DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MavMount not perfect (what is right?)

noone, thanks for posting thise photos. Looks like another viable option and I like there is a dedicated place for a lanyard, something I feel the mavmount is missing. The combination of the Fstop unit and the DJI tablet mount is the same price as the mavmount I'm looking at, but options are good!
Just put a key ring around the ball mount neck for your neck strap to snap to, works great.

I flew 3 batteries on the beach today with my Mavmount XL, did not find it too heavy. I even hand caught and launched (since I was on sand) holding the controller, Mavmount and iPad Air 2 and was able to do it. I am not in shape at all, more mush than muscle.

The only complaints I have after 3 weeks of the MavMount is really just the cost. It is pretty expensive considering most of it is cheap items you can find on Amazon. The only custom part is the metal plate.

The weight does not bother me too much, really the heavy part is the iPad Air2 but I am not willing to drop $300 on an iPad Mini when I already have an Air2 just sitting around.

I guess the only other plus would be a lanyard clip on it to help with the weight.

Just flew for the first time with my new MavMount and I concur with this. The mount is rock-solid in my controller and while the MavMount + iPad Air 2 is perhaps awkward on the tiny Mavic controller, it is perfectly usable and no more of a challenge than the P3 controller with iPad.

It's a dream with the iPhone 7+ - now I can actually press the home button! That is a major design flaw of the controller.

Incidentally, I have a 1' lightning cable that works fine for both devices on the mount.

Just flew for the first time with my new MavMount and I concur with this. The mount is rock-solid in my controller and while the MavMount + iPad Air 2 is perhaps awkward on the tiny Mavic controller, it is perfectly usable and no more of a challenge than the P3 controller with iPad.

It's a dream with the iPhone 7+ - now I can actually press the home button! That is a major design flaw of the controller.

Incidentally, I have a 1' lightning cable that works fine for both devices on the mount.

Joby tablet mount is great addition to Mavmount
fe459039cbe3e955a2d7f987285c246c.jpg
957aa8fea57796e51dbb1694e75f3e98.jpg
a0ec86fcbc4312845c15a1a6f7c6c95c.jpg
eeda902c93d3db8aa2319379ebabc3dc.jpg

Reactions: freelanderuk
I wonder if anyone makes something decent enough to hold a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2? Can't seem to find anything. Landscape position is 203.9 mm. Would appreciate any help finding something that works for me. Thank you. Rob

Reactions: RobP62
How about placing an iPhone case over the base of the mavmount?
We put cases on our phones so why not the mavmount?
Should fix the issue one would think?

The MavMount XL clamp will hold that just fine. it holds the 12.9" ipad.

MavMount XL 2"-11" iPad AIR PRO mount: Works with iPad Pro 12.9" Archives | MavMount
Thank you for the quick response. Can you tell me if they've modified the design to eliminate the slight movement of the plate in the controller or will it still required additional modifications (as others have stated on the forum)?

It really seems to be the only one out there for a tablet this large.

I also wonder if they ever offer any discounts?

Thanks,
Rob

Thank you for the quick response. Can you tell me if they've modified the design to eliminate the slight movement of the plate in the controller or will it still required additional modifications (as others have stated on the forum)?

It really seems to be the only one out there for a tablet this large.

I also wonder if they ever offer any discounts?

Thanks,
Rob
With a tablet that large, and the arms of the controller only rated for a phone, you'll always have a slight wobble to it. The trick is that flying a drone you don't wobble the controller around so it shouldn't be an issue. There's a few thousand of these out there int he wild, but only a few people have brought it up. That being said, I've been working on something to help if the pilots tendencies are to wobble the controller. Hopefully that will be around soon, and available as an accessory.

I bought the MavMount for my iPad Pro 9.7". Works great. No problems mounting such a large iPad.

Reactions: Aerial West
I have had conversation with aerial west about some play in the mount when using an iPad. His response is that the pilots technique is to fault and says you should not wobble the control when flying. I assure you I do not wobble the controller when flying but I also do not hold it perfectly level and motionless while flying. Any tilt forward or back and you can notice play at the front of the mount. I only contacted the company to see if a fix was in the works. How do you mention a fix in the same breath in which you say it's pilot technique. I still think the mav mount is a well made and fairly priced product and will continue to use it. But the slop felt in the unit is not just from pilot technique.

Hey Tag. I just mean that, for the vast majority of flying, and my own flying, being very experienced flying Inspires professionally, and the mavic now since October of last year, I personally don't notice wobble (on ipand mini and 9.7" as well) because I don't tilt it back and forth as you said it happens when you "tilt forward or back".

So when I asked if you do tilt it, I was trying to understand what issue you were having personally; i wasn't trying to blame "technique" but trying to understand how you fly to give my best advice.

So the way I mention a 'fix' in the same breath is that there are two ways people fly, and actually, probably a lot more. For those that fly still like I do, there is no problem (and this is the vast majority of people).

BUT, the more movement someone introduces into flying... the "tilt forward or back" you mentioned, the more wobble is possible. And what I have found is that some people just don't fly still, so I am making something for those people who need that. I always mention the "be still" suggestion, which most find useful, but if I try to make it even more stable for those that move is cool too.

hope this clarifies things.

Reactions: iQuirk
With a tablet that large, and the arms of the controller only rated for a phone, you'll always have a slight wobble to it. The trick is that flying a drone you don't wobble the controller around so it shouldn't be an issue. There's a few thousand of these out there int he wild, but only a few people have brought it up. That being said, I've been working on something to help if the pilots tendencies are to wobble the controller. Hopefully that will be around soon, and available as an accessory.

Thanks West,
I am definitely interested in that new version. I am not spending more money on a smaller tablet. I want to use what I have, and for now will just use my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge). Keep me in mind when that time comes please. My phone is pushing better than a year old now and I cannot replace the batt like older Sammy phone versions. That is the weak link for me, the batt. Seems to really drop off after the 50% mark......the tablet will run for days it seems (naturally because of the larger batt and limited use it sees). And I am not worried about a hole built in for the neck strap as I think the key ring idea around the ball head (as suggested previously on here) will be just fine. Or as I've seen before (can't remember where now), a neck strap that actually attaches via velcro to the back of both sides of the tablet. The the weight can be distributed a little more and the unit as a whole is more stable.

I know it seems ridiculous to want to use a 12" tablet but hey, I have one, it is a fantastic tablet, and I refuse to buy a smaller one. I will just upgrade my phone first to the new S8+.

Thanks,
Rob

Reactions: Aerial West
Thanks West,
I am definitely interested in that new version. I am not spending more money on a smaller tablet. I want to use what I have, and for now will just use my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge). Keep me in mind when that time comes please. My phone is pushing better than a year old now and I cannot replace the batt like older Sammy phone versions. That is the weak link for me, the batt. Seems to really drop off after the 50% mark......the tablet will run for days it seems (naturally because of the larger batt and limited use it sees). And I am not worried about a hole built in for the neck strap as I think the key ring idea around the ball head (as suggested previously on here) will be just fine. Or as I've seen before (can't remember where now), a neck strap that actually attaches via velcro to the back of both sides of the tablet. The the weight can be distributed a little more and the unit as a whole is more stable.

I know it seems ridiculous to want to use a 12" tablet but hey, I have one, it is a fantastic tablet, and I refuse to buy a smaller one. I will just upgrade my phone first to the new S8+.

Thanks,
Rob
The addition would be an addon, so you can get the setup now, use it just fine, and add this on later.

I'm also making a lanyard strap with a very stable and balanced mounting point addition as well.

Hey guys.. I came up with a solution for the Mavic Plate... super happy to show off a new addition to the MavMount offerings.. the MavLock.

The "MavLock". will solve much if not all of the "play" some people with large tablets have talked about.

View attachment 11996

I've developed a locking tab that keeps the MavMount "locked" from moving up and down at the point where the plate contacts the controller. Now, the MavMount has always been designed to be flush with the controller, but with this tab, it causes the MavMount to extend slightly into the controller, making it impossible to move the way the red arrows are pointing below in the pic.

View attachment 12000

You can literally put the MavMount into the controller and it will stay there without even having the arms on. Of course, use it with the arms... but this is a killer improvement.

View attachment 11997

The best part is that it is CNC milled, anodized black aluminum, which means that it is very strong and ultra light.

View attachment 11998

It's $12 shipped by itself.

I've also made a limited combo package that is the Pro-RC lanyard and lanyard clip, and the new MavLock together for $20 SHIPPED, and its in the accessories section.

Just my way of saying thanks for being awesome supporters.

Looks great, but not seeing where or how to purchase?

Hey guys.. I came up with a solution for the Mavic Plate... super happy to show off a new addition to the MavMount offerings.. the MavLock.

The "MavLock". will solve much if not all of the "play" some people with large tablets have talked about.

View attachment 11996

I've developed a locking tab that keeps the MavMount "locked" from moving up and down at the point where the plate contacts the controller. Now, the MavMount has always been designed to be flush with the controller, but with this tab, it causes the MavMount to extend slightly into the controller, making it impossible to move the way the red arrows are pointing below in the pic.

View attachment 12000

You can literally put the MavMount into the controller and it will stay there without even having the arms on. Of course, use it with the arms... but this is a killer improvement.

View attachment 11997

The best part is that it is CNC milled, anodized black aluminum, which means that it is very strong and ultra light.

View attachment 11998

It's $12 shipped by itself.

I've also made a limited combo package that is the Pro-RC lanyard and lanyard clip, and the new MavLock together for $20 SHIPPED, and its in the accessories section.

Just my way of saying thanks for being awesome supporters.

noone, thanks for posting thise photos. Looks like another viable option and I like there is a dedicated place for a lanyard, something I feel the mavmount is missing. The combination of the Fstop unit and the DJI tablet mount is the same price as the mavmount I'm looking at, but options are good!
theres a lanyard solution now... hope this helps. I know this was asked for a while ago :)

2.jpg 3.jpg

IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0159.JPG The hard part was matching the angles in the controller.
No play at all.

View attachment 12094 The hard part was matching the angles in the controller.
No play at all.
I love to see the ingenuity of these solutions. i used a solution that makes it much less low profile, but probably end up at the same fuctionality as yours.

cool project!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer