DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My HOMEPOINT position (H) in DJI Go app shows me in wrong place, normal ?

This is why your App lady tells you 'Your home position has been recorded, please check it on the map' as a prompt to verify you are happy with the recorded point and its accuracy, its one of the last checks I do before departing, if its wrong, or inaccurate then a loss is a very likely outcome. The real important bit is that the drone is shown in the right place on the map as that's where he is going if he gets separated from your controller. You position is largely irrelevant, unless you use dynamic home position (If you're a moving target, boats and the like).

But it has been discussed before that basically that HOME POSITION which appears on the MAP can be in contradiction with the real HOME POSITION as recorded by the AIRCRAFT...And that in this case the valid one would be the one recorded by the aircraft GPS (that's when msinger suggested that i check the GPS coordonates of my flight via .CSV file which showed relevant HOME POSITION contrary to the information shown on the MAP...

So this tend to validate the fact that that position shown on the MAP can be ignored no ?

Don't forget, you can manually record a new home position in the app if you are not happy with the one captured, ultimately that is where your MP is going to go if a RTN event occurs. Its worth checking its OK before you fly off. Just record it while it hovers and acquires the image of the take off point that it will use to precision land later (Rapid flashing green 'tail light')

yes but if the precision of the MAP shown on the DJI GO APP has been proved wrong and innacurate, is it still a good thing to rely on that same MAP to "manually record a new HOME POSITION"...i would tend to think that this manually recorded position could then be in fact used in place of the "correct HOMEPOINT previously recorded by the aircraft GPS" and send the MAVIC to the wrong place in case a RTH is initiated.

In any case i will do a few RTH tests to assess exactly what is what...Also i am in Hong Kong but, as suggested by 4WD and Rflush i will check tommorrow if that "calibrate for mainland CHINA" was indeed ON or OFF.

Thank you for your long and intersting input ;)

But it has been discussed before that basically that HOME POSITION which appears on the MAP can be in contradiction with the real HOME POSITION as recorded by the AIRCRAFT...And that in this case the valid one would be the one recorded by the aircraft GPS (that's when msinger suggested that i check the GPS coordonates of my flight via .CSV file which showed relevant HOME POSITION contrary to the information shown on the MAP...

So this tend to validate the fact that that position shown on the MAP can be ignored no ?

yes but if the precision of the MAP shown on the DJI GO APP has been proved wrong and innacurate, is it still a good thing to rely on that same MAP to "manually record a new HOME POSITION"...i would tend to think that this manually recorded position could then be in fact used in place of the "correct HOMEPOINT previously recorded by the aircraft GPS" and send the MAVIC to the wrong place in case a RTH is initiated.

In any case i will do a few RTH tests to assess exactly what is what...Also i am in Hong Kong but, as suggested by 4WD and Rflush i will check tommorrow if that "calibrate for mainland CHINA" was indeed ON or OFF.

Thank you for your long and intersting input ;)

Morning guys. I think I'm with Kony here: is it still a good thing to rely on that same MAP to "manually record a new HOME POSITION"

Definitely not! I've just looked at my Garmin GLO and confirmed that the L/L it delivers is to the 4th decimal place the same as the L/L embedded in the flight log CSV (though I can't see the L/L in the straight text decode only when extracted as CSV - is that right?

I guess DJI is a Chinese firm but remain unclear what they think the mapping issue is. GPS navigates just fine through China. Google Maps navigates cars just fine round HK. Time to test those 2 slider controls....

Cheers, Andy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos