DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic tried to kill me! Please, help reading the logs.

oh, first of all the title of the thread is alarmistic, so please correct it. A mavic will NOT kill you ffs.

Now it looks the image recognition got confused , its funny that you did something on the controller before it actually sped up.
Did you by any chance pushed the sticks or something?

Is quite weird that it dived like that.

He says he didn't touch the sticks. And besides, even if he had, he only had his right hand on the RC, which means that although he could have theoretically caused the forward movement, he could not have caused the simultaneous descent. (Assuming the default controller mode 2)

oh, first of all the title of the thread is alarmistic, so please correct it. A mavic will NOT kill you ffs.

Now it looks the image recognition got confused , its funny that you did something on the controller before it actually sped up.
Did you by any chance pushed the sticks or something?

Is quite weird that it dived like that.

Hi, thanks for the advice but I like it. It's a bit sarcastic :)

Anyway, back to the main problem - Yes it's strange that I looked at the phone just before that happened. I thought that I pressed something too but from the logs you can see that the sticks were all 0. Only when it was to "kill us" I pulled Up and Backwards which cause it to stop right above our heads.

Can you post a screen recording of the flight record playback within the Go app?

Sure! Here it is: MUUF9681.MOV
It includes only the interesting part + some manual forward<>backward replay at the end. It's strange that in this playback the Go App doesn't show the "Obstacle avoided" warning which you can see in the original screen recording just right at the end.

Sure! Here it is: MUUF9681.MOV
It includes only the interesting part + some manual forward<>backward replay at the end. It's strange that in this playback the Go App doesn't show the "Obstacle avoided" warning which you can see in the original screen recording just right at the end.

That definitely shows no stick inputs, and no other apparent actions initiated by you. It certainly seems like the Mavic just had a complete freakout for no apparent reason. I wonder if any of the gurus will be able to find anything interesting in the more detailed .dat file.

Just curious as I don't have my mavic yet, but would having it in tap to fly mode and accidentally tapping on yourself on the screen send the drone flying at you like that?

This Mavic is the terminator!!
Run John Connor!!

8d546e87e89213411dd70b2b75c39c00.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious as I don't have my mavic yet, but would having it in tap to fly mode and accidentally tapping on yourself on the screen send the drone flying at you like that?
Yes, it could happen but you should Tap and then confirm (so double tap accidentally), also the front obstacle avoidance should stop it in normal operation and of course it would be slower by default if you didn't increased the speed with the slider.

@Dimitar Stoimenov how do you hand catch it? It looks like you have that dialed. Just curious what method works for you.
I haven't got the nerve to try it yet based on the horror stories I have read about it's fight for flight when you get a hold of it.
Yes, there are a lot of videos in you tube showng how to do it. For me it's different every time. Sometimes everything is OK and it stops its motors quietly, sometimes it wants to fly away again and sometimes it cuts a little bit your fingers, luckily so far without big damage but it hurts if it's too cold outside :D I put to to hover next to me, place my hand beneath it and pull the left stick only down. It's important not to move your hand up or down and that's it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KiterTodd
Reading through the Mavic Pro user manual and on page 21/62 section D under the category for ActiveTrack it reads "Be extra vigilant when using ActiveTrack in the following situations" and specifically reads "The tracked subject is moving on a snowy surface". Not sure how this affects ActiveTrack, but this clearly is related to your issue. Just glad nobody was hurt.

Yes, there are a lot of videos in you tube showng how to do it. For me it's different every time. Sometimes everything is OK and it stops its motors quietly, sometimes it wants to fly away again and sometimes it cuts a little bit your fingers, luckily so far without big damage but it hurts if it's too cold outside :D I put to to hover next to me, place my hand beneath it and pull the sticks down. It's important not to move your hand up or down and that's it.

Clarification..... Pull the STICK (singular) down. Moving the other stick will cause it to tilt and it tries to fly backwards and increase the chances of you getting cut. Only pull down the altitude stick when landing like this.

Reactions: KiterTodd
WOW. Another Close Encounter of the Bird Kind.

Your logs may reveal the truth, but I tend to agree with the posters citing the snowy surface confusing the bottom sensors as your problem - if you had them engaged. Also, and this may be a stupid question, are you certain your forward OA sensors were active?

Personally, Active Track has worked perfectly for me and I have had no reason not to trust it at all, but you do have to follow EVERY detail to the letter for it to work.

Glad no one was hurt and you saved your Mavic with some good, last minute piloting that obviously worked. Any landing you can walk away from unscathed is a good landing.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

WOW. Another Close Encounter of the Bird Kind.

Your logs may reveal the truth, but I tend to agree with the posters citing the snowy surface confusing the bottom sensors as your problem - if you had them engaged. Also, and this may be a stupid question, are you certain your forward OA sensors were active?

Personally, Active Track has worked perfectly for me and I have had no reason not to trust it at all, but you do have to follow EVERY detail to the letter for it to work.

Glad no one was hurt and you saved your Mavic with some good, last minute piloting that obviously worked. Any landing you can walk away from unscathed is a good landing.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'm tending to agree that the snow is the problem but it would be good if something shows this from the logs. I have flown it in the snow with active track many other times.

Regarding the obstacle avoidance as far as I can understand it turns OFF when you switch on the Profile mode. This happens in my video and also in other videos I've checked in youtube with the Profile mode (see the icon similar to WiFi signal going to red) .
Regarding the Sonar sensors - I didn't turn them off manually and I don't know if they are turned off as OA when Profile mode is activated.

I'm tending to agree that the snow is the problem but it would be good if something shows this from the logs. I have flown it in the snow with active track many other times.

Regarding the obstacle avoidance as far as I can understand it turns OFF when you switch on the Profile mode. This happens in my video and also in other videos I've checked in youtube with the Profile mode (see the icon similar to WiFi signal going to red) .
Regarding the Sonar sensors - I didn't turn them off manually and I don't know if they are turned off as OA when Profile mode is activated.

Gotcha. You obviously know yours Mavic well and are aware of its systems, a big plus in your favor to pinpointing the cause of your problem. I, too, have had my Mavic Trace me while walking in the forest in the snow without problem. Yet the Mavic manual does cautioun us about using it under such conditions.

I'm certain you will find the cause of this problem and make adjustments to avoid it from happening to you again. What you can't learn or figure out on your own, the good people in this Forum will gladly be of assistance to you.

Best of luck to you and your wife and I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread to see how things work out for you. Get back up on that horse and show us some more good video like you shared with us already. Safe flying, fun filming, and happy photography.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dimitar Stoimenov
I've had pretty good luck with active track. I did notice that when I bend down to put the controller on the ground, it makes an aggressive move towards me, a couple feet, then stops. Like it's trying to find me or something. Your situation looks different, but I thought I'd share my experience.

Hi all,

I'm pretty new in the forum but I have one very interesting case to share with you which happened 2 days ago with my Mavic.

The Mavic was in Active Track (Profile) mode and suddenly it accelerated towards me and my wife. Luckily it missed us and nobody was hurt. I was able to pull the sticks Up and Backwards which forced the Mavic to stop otherwise it would have crashed into us or in the trees.

Here is the Flight Log (issues occurs around 7th min): Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Here is the DAT file too: FLY058.DAT (I think there is something wrong with it because I couldn't recognize the accident in it)

Here is the Video from my phone of the actual accident (50s):

I didn't press anything on the remote or in the app, and according to the logs there were 13 satellites and no problems with the battery or compass. However, maybe I missed something in the log which caused this strange behavior. Please, give it a look and let me know what could cause this spontaneous change in the flight of my Mavic.

This was the second battery that day with no issues. I flew it the day after with no issues again but didn't try the Profile mode :D If you are interested, here is the video from the same day before the accident:
And soon I will post a video from the following day skiing with my friends.

Regards,
Dimitar
That's not the right .DAT since it doesn't have a motorStart. Look here for help on retrieving the right .DAT.

But, there is enough info in the .txt to see what happened. Look in your first video at time 59 secs and there is a message about an obstacle having been avoided. That coincides with an event in the .txt log
upload_2017-2-21_6-44-38.png
At time 402 the ultrasonic height sensor went from 5.4 meters to 0 indicating the Mavic sensed something immediately below it. The response was to speed up to avoid the obstacle. There was no control input at this point.
upload_2017-2-21_6-46-15.png

Looks like BudWalker nailed it. I wonder if a bird flew under it while you were looking away? Flew over a branch that wasn't visible to us in the FOV? Bad connection in the ultrasonic sensor? Height misread from flying over complex surface (snow then branches in snow creating hollows)? The last two are kind of like searching for boogeymen under your bed if it never happens again though.

p.s. The "Warning, Subject lost. Searching..." is funny in a spooky kind of way if you look at it like it WAS trying to kill you.

The video also shows the quick "Obstacle avoided. Please revise flight route" popup message that I at first assumed was because it just avoided either you or the ground when it flew at you. Given BudWalker's reading of the data, that might've been the warning that popped up BECAUSE it thought it had to avoid an obstacle when it was following you and then flew at you. Would be interesting to know if it was a real obstacle (bird, branch, etc) or an error of some kind.

Reactions: larkin

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman