DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Picking up fastfood with mavic pro

Is this fake or not fake?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
One other note. It's not a good idea to duplicate threads here on the forum.
The mods may lock this one.:cool: Then maybe not! I guess it would depend on which thread has the most hits.

Last edited:
Reactions: larryp
I gave you a like on this, though the forum "drone police" are going to have a field with this topic.

Reactions: sonof40
Great fake, you had to have someone at the other end to control the drone (you obviously had to have someone there to record as well) as I am sure the signal would have been severely degraded as you approached the ground. I also think that the Mavic would not fly very well with that weight attached to the bottom, as soon as you start flying (conveniently not shown, only liftoff and descent shown) that weight is going to pull the Mavic around something fierce.

Maybe someone else will fall for this but not me.

I am sure others will comment that I am taking this too seriously or something but I am just commenting as some people on this forum are sure to think this is possible and try for themselves and cause more problems for the hobby.

Reactions: poweruser15
Reactions: lotek
Not a bad compilation. This would get some high marks for a high school film project. Nice 'hood too... Probably explains why I would never have had a 'toy' like this while that young. But good on you guys.

On an aside, I just yesterday posted a semi-serious question about rigging some kind of payload release system on the Mavic. Surely there has to be some way a simple way to release a payload. Imagine the fun of flying a small water balloon up 100' and dropping it...
Not only is that illegal (at least in the US), but it is also dangerous. The Mavic was not designed to lift heavy payloads so I would not attach anything weighing more than 50 or 60 grams to the Mavic. You also have to consider that anything hanging under the Mavic will affect the downward facing sensors. If you still want to take the risks then go ahead but just be aware of the risks and the possible damage to your new Mavic. I would personally find a more suitable drone for the purpose you mention if you want to do it, the Mavic is not a toy even though a lot of people like to think of it as one.

Not only is that illegal (at least in the US), but it is also dangerous. The Mavic was not designed to lift heavy payloads so I would not attach anything weighing more than 50 or 60 grams to the Mavic. You also have to consider that anything hanging under the Mavic will affect the downward facing sensors. If you still want to take the risks then go ahead but just be aware of the risks and the possible damage to your new Mavic. I would personally find a more suitable drone for the purpose you mention if you want to do it, the Mavic is not a toy even though a lot of people like to think of it as one.

Is it really ILLEGAL? The only reference I found to dropping things was FAA 91.15 - but that said so long as precautions are taken to prevent harm/injury it was acceptable.

If you click on the link embedded in my post, you'll see that I addressed the VPS question. I'm really just thinking out loud.

Reactions: TeamDaedalusDrones
Is it really ILLEGAL? The only reference I found to dropping things was FAA 91.15 - but that said so long as precautions are taken to prevent harm/injury it was acceptable.
I am pretty sure that I read a rule saying that dropping items was illegal. I am at an airport right now and about to board a plane so will not be able to do any research for a few hours but if I can find the rule I will link to it.

I think it is mostly dangerous because you cannot really guarantee that the item will drop straight down but that also depends on what you are doing, obviously there could be reasons to do this I just don't think the Mavic is the right drone for it as it was not built for carrying payloads at all. I think you probably want to look at other drones for this purpose, ones that are at least more capable of carrying loads instead of the Mavic which was designed purely for its portability features.

Great fake, you had to have someone at the other end to control the drone (you obviously had to have someone there to record as well) as I am sure the signal would have been severely degraded as you approached the ground. I also think that the Mavic would not fly very well with that weight attached to the bottom, as soon as you start flying (conveniently not shown, only liftoff and descent shown) that weight is going to pull the Mavic around something fierce.

Maybe someone else will fall for this but not me.

I am sure others will comment that I am taking this too seriously or something but I am just commenting as some people on this forum are sure to think this is possible and try for themselves and cause more problems for the hobby.
The mavic can hold around 2 pounds, the bag of food was around 1 pound. I (the pilot) was flying from my house the entire time. I had friends with cameras down their at the store waiting.
*changes we made*
We taped the top of the bag up because the wind kept ripping the bag, we also had a rope holding it about a foot down so we don't have any problems with the bag hitting drone.
I also spead up some of the clips so the video was not dragged out.

Reactions: wes
The mavic can hold around 2 pounds, the bag of food was around 1 pound. I (the pilot) was flying from my house the entire time. I had friends with cameras down their at the store waiting.
*changes we made*
We taped the top of the bag up because the wind kept ripping the bag, we also had a rope holding it about a foot down so we don't have any problems with the bag hitting drone.
I also spead up some of the clips so the video was not dragged out.
I still am not convinced, I have yet to see anyone be able to fly around that densely populated of an area and be able to land and take off without mods to the antenna system and even then it would be sketchy. The minute you drop behind all of the houses your signal will surely be lost. I also don't believe that you can actually fly the Mavic with 2 pounds of weight on the bottom without major issues, especially as you make turns and come to a stop as the weight is going to swing like a pendulum. Being able to lift and being able to fly with the weight are 2 completely different animals.

No real reason to convince me though, for some reason people like to use the Mavic for things it was not designed for, putting your $1000 drone at risk as well as anyone in the flight path. If the bag did rip and fall would you want it to drop on your head? These types of posts just make it worse for our hobby as others think they can do the same thing and it is illegal and dangerous.

Yes there was alot of things that could have gone wrong, but they didn't. At the end of the day i payed the $1k for the drone so im going to push its limits a little bit. Their is a video online showing the mavic easly lifting 2 pounds, go check it out.

I have to agree with Motley. To initiate the take off from that distance is just impossible at ground level. Another thing is that you did not pan the camera down once to prove you flew with the pay load the whole way. That's just my observation.

Reactions: MavicJunky and M4RK
Not a bad compilation. This would get some high marks for a high school film project. Nice 'hood too... Probably explains why I would never have had a 'toy' like this while that young. But good on you guys.

On an aside, I just yesterday posted a semi-serious question about rigging some kind of payload release system on the Mavic. Surely there has to be some way a simple way to release a payload. Imagine the fun of flying a small water balloon up 100' and dropping it...
I could easly make something like that, with some thought and time. I have a 3d printer also so parts wouldnt be a problem

I have to agree with Motley. To initiate the take off from that distance is just impossible at ground level. Another thing is that you did not pan the camera down once to prove you flew with the pay load the whole way. That's just my observation.
I can tell you taking off isnt that bad, at first its shaky but it corrects itself almost instantly. Also landing was a huge problem for some reason. Im guessing because of the sensors thinking its by ground

The Mavic has been tested with 2.2 lbs for lifting, flying with that weight, especially if there is any wind, is another matter, shifting weight with affect the IMU. That being said how far away was the Hardie's? you didn't say. My house is 3000' from my launch point in the park, and descending into my yard I lost video link, with control at one bar due to trees and a couple houses in the way. You had many buildings and trees between you and the landing point so I was thinking the pick up point had to be very close to the control point.

Reactions: Drone Master
I could easly make something like that, with some thought and time. I have a 3d printer also so parts wouldnt be a problem

I was going to move this back over to my thread, but since you're the OP, we'll just discuss here...

It's looking more and more like I need to get me a 3d printer... I just made a mock up using a container lid and some scissors. It's too thin and flimsy to carry any weight. But something along those lines - with maybe a tight v-groove/slit at the far end to hold a knotted string. Then aggressively dropping the rear (full reverse in s-mode) would allow the string to slip clear of the slit.

upload_2017-1-22_14-10-57.png
upload_2017-1-22_14-12-15.png

The Mavic has been tested with 2.2 lbs for lifting, flying with that weight, especially if there is any wind, is another matter, shifting weight with affect the IMU. That being said how far away was the Hardie's? you didn't say. My house is 3000' from my launch point in the park, and descending into my yard I lost video link, with control at one bar due to trees and a couple houses in the way. You had many buildings and trees between you and the landing point so I was thinking the pick up point had to be very close to the control point.
I suppose it could be possible if the home point altitude is at least 100 ft higher than the landing point. It's hard to tell by the terrain he was flying over.

Reactions: Misterdavis
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer