DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Stress Cracks

I don't have much to offer except that I've noticed some analogous bulges after 80 flights and ~13 hours.
62f5fde902839be183edd0adbf696f12.jpg
1625d331422291898ad047f45ee8d016.jpg
6f6705fc3d68786567941326de27fc52.jpg
93ad121ae60344194d5221d76f2ba412.jpg

Mine had the same symptoms. Contacted support,they advised to send it in as was only a month or so old. Repaired free under warranty.

Well I say repaired,they sent me a new Mavic with completely different serial number.

Do those with the bulge and/or crack: do you fly in Sport mode a lot? Fast?
From an engineering standpoint this points to defective assembly/molding rather than in flight aerodynamic force. The location of the tabs close to the edge and the thickness of the polymer surrounding the tabs are not particularly robust features. Also, one possibility is the top fuselage piece that slides forward into place (prior to the allen screw installation) isn't seated fully all the way, pushing back on the two tabs and causing them to bulge and eventually crack. That's my theory anyways. I want to open it, but I don't want to void the warranty for when I send it back.

Given the long turnaround for a DJI repair I'd probably repair it myself. Drill a small crack stop hole and then fill it and the crack with epoxy. Best to remove the top shell to so and put epoxy on the bottom side as well.
This VOIDs the warranty and you'll be on your own if something more critical than this happens...

Reactions: Mavicjon999
From an engineering standpoint this points to defective assembly/molding rather than in flight aerodynamic force. The location of the tabs close to the edge and the thickness of the polymer surrounding the tabs are not particularly robust features. Also, one possibility is the top fuselage piece that slides forward into place (prior to the allen screw installation) isn't seated fully all the way, pushing back on the two tabs and causing them to bulge and eventually crack. That's my theory anyways. I want to open it, but I don't want to void the warranty for when I send it back.

Could be. I'll stick to the air load due to sport mode flying and the very nose down attitude of the MP at high speed.

Not checked mine, hopefully it is just cosmetic. Although it would be great to get a better understanding of the cause for future reference.

On a less serious note: as the MP matures the horns are starting to grow :p

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Please tell me how that could void the warranty.
While it's clear from the post your intent is good, if I was the manufacturer and somebody returned a drone with holes drilled in it complaining of cracks... I wouldn't accept it. They have no way of knowing if your drill didn't cause the cracks. Now...if this becomes an accepted/supported defect, maybe, but I wouldn't take it to the bank. You alter the physical case, it is likely to affect warranty on the case.

As I was putting my Mavic away last night, I thought of another cause for the cracks. I'd agree with earlier posts that it likely is not flight stress and likely is related to thin material in that spot and/or molding/mounting anomalies, however...

...that front-most point of the Mavic takes all the force any time you put the drone nose down in the case. It's the point. The weight of the entire unit is magnified on that edge. That means, any little bumps the bottom of the case takes along the way with hard surfaces, go right to that location. So over time, if the material is already thin, stress cracks and deformation.

Maybe we need a little more padding on the nose.

As a test of this theory, can folks with cracks comment on if they use the DJI Mavic nose down case or something similar, vs. hollowed out foam in a rigid case. ?

Last edited:
As I was putting my Mavic away last night, I thought of another cause for the cracks. I'd agree with earlier posts that it likely is not flight stress and likely is related to thin material in that spot and/or molding/mounting anomalies, however...

...that front-most point of the Mavic takes all the force any time you put the drone nose down in the case. It's the point. The weight of the entire unit is magnified on that edge. That means, any little bumps the bottom of the case takes along the way with hard surfaces, go right to that location. So over time, if the material is already thin, stress cracks and deformation.

Maybe we need a little more padding on the nose.

As a test of this theory, can folks with cracks comment on if they use the DJI Mavic nose down case or something similar, vs. hollowed out foam in a rigid case. ?

I was thinking the same thing, until I saw post #10
Bumps on front top of my mavic

Reactions: KiterTodd
My MP also has the two bulges. It is only 4 months old, approximately 60 flights. I don't fly in Sport mode & I never insert the MP bubble down in the case.
I agree w/ post #25 that it is a defective molding process that affects some, but not all top plates.
DJI needs to take ownership of this issue & send out a notice.

Reactions: KiterTodd
While it's clear from the post your intent is good, if I was the manufacturer and somebody returned a drone with holes drilled in it complaining of cracks... I wouldn't accept it. They have no way of knowing if your drill didn't cause the cracks. Now...if this becomes an accepted/supported defect, maybe, but I wouldn't take it to the bank. You alter the physical case, it is likely to affect warranty on the case.

The question I asked was why such would void a warranty. Repairs and modifications do not void warranties unless it can be proven that the repair or modification caused damage.

If I do my proposed repair it will not cause any issue IMO. So after that (some weeks or months later) say the GPS dies. For them to dishonour the warranty they would have to show how my repair caused the GPS issues. The repair I proposed is simply to stop the crack propagation.

I just got the "Repair Invoice" for my Mavic (out of focus issue on one side). I modified the stop tab for the rear arms to reinforce them due to some others having damaged them in bad landings.

So, how did DJI react to that? Nada. The "Repair Invoice" for the camera is 0. Warranty covered. Will be repaired. They didn't jump all over the modification as an excuse to not honour the warranty.

My proposed fix is very simple. Remove the top shell. Drill a small hole. Fill the crack and the hole with epoxy. Tidy it up and let cure for 24 hours. That is not going to damage anything - but it will stop the crack propagation and the bird will be available to fly while not burning warranty and Care Refresh clock (as my MP has been doing for 3 weeks).

Reactions: Glen e
I've had one bump out of the box. All I did was hover. Not sure if it appeared before the hover or after but definitely no real flying at all.

Don't see even the slightest sign of any bumps on the front end of my Mavic at this time.

Had my Mavic about a month now...think I will take a closer look at it....

I have the 2 bumps at the front top. They are actually small cracks when looked at it with a magnifying loop.
Contacted DJI about this and they want me to send it in.
This MP has never been used in sport mode, and never any hard landings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan