DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Platinum Props Tested

Again placebo effect is likely if its not a controlled or blind test. They'll sound quieter if people want them to regardless of any actual difference and thats the problem.
Ideally you need data from a controlled test with a properly calibrated measuring device or if that isnt possible second choice is a repeated blind test to give perception.

Reactions: gow7
If you're flying your Mavic in locations where decibels are an issue, I think you should ask yourself if you should be flying there in the first place. I'm in no way and have never been part of the 'drone police' on this or any of the respected threads, but the laws are setup to not only protect the public buy also us as responsible pilots. If you are flying your UAV in populated areas where noise would be an issue, you should already have permission to do so therefore why do you need props that are more quiet?

Well I see good results with stock battery, but loaded down with 550 grams of extra battery, not so good. The pitch is a bit too aggressive for heavy load. I was flying at 34 mph. I'll try dropping to 30ish. I see the battery drop faster with heavy load than I do with regular props. I would also be careful with sport mode. I had the aircraft go into landing mode flying sport mode (stock battery configuration) into the wind when battery was around 23%. That doesn't happen normally for me. The extra pitch/lift gives lower rpm, but that also means a bit higher drag, like a taller gear. The voltage will sag a bit more if you push it hard which is why the landing mode was triggered for me.

Anyway still testing. A slight adjustment in the flight speed may be all I need to make these propellers work better for heavy loads.
When running the power system hard, something limits output and the Mavic loses yaw control. It will still stay level and climb, just spins. Not sure what it is yet, but I picked up a pile of parts to test on including a flight control esc board.

Do you know if there's any motor data out there for the Mavic?

did a comparison video on noise level (for reference only). noticeable to human ears of not, you can decide for yourself.

That's a really noticeable difference. What are your hover rpms with each?

If you're flying your Mavic in locations where decibels are an issue, I think you should ask yourself if you should be flying there in the first place. I'm in no way and have never been part of the 'drone police' on this or any of the respected threads, but the laws are setup to not only protect the public buy also us as responsible pilots. If you are flying your UAV in populated areas where noise would be an issue, you should already have permission to do so therefore why do you need props that are more quiet?

You may be right for a very small percentage of drone flyers but some of us live in built up areas and the best time to fly is in the morning when no one is about. And a lot of our parks have houses surrounding them and at this time of the morning there is very little noise (cars,etc) which makes the Mavic sound even loader. Quieter props would be a good thing don’t you think?

Alan

Last edited:
510-520 on plat props, 570-580 on original. probably why i was able to get longer flight time.

Yes, on stock Mavic it's much better. On heavily loaded Mavic not so good. Simply too aggressive for heavy weight. I'll try a couple more flights at different speeds. I may even try putting the old props on rear with new ones on front. The rear ones work harder for forward flight.

Yes, on stock Mavic it's much better. On heavily loaded Mavic not so good. Simply too aggressive for heavy weight. I'll try a couple more flights at different speeds. I may even try putting the old props on rear with new ones on front. The rear ones work harder for forward flight.
Try shifting the batteries forward to get the front/rear rpms closer together. I think my rears run 750-1000 faster than the fronts. What are you seeing?

Try shifting the batteries forward to get the front/rear rpms closer together. I think my rears run 750-1000 faster than the fronts. What are you seeing?

I already shift batteries forward a bit. I see similar to you. Just touching the motors after flight you can feel the rears are hotter. Today I will try flying slower. I have tilt at 27. Going back to stock which is 25.

The firmware story has to be the biggest joke I have heard out of DJI. It has to be a ploy to get you to update. How does the firmware know what props you are running(old or new)? The computer makes automatic adjustments based on many different factors that can be different every time you fly.

Reactions: bas4241
The firmware story has to be the biggest joke I have heard out of DJI. It has to be a ploy to get you to update. How does the firmware know what props you are running(old or new)? The computer makes automatic adjustments based on many different factors that can be different every time you fly.
Though the tone of the props, along with early tests from those who have them already, suggest that the new props bite harder. So motors at lower speed for the same lift, but heavier load. So it's certainly POSSIBLE that there could be some conditions where the load would reach a limit that the old firmware considered to be an anomaly. As for how it would know which blades it has, I would think it could be determined by sensing the load on the initial spin-ups. If so, it's also possible that the newer firmware is able to adjust for mix-matching old vs. new props.

Though the tone of the props, along with early tests from those who have them already, suggest that the new props bite harder. So motors at lower speed for the same lift, but heavier load. So it's certainly POSSIBLE that there could be some conditions where the load would reach a limit that the old firmware considered to be an anomaly. As for how it would know which blades it has, I would think it could be determined by sensing the load on the initial spin-ups. If so, it's also possible that the newer firmware is able to adjust for mix-matching old vs. new props.
Not trying to argue with you here and I see your point.. but do you think a gust of wind, head, cross, tail, down draft, up draft would be less or more than the small difference in pitch of the new blades?

Not trying to argue with you here and I see your point.. but do you think a gust of wind, head, cross, tail, down draft, up draft would be less or more than the small difference in pitch of the new blades?
That's why I said under certain conditions. People have had motor current errors. There are limits that are exceeded to cause these, and whatever the value is under a high stress condition with the standard prop, is probably going to be even higher with the newer props. It seems perfectly plausible to me that the firmware would want to take the characteristics of different props into account.

It knows what behaviour to expect from specific RPM changes to each motor. If it doesn't get the behaviour it can assume something is wrong (damaged prop, strong wind etc etc). It can also be less efficient in that it cant predict behaviour as well, it tries to do something with the programmed desired amount, it gets a different reaction, it then has to fine tune and so on. The result is a far less efficient flight even if it doesn't error.

Its completely plausible a new firmware update containing a new look up table is needed so it can detect the platinum props as normal and run more efficiently.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078