DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Remote Non Functional After Firmware Upgrade

Mem

Reactions
Created this post due to a unique problem that has happened twice to two separate remotes (RC) and am wondering if this has happened to anyone else. If not, be forewarned of the potential problem.

I purchased two Mavics, using one and holding the other on the side as a gift to an enthusiast friend. I upgraded firmware on the first Mavic using DJI Go (this was not the last firmware dated 12/6/2016. but the prior version). Used an IPhone 7 plus. The problem apparently resulted because I used the USB Mini port (underside of the RC instead of the USB Micro (side of the result to be used with the grips). I simply hate having to remove my IPhone case to use the side port with the grips, and found it easier just to plug in to the underside port. The upgrade worked, but stalled at 99%. Then received a message that connection was lost. I reconnected the app through the USB Micro and it connected, indicating completion of the upgrade.

Problem is that the USB Mini was then non functional. Tried different cables and different devices. I sent the unit back to DJI in GA, and they repaired under warranty, and am still waiting to receive the RC.

This is what's interesting. I used the second brand new remote, linked it to the Mavic and did the exact same firmware upgrade, using the same USB Mini port. This time used DJI Go 4. The exact same thing happened. Stalled at 99% due to the disconnection. The USB port is dead. Once again, DJI agreed to take back the 2nd remote for repair, but it can't be a coincidence that both RC's failed exactly the same way.

I don't know if the problem is hardware or software related, and the repair notes from the first RC repair apparently weren't helpful to DJI Service. They are obviously going to look at it more carefully this time.

I am wondering if anyone else did the bird's firmware upgrade using the USB Mini port, with IOS, and had no problem. If so, I suspect the Mavic may be causing the issue.

I had the same problem with it stuck on 99%. Tried again and it went through. Very buggy.

Anyway, the maximum distance I could fly was about 300ft up and 200ft out before I lose the RC connection. I contacted DJI. They wanted me to send it to Carson, CA for repair. It's a brand new drone and I have to send it for repair? So I ended up returning it for a P4!! Wow, although clunky, it's a dream to fly. Distance is amazing.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: No1much
This was changed in the last firmware release (the one before the latest 12/6 one). If you have a cable plugged into the micro USB port, the USB Port on the bottom is disconnected. Once you unplug the cable from the Micro USB port, the bottom port will then activate again. If you were doing those upgrades, or attempting to use it with the micro cable plugged in, then the bottom port would have appeared dead, even though it wasn't.

Created this post due to a unique problem that has happened twice to two separate remotes (RC) and am wondering if this has happened to anyone else. If not, be forewarned of the potential problem.

I purchased two Mavics, using one and holding the other on the side as a gift to an enthusiast friend. I upgraded firmware on the first Mavic using DJI Go (this was not the last firmware dated 12/6/2016. but the prior version). Used an IPhone 7 plus. The problem apparently resulted because I used the USB Mini port (underside of the RC instead of the USB Micro (side of the result to be used with the grips). I simply hate having to remove my IPhone case to use the side port with the grips, and found it easier just to plug in to the underside port. The upgrade worked, but stalled at 99%. Then received a message that connection was lost. I reconnected the app through the USB Micro and it connected, indicating completion of the upgrade.

Problem is that the USB Mini was then non functional. Tried different cables and different devices. I sent the unit back to DJI in GA, and they repaired under warranty, and am still waiting to receive the RC.

This is what's interesting. I used the second brand new remote, linked it to the Mavic and did the exact same firmware upgrade, using the same USB Mini port. This time used DJI Go 4. The exact same thing happened. Stalled at 99% due to the disconnection. The USB port is dead. Once again, DJI agreed to take back the 2nd remote for repair, but it can't be a coincidence that both RC's failed exactly the same way.

I don't know if the problem is hardware or software related, and the repair notes from the first RC repair apparently weren't helpful to DJI Service. They are obviously going to look at it more carefully this time.

I am wondering if anyone else did the bird's firmware upgrade using the USB Mini port, with IOS, and had no problem. If so, I suspect the Mavic may be causing the issue.

Hmm, I've recently, maybe yesterday, performed an upgrade via the Go app with my iPhone 6s Plus. I think I had it connected via the standard USB A port as I also had a charger connected through the Micro USB port. I don't think the controller has a USB Mini port.

diffrent%20ports%204_0.jpg

Did you try to update the f/w with Assistant 2 after these incidents?

If not then why did DJI not suggest this before asking you to send it back in to them. It looks like all the support answers appear to be, calibrate the IMU or send it in. Really bad practice!

Reactions: Kilrah
The mini USB Port that I was referring to and using was, in fact, a "Type A." So in other words, I used the Type A for the upgrade and the Micro port was not connected to anything (although the short DJI USB Micro to Lightening cable was plugged in).

My Type A port is dead, even when the Micro is unused. It simply no longer permits a connection.

The mini USB Port that I was referring to and using was, in fact, a "Type A." So in other words, I used the Type A for the upgrade and the Micro port was not connected to anything (although the short DJI USB Micro to Lightening cable was plugged in).

My Type A port is dead, even when the Micro is unused. It simply no longer permits a connection.
By unused you mean unplugged right? Since the last 2 f/w updates the side connector has to physically be UNPLUGGED when powering on the remote for the bottom port to be active.

EDIT: If this is the case and your bottom port works after unplugging the side connector and powering on it really shows how uninformed the DJI support really is. Sorry I know those are strong words but if half the people on the forums know this then there really is no excuse, not to mention that they should go through steps like this whilst troubleshooting rather then a simple... Send it in for repair!

I also think this is probably why the update failed as when the controller restarted it could not find the bottom port to complete the update correctly.

Last edited:
chippe, You are correct! The bottom Type A connector works when the micro USB is unplugged. I too can't believe that DJI support didn't focus in on this issue. They serviced a perfectly working remote, at their cost, and asked me to send on the second remote after I explained that I had the same issue. Not very efficient.

Reactions: chippie
Unbelievable eh!

Well on the bright side at least you do not have to send the second one back and can play happily...

@Blade Strike

Ken, you may want to relay the above few posts to the powers that be. Apologies for the strong words against the 1st line support guys, I am sure it does not apply to everybody but they really should know this rather than having the remote sent back for repair. Looks like they did not even bother to troubleshoot the issue...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78