DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone died while flying

I don't know the specs of the batteries lol. I just know from first hand experience the two iPhone 6s's I had sucked, and the 7 I have now works fine.
Fair enough I got access to 7 and 7 plus so will compare at the weekend

I have to keep an eye on the controller battery, after 4 or 5 batteries I normally plug in the controller to a powerbank via the side USB port as it gets low.
Are you saying your iPhone battery capacity outruns the controller when flying??

Are you saying your iPhone battery capacity outruns the controller when flying??
No, I fly with an iPad Air2 and its battery is good for 7 Mavic batteries, but the controller battery isn't, so after 4 or 5 batteries I plug in a powerbank to boost up the controller.

Needless to say me and the Apple "Geniuses" are going to have words $799 phone with $200 Apple care plus I bought my mavic from them. Better give me a replacement phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needless to say me and the Apple "Geniuses" are going to have words $799 phone with $200 Apple care plus I bought my mavic from them. Better give me a replacement phone.

It's a known issue with the 6S. Not only in relation to Mavic. Do a Google search, some 6S are covered some are not.

- Sport Mode addict, ride the wind!

A few comments here:

1. Using the sticks doesn't cancel RTH but do allow you to alter the flight path to avoid obstacles, etc.

2. I believe that I cancelled RTH by pressing the RTH button on the remote - need to test that out and confirm.

3. iPhone AND iPad both charge from the controller.

4. Get this app to check your battery health/status:
Battery Life: check device's runtimes by Robert Tkotzyk
https://appsto.re/us/zeBBab.i

Last edited:
Reactions: RobP62
It's a known issue with the 6S. Not only in relation to Mavic. Do a Google search, some 6S are covered some are not.

He is correct, they won't give you a "new phone" they'll change the battery for you. I spent a month fighting with apple and guess what i ended up doing, ponying up 800$ and bought a new phone outright. I'm in the process of getting out of apple product too, I've owned every I-phone, tablet, and computer and they use to treat me like gold. Any issues and they'd swap it out. Now I'm treated like crap and I don't like it, and don't need it.

Reactions: rfc0001
He is correct, they won't give you a "new phone" they'll change the battery for you. I spent a month fighting with apple and guess what i ended up doing, ponying up 800$ and bought a new phone outright. I'm in the process of getting out of apple product too, I've owned every I-phone, tablet, and computer and they use to treat me like gold. Any issues and they'd swap it out. Now I'm treated like crap and I don't like it, and don't need it.

Yep! I was far from happy. They would not even do the battery until I did a complete wipe of phone. Had to back up from the cloud which I can not use because of work rules w phone. Was not allow ed to back up to computer for the process they wanted me to do. I said just give me new battery, was told "nope".
Verizon happen robbed having a trade in 6S and get 7 at no charge. So I did that and paid difference to go to Plus. Stilled not happy about the way it all went down.

A few comments here:

1. Using the sticks doesn't cancel RTH but do allow you to alter the flight path to avoid obstacles, etc.

2. I believe that I cancelled RTH by pressing the RTH button on the remote - need to test that out and confirm.

3. iPhone AND iPad both charge from the controller.

4. Get this app to check your battery health/status:
Battery Life: check device's runtimes by Robert Tkotzyk
https://appsto.re/us/zeBBab.i

Regarding 1 - Apparently this doesn't including downward movement, as I had the down controller buried, and it just hovered. If I'm pressing straight down from 5' above the ground (with no obstructions) the Mavic should land IMO. Flying up to 140' when you are 5' from home doesn't make any sense.

Regarding 2 - this is good to know, but unintuitive, as it was already trying to return to home on it's own, which is what I was trying to prevent, so wouldn't have though to click this. My instinct was to force it to land.

Regarding 3 - this is not the case in my experience. If anything, it's the opposite - I've flown for 15 minutes with the remote control still at 100% after the flight.

Anyone else having issues accessing this site on their iPhone? Keep getting a message that says error contact admin.

It did, but I only figured that out through dumb luck. Shouldn't RTH be cancelled if you manually take over the controls? Also, seems like he "smarts" in RTH are cancelled without the app (e.g. Not going to RTH height when less than x feet from home Point). Thanks.

No RTH =RTH
IF
f you could cancel RTH by moving the sticks people would be doing it without knowing. RTH is a safety feature. The rules are in place to be for users of all levels. Many times people press RTH because they lose video feed etc.. they may not even realize that they still have control of the AC. So IMO hitting RTH is a deliberate act. It should take another deliberate act to cancel it.

As far as smart RTH goes I don't think you understand what that is... when SMART RTH is enabled in the go app it calculates your altitude and distance from your recorded home point. When the Mavic calculates that you have reached a point where you need to turn around it automatically returns to home.

Your complaint is with the operator initiated RTH (e.g. You pushed the button) in that scenario you have to understand the operation of your Mavic. Reading the manual, especially as it applies to the various aspects of the RTH function, is critical. So that when something happens you know what action is appropriate. That comes with practicing the emergency situations ahead of time so that you know what to do and what not to do. My experience with Smart RTH has been fantastic. It has engaged probably 15 times on my 200 plus flights. I have never lost a bird or had an emergency landing as a result of the Smart RTH function.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an iPhone 6s and have not had a single problem. Yes the battery runs down but that is solved by charging the phone to full on the way to fly. It's one of my preflight check list options. I usually carry my iPad with me too. If I don't have sufficient charge on my phone or if it were to die while flying.... I would unplug the phone, plug in the tablet, reconnect and keep on flying. I actually connected the iPad and rested it across my forearms to see if it could be done. I have practiced this several times. It's not a big deal. Or ... or... fly it home without the tablet.. again i have done that too. Flew out, lost it visually, disconnected the phone...hit RTH. Watched the telemetry to confirm that it was returning. Hit full forward on the TX and watched the telemetry until I found it again. Landed it. Really isn't difficult.

I'm not trying to be an *** here but when you lose video or the go app it doesn't just drop out of the sky. There are things you can do to return it safely or continue to fly safely without the app and or video. My plan is to plan ahead for these things by practicing as many emergency scenarios as possible. That way you have the best chance of bringing your bird back safely when or if it really happens.

I'm not trying to be an *** here but when you lose video or the go app it doesn't just drop out of the sky. There are things you can do to return it safely or continue to fly safely without the app and or video. My plan is to plan ahead for these things by practicing as many emergency scenarios as possible. That way you have the best chance of bringing your bird back safely when or if it really happens.

Not sure you fully understand. It's pretty annoying when you are taking pics/vids and the phone shuts down for no reason other than it thinks the battery is dead, which it is not.
I guarantee you that if this happened 1 out every 5 flights (generic average I had) you would not continue with the same phone for multiple reasons. Remember it's not a DJI thing. So if you are not near a charger during the day and it powers down you are cut off from all calls and emails until you can get to one. Extremely inconvenient, and really bad timing if you are on a business call or flying a Mavic!

I didn't initiate the RTH. It was a low battery RTH, which normally I could easily cancel, but considering my phone was dead, I didn't not now how to. I now know pressing the RTH button would have cancelled it. For some reason, so did switching it from sports mode to normal mode, which is what ultimately I did. I did read the manual, which is how I knew it wasn't supposed to ascend when RTH is triggered within 16 ft. of home per the manual. Also, even if the Mavic thought it was 16'-66' from home, since the front Vision system was deactivated in Sports mode, it should have immediately landed:
upload_2017-1-28_22-48-5.png
Since I thought I was within 16', I assumed it was malfunctioning when it tried to take off, and given it was literally 5' from me and the ground, wanted to avoid a fly-off. My next step would have been to kill the motors given it was 5' off the ground, so minimal damage. No way was I going to let it fly off given I thought it was acting erratically and my phone was dead, both of which added to my fear of it flying off.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d