DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MavMount not perfect (what is right?)

Andrew Bober

Reactions
I love my new MavMount but I don't like the play in the connection to the RC controller. Is anyone else with a MavMount having the issue I show in this video?

Last edited:
Your video is not visible.

I love my new MavMount but I don't like the play in the connection to the RC controller. Is anyone else with a MavMount having the issue I show in this video?

If you have a 3D printer this was my solution.

Mavic Base Mount by leenanj

This mount is thicker in the front so it locks into the RC controller and
does not wobble like the Mavmount.

I replaced the aluminum mount with this and its lighter and more solid.

Last edited:

Mine kind of did the same thing at first and I determined it was because the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 that I was using was stretching out the clamps because it was slightly thicker than say an iPhone or even a Samsung Galaxy S5/6/7 phone. over time of not putting my tablet into the clamps, the clamps slowly returned to normal and the MavMount became tighter in the clamp. It is not 100% movement free, but much better than it was even just a few days ago.

So my question is what have you been using and could it have possibly stretched out the clamps slightly resulting in your noted wobble?

Reactions: Aerial West
@leenanj Wow thanks for the feedback. It looks like it's about $30 to get it printed in fiber-reinforced nylon so it is as strong as aluminum at 3D Hubs: Browse online 3D printing services. If I hadn't already spent $60 on the MavMount I would give it a try.

Fiber nylon would be nice but the ABS plastic although not as strong as the aluminum is still
stronger than the RC controller that holds it.

I use a iPad mini with a Hoodman sun shield at it is very solid.

Any flexing that I have now is the plastic iPad holder itself. Would like to find a solid aluminum one.

Reactions: Andrew Bober
Mine kind of did the same thing at first and I determined it was because the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 that I was using was stretching out the clamps because it was slightly thicker than say an iPhone or even a Samsung Galaxy S5/6/7 phone. over time of not putting my tablet into the clamps, the clamps slowly returned to normal and the MavMount became tighter in the clamp. It is not 100% movement free, but much better than it was even just a few days ago.

So my question is what have you been using and could it have possibly stretched out the clamps slightly resulting in your noted wobble?

The only things I've ever had in my Mavic controller are a bare iPhone 6 plus and the MavMount. The iPhone is still quite snug in there, but it does not have rotational forces being applied as it is not supporting an iPad.

I found that my Mavmount had some play front to back, so all I did was snap a wide rubberband around the bottom of the arms and that pretty much took care of it. I guess nothing is perfect.

Reactions: ACR
Andrew, thank you for posting this. I too received my mavmount yesterday and was playing with it this morning. I echo your comments about the overall quality of this device. It is absolutely top-notch! But......... Like you, I immediately noticed the "wobble" with an iPad mini. At first, I thought I didn't have it inserted properly or the arms fully closed on it but after trying several times, the problem is there. There's no getting away from it. Is it a deal killer? I don't think so but I have to admit that I am a little disappointed that this wasn't addressed in the original design. I think it could've been dealt with very easily by adding a small tab to the design that fit into the cut out on the controller to clear the lightning or mini USB connector when the arms folded. Depending on how it feels when actually flying with it, I may address this myself by drilling and tapping a small machine screw along the edge that will insert into that slot and stabilize it.

I will be taking the mavmount out this afternoon to fly using an iPad mini. I will withhold final judgment until that flight. I will say now though that using a larger tablet like my iPad Pro is out of the question, it's just too heavy. In test fitting it on the bench, the wobble is amplified by the size and unacceptable.

Reactions: ACR
The mounting plate seems too thin. That is indeed a bummer. Because that is the most aesthetically pleasing model to date

I ended up putting 2 thin strips of Gorilla tape along the top edge and that fixed it, and that stuff is strong. The need to make the top edge a bit thicker.

I have to wonder why they didn't catch this in R&D. I was going to recommend the same fix, glad it works. Since my Mavic is still nowhere to be seen (thanks Best Buy), I've been using the mavmount as an iPad holder for the workspace desk.

Has anyone contacted the company to notify them of the issue?

Reactions: RobP62
I have to wonder why they didn't catch this in R&D. I was going to recommend the same fix, glad it works. Since my Mavic is still nowhere to be seen (thanks Best Buy), I've been using the mavmount as an iPad holder for the workspace desk.

Has anyone contacted the company to notify them of the issue?
I think he is on the forum.

Hey guys... let me say first, i love all the ingenuity I get reflected back to me from the forums. you guys are great.

I used my prototypes for weeks and weeks on shoots, hobby flying, all sorts of stuff, and while i some play with the heaviest tablet possible (ipad air, hoodman) it didn't bother me because i don't rock the controller back and forth like that when flying... i'm pretty still.

That being said, I think I might have an idea for an add-on for those flying with beast setups. Back to solidworks.

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing, If anyone has this issue I'll mention that possible reason first. I can see how the foam inserts in the clamp might get "squished" by a thick phone.

I ended up putting 2 thin strips of Gorilla tape along the top edge and that fixed it, and that stuff is strong. The need to make the top edge a bit thicker.

Killer idea. I had one guy, a machinist tinkerer, glue two washers to the base to bridge the gap to the tabs on the controller than can serve as a shelf of sorts. Every few days it seems I have some really resourceful guy hit me up with a cool idea or way they took my original idea and ran with it. The drone community is the best.

I'll see how I might improve this.

Reactions: RobP62 and ACR
I have sent him an email.
Thanks jesse, already here :)

Really appreciate your help though. Only way I can try to get better.

Reactions: RobP62

Yes, I have the same problem. I notified William Jason about this. You should too!
I put some 1/8" spacers underneath to stop some of the wobble, now I noticed it is starting
to slide out of the RC. Thinking about putting some shims on that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25