DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Spektrum RID module released

15PSI

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just announced today. Spektrum releases an RID module for $70. Powered through a receiver or a voltage source between 3.3V and 9V.

Here is the announcement:

Looks like a good value if and when someone develops a lightweight power source for utilization in commercially available drones.

Power supply?

Reactions: mavin
I Knew it would be around this time when all the RC companies would start introducing modules.
With just a few connectors you could power it with even a small Lipo

Reactions: LoudThunder
The self contained units are still a better choice unless you have a easiliy accessable power tap. Which the Mavics do not have.
I agree. I've been waiting for Spektrum to release THIS module for my fixed wing RC planes where a power source is not an issue.

I'm waiting for something self contained for the drones.

The self contained units are still a better choice unless you have a easiliy accessable power tap. Which the Mavics do not have.
While I like the size of the Spketrum unit, the battery and the mount for the battery would be much larger.

Looks like a nice unit similar to DroneTag. I bought a BS model when they were on sale for les than this- it’s a bare board - but it works very well. I added a small Lipo to power it, and having a 3D printer I can make my own case. These little units work very well, and users should be happy with either brand.

One thing to note about the Spektrum - Their ad has an omission- per FAA- (EDIT: for 107 Registrants) you are not supposed to transfer the same unit between UAS models once you register it, so users would need to buy more than one if they fly different models.

Last edited:
you are not supposed to transfer the same unit between UAS models once you register it, so users would need to buy more than one if they fly different models.
I’m thinking this isn’t correct information. Below is directly from FAA website.

This will permit you to move the module from one non-Standard Remote ID drone to another so long as each of the drones make/model are listed within the same inventory.

I’m thinking this isn’t correct information. Below is directly from FAA website.

This will permit you to move the module from one non-Standard Remote ID drone to another so long as each of the drones make/model are listed within the same inventory.
Both of us are partly right, recreational pilots can use the same unit for each aircraft they own - But the same FAA doc states that Part 107 pilots can only use one unit per registered aircraft and cannot swap them:

Registering Drones​

Recreational drone pilots may register once and apply their registration number to all the devices listed within their inventory. During registration, you must list the serial number(s) of each Standard Remote ID drone and/or the Remote ID broadcast module. If you use a Remote ID broadcast module, the Remote ID serial number attached to the module must be listed for each non-Standard Remote ID drone you add to your inventory. This will permit you to move the module from one non-Standard Remote ID drone to another so long as each of the drones make/model are listed within the same inventory.

This is not the case for Part 107 pilots who must register each individual device (Standard Remote ID drone or Remote ID broadcast module) separately within their inventory and each device will get a unique registration number.

Last edited:
I’ve flown these flying cameras a few years now. The 107 requirements are much more restrictive(courtesy of the FAA)than I care to contend with as I look at all this as recreational and just hobby time. When the restrictions get to be too much of a chore, I’ll go back to RC boats. If I can satisfy the L.E. community for less than a 100.00 nip of the wallet, I’ll hang around a bit longer.

I’ve flown these flying cameras a few years now. The 107 requirements are much more restrictive(courtesy of the FAA)than I care to contend with as I look at all this as recreational and just hobby time. When the restrictions get to be too much of a chore, I’ll go back to RC boats. If I can satisfy the L.E. community for less than a 100.00 nip of the wallet, I’ll hang around a bit longer.
RC boats are next- look what Ukraine is doing with them! 😉

• Wow
Probably a boat that you and I paid for!

Their UFV's (unmanned floating vessels?) are quite sophisticated, and they were probably Ukrainian-designed as well. Some can travel hundreds of miles across open water. The US Navy is interested in drone boats like those as well. And as there are clubs and other groups of people racing autonomous sailing drones across oceans and even around the world, I'm sure such boats will face some sort of RID-type requirements in the future. It's probably also going to be happening to intercontinental amateur radio pico balloons, especially after that one got shot down in Canada last year.

There are some really savvy engineers in Eastern Europe - look at what the one guy in Ukraine did with figuring out how to reset dead and bricked Mavic batteries using code so that people could replace the cells in them, and what DroneTag has accomplished. I traveled through there a long time ago, and it is tragic what is happening there today to such a beautiful country and to such truly wonderful people.

Last edited:
While I like the size of the Spketrum unit, the battery and the mount for the battery would be much larger.
the batteries required for these units are tiny - a 60mAh 3.7v rechargeable LiPo battery with a size of about 4 x 12 x 15mm can power a DroneTag BS module for about 4.5 hours, I'd think the Spektrum would have similar results. And as for the mount, 3M velcro stick on pads are all you will need.

Watch the recently released video from Pilot Institute. Good comparison/reviews of all currently available RID modules with pricing and range tests as well.

Which the Mavics do not have.
I do not have any knowledge on the subject, but if you wired a USB-C cable up, could you tap into the drones on-board battery? Or is there circuitry on board the drone that prevents two way electric flow?

Reactions: Starz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne