DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NanoSync Antenna for DJI Mavic Coming Soon

Antenna (the one you linked is also fine, same type):
Amazon.com: 2017 REXUAV - DJI, 3DR Solo 2.4GHz CP Long Range Antenna V4: Computers & Accessories

Male RP-SMA to male SMA (I just switched to these and still testing to verify if signal is as good as without the 90 degree bend):
Amazon.com: Areyourshop 1x Adapter RP-SMA Male Jack To SMA Male Plug 90¡ã Connector Right Angle Gold-Plat: Home Audio & Theater

Sunhams amplifiers, you can use 1 amp for TX only (left side) or 2 amps to also amplify the RX (right side):
Amazon.com: LEZHISNUG SUNHANS eSunRC 3000mW 2.4Ghz 35dBm WiFi Signal Booster: Computers & Accessories

Battery pack:
Any dual USB battery pack will work that delivers 2A for transmitter side (left side of controller). The receive side needs very little power and 1A should do. There is also the option of using a small 12V battery as another member is using. I haven't tried 12V to see if amps are more effective. The amps can take power input of 5V - 16V at 2A. They come with several connection cables for different connection options.

Edit:
Here's the 12V pack that was recommended by another forum member that connects to amps:
12V DUAL LEAD BATTERY 3000MAH WITH CHARGER FREE 2-3 DAY SHIPPING

Cheaper amp option with 4W:
Amazon.com: Wifi Signal Booster 2.4Ghz 4W 802.11 Signal Extender Wifi Repeater Broadband Amplifiers for Wireless Router, with 5dBi antenna: Computers & Accessories

Ok, please don't use the SMA adapters I put in that list. Terrible performance with those. Here are the connectors that I used prior which worked great for performance, but a bit bulky with amps sticking straight out to the antenna:

Amazon.com: 2pcs Adapter RP-SMA male jack to SMA male plug RF connector straight gold plating: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: RF Adapter SMA Male to SMA Male Plug Right Angle gold plant: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: DHT Electronics RF coaxial coax adapter RP-SMA male to SMA female right angle: Computers & Accessories

Reactions: Mr Spock
Ok, please don't use the SMA adapters I put in that list. Terrible performance with those. Here are the connectors that I used prior which worked great for performance, but a bit bulky with amps sticking straight out to the antenna:

Amazon.com: 2pcs Adapter RP-SMA male jack to SMA male plug RF connector straight gold plating: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: RF Adapter SMA Male to SMA Male Plug Right Angle gold plant: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: DHT Electronics RF coaxial coax adapter RP-SMA male to SMA female right angle: Computers & Accessories

It is funny indeed to see how much the wrong cable or adaptor can mess with the signal! Man, my ordered antenna is stuck in Italy somewhere since Friday, the status won't update..being impatient, i hate waiting.

I have now ordered all the components including the recommended SMA adapters for best performance. Do you have a picture of your old setup with the straight connectors from controller to amplifier? Just curious on how much "bulkyness" the straight SMA adapters are adding in comparison to the 90 degree poor performance adapters in your pictures in this thread,

I have now ordered all the components including the recommended SMA adapters for best performance. Do you have a picture of your old setup with the straight connectors from controller to amplifier? Just curious on how much "bulkyness" the straight SMA adapters are adding in comparison to the 90 degree poor performance adapters in your pictures in this thread,

IMG_20170503_162311.jpg

I put the elbows before the amps. I think the new orientation I used caused some interference off the elbow after the amp. I don't particularly like the configuration above, but performance is good. Another option is to use cables and have a mounting bracket like nanosync antenna.

View attachment 12507

I put the elbows before the amps. I think the new orientation I used caused some interference off the elbow after the amp. I don't particularly like the configuration above, but performance is good. Another option is to use cables and have a mounting bracket like nanosync antenna.
As soon as i receive my set (if it ever leaves italian soil) i will post my findings, compared to nanosync, and mounting on a bracket.
Would it not be great to make the antenna in such a way that you can actually "slide" the arrays in and out? Say sliding out reaching 40 cm distance hart to hart. That would def contribute to a better system. If this setup works for me i will order 2 seperate "boobs" and try to produce such a system.

Make sure you position the amps like this so that they are angled the same as the elbows. This gives extra shielding between elbows and the sma connectors on the antenna. I believe those angles at the elbow emit some emi, which is why I had issues with the vertical positioned amps.

IMG_20170509_132410.jpg

I had great performance today after reverting back to this configuration. Didn't have any interference or choppy video flying over Foothills 20,000 feet away.

Last edited:
Could you explain in more detail? There was a length of cable included with the antenna which I'm not using. Perhaps this is the wave trap section you are speaking of? Isn't SWR simply a function of cable length? Anyway, most people are getting the fpvlr one which I've also recommended, but I did see that a customization request was made to FPVLR change the fixed cable to a direct sma connector on the antenna. Wouldn't that make it the same as RexUAV? I guess this is mistake to do that.

I've got a question for you CyberNate. I was wondering, can I use 2 of these signal boosters, one for each antenna side with the NanoSync Antenna from MAXXUAV? I was also wondering will this 12 volt dual lead charger work with the signal boosters?

I've got a question for you CyberNate. I was wondering, can I use 2 of these signal boosters, one for each antenna side with the NanoSync Antenna from MAXXUAV? I was also wondering will this 12 volt dual lead charger work with the signal boosters?

I'm not the right person to answer that. I don't have a Nanosync. I would expect benefit amplifying the transmit side of the controller, but not sure how much you'll get amplifying the receiver. Could introduce more interference. Better check with others that have Nanosync or perhaps check with the manufacturer.

Reactions: cipherpunk
Yes on boosting the Nanosync but do not expect miracles (especially on the RX side)
The Battery should also work.
Which side is which, RX and TX? If you have the controller in your hand, and you're using it.

The ItElite NanoSync is now available for Pre-Order! For a limited time, we are offering 50% off of our installation service ($64.50 Savings!) Estimated ship date is March 17th! NanoSync Antenna (For the DJI Mavic) PRE-ORDER

I want to know more about this product. Is this a unidirectional design? Do I have to be "pointing" the rectangular antenna towards the general direction of the drone? Does it help with transmission and reception in areas (rural) where signal is congested (i.e. Help cut through the noise)?

ultimate setup for portability AND maximized range.

I also have those antenna in your picture, the fpvlr yagi type. I ran those with sunhams amps and they don't come close to what I get with the circular polarized type. I'm not sure I'll buying your statement on performance testing. I have yet to reach the limit. I've gone nearly 35000 ft out in silicon valley and I will go over 40,000 with more battery. So you're saying the fpvlr should go over 75,000 ft as it has up to 50% more range? I don't believe it.

I think you work for fpvlr. That's fine, as I have no invested interest in either, other than I own this one.

I want to know more about this product. Is this a unidirectional design? Do I have to be "pointing" the rectangular antenna towards the general direction of the drone? Does it help with transmission and reception in areas (rural) where signal is congested (i.e. Help cut through the noise)?
I can only speak from my experience. Yes, to get the best out of the Nanosync you need to point it at the Mavic. As far as performance in congested ares goes is a big disappointment for the price. My experience is that it is even more susceptible to interference than stock. I'm suffering buyers remorse and looking at other options now.

@Shannon
Yes, moverio is the way to go!!
@cipherpunk
When using the controller, Left is tx.

I received my fpvlr boob-antenna today.
Was only able to do some flying from the garden between the rainshowers.
Used some decent cables that came with the antenna. I can go only 1 direction here where LoS is lost due to hill after 500m when at 100m altitude (the hill is at least 20m higher 100m from me, also lots of trees and houses on top) I was able to reach max distance here of 1.2km with.....the boosted NANOSYNC!!
The FPVLR gave me boosted and unboosted the same range of 1km. (Still ok if considered the signal screwed up by this hill).

Edit: the signal refered to is the tx signal. The hd signal remained pretty equal in all cases even the one described below.

At one stage i was using an angled adaptor to get the cabling right and this cut the signal to half! Took it off immediately.
Weather permitting i will do some more flying in an open field tomorrow.

Below the boob-setup
IMG-20170511-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:
@Shannon
Yes, moverio is the way to go!!
@cipherpunk
When using the controller, Left is tx.

I received my fpvlr boob-antenna today.
Was only able to do some flying from the garden between the rainshowers.
Used some decent cables that came with the antenna. I can go only 1 direction here where LoS is lost due to hill after 500m when at 100m altitude (the hill is at least 20m higher 100m from me, also lots of trees and houses on top) I was able to reach max distance here of 1.2km with.....the boosted NANOSYNC!!
The FPVLR gave me boosted and unboosted the same range of 1km. (Still ok if considered the signal screwed up by this hill).

Edit: the signal refered to is the tx signal. The hd signal remained pretty equal in all cases even the one described below.

At one stage i was using an angled adaptor to get the cabling right and this cut the signal to half! Took it off immediately.
Weather permitting i will do some more flying in an open field tomorrow.

Below the boob-setup
View attachment 12652

You are only getting 1km with nothing blocking LOS to the drone? That's ridiculously poor reception You MUST have objects between you and the Mavic that are blocking LOS. I can get more than that distance with buildings and trees in my path in wifi congested areas. Boosting does help, but it won't work miracles if there are obstructions between you and the craft.

Reactions: wboyce
You are only getting 1km with nothing blocking LOS to the drone? That's ridiculously poor reception You MUST have objects between you and the Mavic that are blocking LOS. I can get more than that distance with buildings and trees in my path in wifi congested areas. Boosting does help, but it won't work miracles if there are obstructions between you and the craft.

I did read my post again, pretty unambiguous: my LoS is already blocked by a hill after 500m distance. I do not want to go higher than 100m here. That bastard makes it impossible to fly further and because of cb activity i could not goto open field. Flew back in rain once too.
Still nanosync had the best performance.

I did read my post again, pretty unambiguous: my LoS is already blocked by a hill after 500m distance. I do not want to go higher than 100m here. That bastard makes it impossible to fly further and because of cb activity i could not goto open field. Flew back in rain once too.
Still nanosync had the best performance.

You cannot penetrate a hill with any 2.4GHz antenna and booster. The signal needs direct line between. You can penetrate some buildings and trees, but definitely not a hill. I didn't realize this was the range testing you were doing. I assumed you meant the hill was approaching LOS, not completely blocking.

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
Yes fully blocked, still was getting a signal though, prob due refraction/reflection.
I actually did these flights to see if the connections were solid. As posted i also tried one of them elbow adaptors cause i did not want to stress the cables too much. This made my tx signal drop to 2 bars while i could still see the mavic against the white clouds, imagine.

Yes fully blocked, still was getting a signal though, prob due refraction/reflection.
I actually did these flights to see if the connections were solid. As posted i also tried one of them elbow adaptors cause i did not want to stress the cables too much. This made my tx signal drop to 2 bars while i could still see the mavic against the white clouds, imagine.

If you are relying on reflected signal you don't want circular polarizing antenna. Linear is better in that regard. Circular is better for penetration and less interference, but doesn't reflect well.

72962197d3f7282cc97d168ef3e1b19f.jpg

this and the carbon fibre props just arrived, tested the props, not much differences in stability, but I do get better acceleration

Reactions: Natedoggz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre