybernate for your inspiration and support.

drone-range-test-24.png drone-range-test-29.png drone-range-test-25.png drone-range-test-27.png drone-range-test-26.png

Last edited:
Finally... it's finished!. I didn't plan very well and had to Dremel out sections of the hood framing to get it closed. I also had to sacrifice the front 2 hood screws, but it worked and powered up on the first try. Will do a test flight after dark tonight. Now I have to wait another 2 weeks to get the 4000 lihv's from Hong Kong.

Big thanks to Maclak, Digdat, and Cybernate for your inspiration and support.

View attachment 16210 View attachment 16211 View attachment 16212 View attachment 16213
its all about the end product and whether it works, but that looks like nice job well done man! no go fly! :D

Multistar, 3000mah LiHV. You can get them at Hobbyking.com. Having a single 4000mah is also a good option for less weight. I might go that route for simplicity.
CyberNate what kind of distance were you seeing out of the single 4000mAh LiHV battery?

its all about the end product and whether it works, but that looks like nice job well done man! no go fly! :D

I just ran the new battery bypass mod on the same course I last used with the battery clip mod. I for sure can see more effective use of the external batteries. Does this concur with what you guys are seeing?

Battery Clip Mod
23:15 flight time
Distance 24,169 feet
Landing Battery 13%
Dual 1500 3s poly
11.4 volts each at end of flight
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Battery Bypass Mod
26:22 flight time
Distance 25,179 feet (new personal best)
Landing Battery 23%
Dual 1500 3s poly
11.1 volts each at end of flight

I just ran the new battery bypass mod on the same course I last used with the battery clip mod. I for sure can see more effective use of the external batteries. Does this concur with what you guys are seeing?

Battery Clip Mod
Distance 24,169 feet
Landing Battery 13%
Dual 1500 3s poly

Battery Bypass Mod
Landing Battery 23%
Dual 1500 3s poly
I’d say it works quite well! I don’t have a clip so no experience there but those are great results, with just two 1500s!

Battery Clip Mod
Distance 24,169 feet
Landing Battery 13%
Dual 1500 3s poly
Airdata"]Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones[/URL]

Battery Bypass Mod
Landing Battery 23%
Dual 1500 3s poly
Airdata"]Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones[/URL]

Yes, that's very good flight time and proper voltage on external. What speed are you flying at? You should cover more ground than that in 26 minutes. Perhaps you are dealing with some wind?

Last edited:

Battery Clip Mod
Distance 24,169 feet
Landing Battery 13%
Dual 1500 3s poly

Battery Bypass Mod
Landing Battery 23%
Dual 1500 3s poly
Great job on the mod, very nice solutions!
I d have to test to come with more numbers.
Your times look good. Would be great if you could add stock specs to that list!
The multistars also in stock in EU store for info.

QUOTE="CyberNate, post: 238756, member: 4096"]Yes, that's very good flight time and proper voltage on external. What speed are you flying at? You should cover more ground than that in 26 minutes. Perhaps you are dealing with some wind?[/QUOTE]

Yes, some pretty wicked winds on that flight? Just curious, I paid extra on airdata to get the wind stats that are attached here. Are you able to see them, or only the persons account that paid for it?

Here is the flight: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

drone-range-test-28.png [

QUOTE="CyberNate, post: 238756, member: 4096"]Yes, that's very good flight time and proper voltage on external. What speed are you flying at? You should cover more ground than that in 26 minutes. Perhaps you are dealing with some wind?

Yes, some pretty wicked winds on that flight? Just curious, I paid extra on airdata to get the wind stats that are attached here. Are you able to see them, or only the persons account that paid for it?

Here is the flight: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

View attachment 16234 [[/QUOTE]

I have a free account, cannot see "in flight" winds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569