DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Pilot from San Diego!

TomDiego

Reactions
I just ordered my first drone, a Mavic Air 2 (with the Fly More combo), earlier today. It's already shipped and should arrive tomorrow. Very excited to learn how to fly these things and for all of the photography and videography capabilities. I've already registered with the FAA and gotten my UAS Certificate Number and made a label to put on the MA2 when it arrives.

I've read of reviews and watched lots of YouTube videos on the MA2. Some of these video recommend various accessories so I'm interested in getting feedback on which accessories are advisable.

- Landing pad. WireCutter recommends the Hoodman landing pad, but it's $60! Apparently some of the less expensive Chinese versions are only about $20 but aren't really waterproof, which doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I think that I understand a few reasons why this would be desirable, but is it really necessary? How many of you use one?
- Leg extensions. One video reviewer that I watched has owned a bunch of Mavic drones and said that because of their low height, leg extensions are recommended, particularly for long grass/rocks. But wouldn't the landing pad would make this unnecessary? Yes or no?
- Drone labels. One vblogger recommended some printed FAA labels from Amazon. The set includes your FAA certification number, your phone number, and another label with the link to the reclaimdrone.com website, where I've already registered. I've got a Dymo labelmaker, but these looked really nice and they're relatively inexpensive. Opinions?
- Any other recommendations for accessories or "must-haves"?

Hey there Tom, I am also a semi newbie so welcome to the world of Drones! I have the Tello, Mavic Mini and the Air 2. And have been flying them for about 2 months.

Honestly I don't see the need for the landing gear extensions on the air 2 as the front where the camera is is pretty well elevated unlike in the Mavic Mini where it almost hits the ground.

The Landing pad is really only for launching/landing in grass so the "quality" of them isn't so much of an issue so long as they simply stay put and hold the grass down so you can land/launch. There is zero chance I would ever pay 60 bucks for one. I don't have one at all, I just hand launch and catch when I don't have a solid place to land. Most of the time you can launch off a rock or something but then hand catch to be safe.

The labels would be purely your option. I mean you have a label maker so save a few bucks there.

One thing you didn't mention and that I found very few videos about is a bag for the Air 2. The satchel or "murse" that the fly more combo gives you is in my opinion good quality but far to cramped. Everything just barely fits in it and I do mean BARELY! I ended up buying the Lowepro BP200 backpack for it and it works absolutely perfectly. It's labeled for the Mavic Pro but it fits just fine as well as the controller and batteries and every accessory you could need and it supports a camelback bladder!

Other than that I don't have much in terms of accessories for the Air 2 except prop holders which really help with ensuring they don't get messed up so long as you get ones that don't put much pressure on them. (You mainly want them for the bottom props as they are the ones that get in the way of storing them most times.

Feel free to hit me up on here though with any other questions or issues and congrats on the new drone!!!

Hi TomDiego welcome to Mavic Pilot.
I don't have an Air 2 so can’t comment on leg extensions but I would say get a landing pads, great in the grass & stops dust on hard ground.
My labels are made with my Dymo.

New flyer advice.
Wide open space.
Slow & easy.
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't forget to read the manual ;) you can download HERE

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. Also, the search function (magnifying glass icon upper right) is a great way to find answers to many of the questions a "newbie" will have. We were all "newbies" at one point.

Welcome to the forum. You will find all sorts of helpful advice and support. We look forward to seeing your view of the world.

Thanks for all the welcomes and replies!

The MA2 arrived today and I had everything set up and was in the air in my backyard within about an hour. I pretty much just took it up to just above the large palm tree in the backyard, moved around a bit, took a few pictures in different directions, took some pictures of the tree, back deck, the pool, and then landed it. It takes a leap of faith to watch that thing fly away from you and get higher!

I'm going to get all the batteries charged up and take it up again later in the afternoon.

Welcome to you from the friendly skies of Texas!

Where are you in SD? Lived in San Diego 25 years (92128). Miss the beaches and the weather, but not the crowds, traffic, or prices! The MA2 is a good choice . Glad you got the FlyMore pack. Trust me, you''ll need those 3 batts! Be sure to download and read the manual! Be sure you practice using the “Find My Drone” App. Chances are you’ll crash, and perhaps lose your MA2. Just be sure you know how to retrieve it before you need to.

As to accessories--I bought a WrapGrade skin, and added aftermarket labels in silver, which sort of matches the silver trim on my M2P. A cheap landing pad is adequate, as is Dymo labeling. I also have LG extenders, because I often choose to land away from Homepoint. If you always land on your landing pad (trust me, you won't) the gear extenders will help protect your camera and props from damage.

Lots of fellow San Diegans, and over 100,000 more of us from around the world are here to help as you gain skill as a pilot and photographer. Ask for help when you need it, share your work when you can.

Glad to have you with us!

Attachments

• Starship M Port Side View.JPG
    Starship M Port Side View.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 3
Welcome to you from the friendly skies of Texas!

Where are you in SD? Lived in San Diego 25 years (92128). Miss the beaches and the weather, but not the crowds, traffic, or prices! The MA2 is a good choice . Glad you got the FlyMore pack. Trust me, you''ll need those 3 batts! Be sure to download and read the manual! Be sure you practice using the “Find My Drone” App. Chances are you’ll crash, and perhaps lose your MA2. Just be sure you know how to retrieve it before you need to.

As to accessories--I bought a WrapGrade skin, and added aftermarket labels in silver, which sort of matches the silver trim on my M2P. A cheap landing pad is adequate, as is Dymo labeling. I also have LG extenders, because I often choose to land away from Homepoint. If you always land on your landing pad (trust me, you won't) the gear extenders will help protect your camera and props from damage.

Lots of fellow San Diegans, and over 100,000 more of us from around the world are here to help as you gain skill as a pilot and photographer. Ask for help when you need it, share your work when you can.

Glad to have you with us!

Thanks for the advice! I live in Rancho Penasquitos, south of the 56 between Black Mountain Road and the 15. I have a 1 acre property, so I'll getting my "air legs" in my backyard for now. I've read about the advantage of getting a skin or partial skin, which can make the drone easier to see in the sky. I ended up ordering one of the $20 landing pads.

Reactions: Hauptmann
One thing you didn't mention and that I found very few videos about is a bag for the Air 2. The satchel or "murse" that the fly more combo gives you is in my opinion good quality but far to cramped. Everything just barely fits in it and I do mean BARELY! I ended up buying the Lowepro BP200 backpack for it and it works absolutely perfectly. It's labeled for the Mavic Pro but it fits just fine as well as the controller and batteries and every accessory you could need and it supports a camelback bladder!

Other than that I don't have much in terms of accessories for the Air 2 except prop holders which really help with ensuring they don't get messed up so long as you get ones that don't put much pressure on them. (You mainly want them for the bottom props as they are the ones that get in the way of storing them most times.

Ok, now that I've got the MA2 Fly More Combo, that bag is definitely tight! I've seen good reviews of the LowePro DroneGuard BP 250 which may have replace the DroneGuard BP 200, because the BP 200 isn't currently available on Amazon. I have a backpack for my DSLR equipment so that may be the way to go. My BiL has hard cases for his drones and I can see where that would be a good option if you're just driving to your flying location rather than driving and then hiking.

I ended up getting a set of prop holders as it seemed like a good idea.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard