DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Stress Cracks

makg

Reactions
Had my Mavic about 5 months or so, and have noticed two symmetrical bulges slowly appear on the nose, and grow larger. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but now that cracks are appearing it's irritating. Haven't crashed or dropped it, everything works great on it.

I will likely get a hold of DJI in the near future, but I wanted to see if anyone has similar issues on a Mavic of similar age.

Attachments

• IMG_6194.JPG
    IMG_6194.JPG
    767.8 KB · Views: 1,401
  • IMG_6199.JPG
    IMG_6199.JPG
    868.3 KB · Views: 1,460
I have two small bulges in that area too. My shell hasn't started cracking yet though.

Reactions: delvecchioforza
Had my Mavic about 5 months or so, and have noticed two symmetrical bulges slowly appear on the nose, and grow larger. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but now that cracks are appearing it's irritating. Haven't crashed or dropped it, everything works great on it.

I will likely get a hold of DJI in the near future, but I wanted to see if anyone has similar issues on a Mavic of similar age.
Heat? what is under that, is that where the springs for the front arms connect? Looking at disassembly pictures I find nothing except the front sensors. I have bumps but nothing else. Three months old.
Regards,
-d.

Last edited:
Heat? what is under that? I have bumps but nothing else. Three months old.
Regards,
-d.
I thought about that, but there really isn't anything to generate much heat in that area. I would guess just expansion and contraction of the polymer through atmospheric temperature fluctuations (I've flown in Hawaii and AK) and a thin section from the molding process.

Attachments

• inside-djimavic-1.jpg
    inside-djimavic-1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 655
Heat? what is under that, is that where the springs for the front arms connect? Looking at disassembly pictures I find nothing except the front sensors. I have bumps but nothing else. Three months old.
Regards,
-d.

That's where the GPS / integrated front compass module is. Maybe it's generating excessive heat? Mine has no signs of that. (yet?)

I guess it will be harder to see with a skin on but; I'll have to add that specific area to my checklist.

Reactions: Obi~wan
If those bulges are where there are connecting tabs connecting the top to the bottom of the fuselage, then there is a stress between the two somewhere.

If those bulges are where there are connecting tabs connecting the top to the bottom of the fuselage
I haven't opened my shell, but that's where they appear to be on mine.

Reactions: Daniel3257
Makes one want to do more complete "night before" inspections and more critically.

Note that in forward flight (nose down) the airflow is pressing against the top shell so it may be flexing inward in the thin areas and so lifting and putting stress where it connects to the bottom. Do you fly fast in sport mode a lot?

I'll look at this more carefully when I get my MP back - I might epoxy some "plastic plating" in there too before something starts.

upload_2017-3-23_13-25-31.png

Makes one want to do more complete "night before" inspections and more critically.

Note that in forward flight (nose down) the airflow is pressing against the top shell so it may be flexing inward in the thin areas and so lifting and putting stress where it connects to the bottom. Do you fly fast in sport mode a lot?

I'll look at this more carefully when I get my MP back - I might epoxy some "plastic plating" in there too before something starts.

View attachment 9158
Yes, I do fly in sport mode often, but I feel as if my Mavic has relatively low time despite being 4-5 months old.
DJI is telling me to send it in, sounds like it shouldn't be a big hassle for warranty coverage.

Yes, I do fly in sport mode often, but I feel as if my Mavic has relatively low time despite being 4-5 months old.
DJI is telling me to send it in, sounds like it shouldn't be a big hassle for warranty coverage.

Given the long turnaround for a DJI repair I'd probably repair it myself. Drill a small crack stop hole and then fill it and the crack with epoxy. Best to remove the top shell to so and put epoxy on the bottom side as well.

Reactions: Bunny Too

That is exactly what's happened to the front of my Mavic. It could be a picture of the drone I'm looking at now.
It's a relief to know I'm not the only one.

I'm all about working on my own things, but if its covered under warranty I'm going to make DJI eat the cost. I didn't pay 1K to have to drill stop cracks, do epoxy/fiberglass work, or zip tie stitch plastic like a worn out snowmobile. I will likely wait another month or so for DJI supply to catch up and less warranty turn around time. In the mean time I will continue flying and let the cracks grow larger I suppose.

Last edited:
I'm all about working on my own things, but if its covered under warranty I'm going to make DJI eat the cost. I didn't pay 1K to have to drill stop cracks, do epoxy/fiberglass work, or zip tie stitch plastic like a worn out snowmobile. I will likely wait another month or so for DJI supply to catch up and less warranty turn around time. In the mean time I will continue flying and let the cracks grow larger I suppose.

I actually do have a MP into DJI for the camera. Something I can't repair.

It will be out of my hands for 4 - 6 weeks.

I would rather have my home-repaired MP in hand to fly than at DJI burning warranty and Care Refresh time. That's "cost" too.

Reactions: Berm_Rooster
Mine has the same thing in the same spot.

Reactions: edbelto

Just like mine i have the same cracks 99,9% spot on

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan