DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone died while flying

Tapatalk is free ;). So is the Mavic Pilots iPhone app.

I bought it about 4-6 years ago. Nice it's free now [emoji1360] TapaTalk is better than MP iPhone app if you use more than one forum. Though, I do prefer it to the standalone app as well.

Either way, both options are better regardless of which one chosen IMO. :)

- Sport Mode addict, ride the wind!

Reactions: rfc0001
I bought it about 4-6 years ago. Nice it's free now [emoji1360] TapaTalk is better than MP iPhone app if you use more than one forum. Though, I do prefer it to the standalone app as well.

Either way, both options are better regardless of which one chosen IMO. :)

I think it is anyways. I installed it 9 years ago when iPhone first came out. I think it was free then. Agree better for multiple forums than multiple apps (which are only available for Xenforo forums and even then only if the forum provides one).

ETA: just verified it is free: Tapatalk - 100,000+ Forums Worldwide on the App Store

Not sure you fully understand. It's pretty annoying when you are taking pics/vids and the phone shuts down for no reason other than it thinks the battery is dead, which it is not.
I guarantee you that if this happened 1 out every 5 flights (generic average I had) you would not continue with the same phone for multiple reasons. Remember it's not a DJI thing. So if you are not near a charger during the day and it powers down you are cut off from all calls and emails until you can get to one. Extremely inconvenient, and really bad timing if you are on a business call or flying a Mavic!

Sounds annoying and sounds like the phone needs to be repaired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: HelloNasty1
For me, I have had zero issues with my 6s plus battery draining other than with the Mavic, so I don't think the 6s plus is defective, but do acknowledge this possibility as there is a known issue with some iPhones 6s Plusses. Despite this, I have also seen other reports to of the 6s/6s plus charging the Mavic remote control, which I have personally witnessed several times, since there is no way after flying 15 minutes the remote control is magically still at 100% - which I have personally witnessed several times. So, that alone is a compatibility issue between the 6s Plus and Mavic. Also, I'm not convinced given the significant number of 6s plus battery issues reported with the Mavic, they are all related to defective batteries. In fact, someone in this thread verified their 6s plus was not in the serial number range of defective iPhones, yet had this issue. I haven't checked mine yet to know for sure. I'm waiting to get a consistent repro on this before I take my phone and mavic into the Apple store (And have bigger problems ATM :p). Also note, I was at 100% battery with no other apps running, and iPhone died after ~40 minutes of flight. It popped up said low battery, then died. Not a lot of warning, and I wasn't paying attention since I knew it was 100% to begin with (I always verify visually when I unplug from charger, before charging into remote.).

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I just verified I do not have one of the defective iPhone 6s batteries but this was a good thing to verify first:
iPhone 6s Program for Unexpected Shutdown Issues - Apple Support

This phone is only a few months old, and I've never had battery issues, so didn't think that was it. Since the issue is with the phone, and I also bought the Mavic at the Apple Store (plus it's a certified iPhone accessory), I'm going to take both in and show them the problem and see what the Geniuses come up with ;). I don't expect them to magically fix the issue, and don't really want a new iPhone 6s Plus, as I'm not convinced it is a unique issue to my specific device. I'm going to push for a discounted upgrade to a iPhone 7, which I really don't want or need, but for a couple hundo, I'm game. If they only offer a new 6s Plus, I guess I'll give it a shot, but not holding my breath given the volume of reports, including my own experience. Given my experience with DJI support, I'm not holding my breath there either. They probably figure it's an old model phone at this point, so will just wait it out until the issues go away (by virtue of the phones going away).

I bought an iPad Pro because my iPhone 6+ battery is shocking.
Plus it's a much bigger screen for the DJI Go4 app.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I guess I'm just real lucky. Mine works fine. I'm going to try my shield today to see if I also have one of the shields that works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have both apps and neither have been working ;(

Happened again today, this time I paid close attention to all the #s:
  • Outside temperature: 20 degrees Fahrenheit (which I think is an aggravating factor)
  • iPhone 6s Plus battery before flight: 45%
  • Mavic Controller battery before flight: 100% (was fully charged on charger)
  • Mavic battery before flight: 100% (was fully charged on charger)
  • 20% phone battery warning when Mavic battery was at 20%
  • 0% phone battery (phone died) ~1 minute later Mavic battery was at 15%
  • Mavic Controller after flight: 99%
So, I drained 45% of my iPhone 6s Plus battery in < 15 minutes of flight, and a whopping 20% of iPhone battery in ~1 minute. Also telling is when I plugged in my controller to my phone the phone popped the charging screen saying 45% charged (as if I just plugged it into a charger). The charger indicator was not on, but what I think is happening is plugging the lightning cable in triggers the relay to allow charging off the lightning cable, then the iPhone doesn't sense enough power, so doesn't turn on the indicator that it is being charged, but leaves the conduit between the battery and the lightning cable open, letting power seep backwards into the controller. This is proven by the fact the remote control battery was still at 99% after a 15 minute flight. I've seen similar reports on dji.com. I'm going to head over there and pile on to those issues. The controller and the phone should prevent backflow over the charging cable. It's definitely an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattk0
I figured out when this occurs, and how to work around this issue. As I mentioned, above, when I plug my phone into the controller (notably, after the controller is already powered on), my phone vibrates like it normally would when you plug in the charger. If the screen isn't on when I do this, the battery charging meter is also displayed, which also indicates it's trying to switch to charging mode (which my theory is why it drains the battery, since the conduit for charging is open, allowing power to flow in either direction).

However, when I plug my phone into the controller before powering on the controller, then launch the DJI GO app, then power on the controller after the phone is connected and the DJI GO app is launched I don't get the charge vibrate indicator and the phones doesn't drain. I have tested this several flight with no phone drainage, which validates these observations and theory.

I've gone from the phone losing 45% charge in one flight to 20% (running down Mavic to 8% and with full screen brightness and without Battery Mode turned on). Also, the controller is discharging normally (~15% per flight) versus maintaining 100%, also indicating it isn't being charged by the phone like before. So, after 3 flights, I'm still at 40% phone battery, which for 45 minutes of constant video and full screen brightness isn't terrible (not great, but beats the phone dying). I'm sure this would improve slightly if I turned on Battery Mode to limit background processes which is probably a good idea anyway while flying. I'll try this next time I'm doing 3 flights back to back and see where I end up.

Great follow up and R/D research.

When you plug something into my Samsung S7E it prompts you to select an option for the purpose. One is charging. My battery is just a year old (non replaceable - thanks Samsung - idiots) and I can go all day with light use but with the screen on constantly and me surfing heavily, I'll be down to nothing quick. I would love to use the phone and will for total portability but for all other times, I plan on using my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. The battery in that lasts for days. Weight and bulk? Yer darn tootin'! But no batt issues with it yet. So it will be my go to for long missions.

Just my .02 worth.
Rob

Sent from my SM-G935V using MavicPilots mobile app

Its a common issue Friend. You need a Iphone 7

"But what if I want to listen to Music while im flying my Mavic?. #$rk!"

iPods are practically free these days :) haha.

I heard Apple gives one 5th gen ipod out each year to terminal cancer patient.
The patient has to update itunes though and agree his organs become property
of the Apple Corporation.

Reactions: Squamer
I had the same batterie issues with my iPhone 6! I believe you can pause any automated operation using the pause button on the controller. I could be wrong..

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

When your phone goes dead how much battery does controller have? I thought controller helped keep phone charging. I charge controller while I'm flying through side port bottom port for tablet.

Sent from my VS986 using MavicPilots mobile app

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329