DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro Cinema Series still problematic to gimbal?

Regardless whether it is weight or physical interference (I have studied it a lot and I don't see ANY physical interference so I have a tendency to cast my vote on weight being a factor) I have a solution that is now working for me.

My camera always pauses in the 7 o'clock facing down position when the lens itself has rotated clockwise to the max. It seems to me that it is "stuck" in that rotated position (it feels stuck). If I just barely nudge the lens counterclockwise (when facing the front of the Mavic) the gimbal continues its process and initializes properly. If it stays in that position for more than a second or so, it will give up and report "Gimbal Motor Overloaded" and then won't work after that.

Regardless whether it is weight or physical interference (I have studied it a lot and I don't see ANY physical interference so I have a tendency to cast my vote on weight being a factor) I have a solution that is now working for me.

My camera always pauses in the 7 o'clock facing down position when the lens itself has rotated clockwise to the max. It seems to me that it is "stuck" in that rotated position (it feels stuck). If I just barely nudge the lens counterclockwise (when facing the front of the Mavic) the gimbal continues its process and initializes properly. If it stays in that position for more than a second or so, it will give up and report "Gimbal Motor Overloaded" and then won't work after that.

What you are describing is exactly that, a physical interference.
You shouldn't need to nudge it to pass gimbal initialization though, so if you would like to shoot me an email I would be more than happy to work with you to get one that works perfectly with your camera :)
-Jeff

What you are describing is exactly that, a physical interference.
You shouldn't need to nudge it to pass gimbal initialization though, so if you would like to shoot me an email I would be more than happy to work with you to get one that works perfectly with your camera :)
-Jeff
Well, it must be semantics because the filter itself is not touching anything other than the lens upon which it is mounted. I'll email you in a minute though. I really like the fit and finish of the product, FYI and am really excited to give it a try in Hawaii in 10 days. Hopefully I'll have some killer video to post.

Here is a photo of where my gimbal pauses - no contact here but it might be hitting the edge on the previous move.20170208_140514.png
By "nudging" the lens counterclockwise, it will continue it's initialization and work.

Last edited:
Hi,
Weight is not the issue, it is a physical interference causing the gimbal to throw codes.
The Physical interference could be caused by manufacturing variances on both ends. The ND/PL filters are the only ones subject to this because they are slightly taller than the straight ND filters. For those few having issues, we are more than happy to send out replacement filters that work with their specific camera.

You will notice that no one is having these issues with the Straight ND's which have more clearance and are less subjective to manufacturing variances on the Mavic camera lens.

-Jeff

I offered to help PolarPro out and there was no response to it whatsoever. So is it physical interference, or is it PolarPro Lens that is coming in contact with the gimbal?

If your ND/PL and Straight ND filter weigh the same, the taller ND/PL filters will respond to motion as having a heavier weight. It is just like spun & unspun weight. In this case it would cause the camera to react more intensely striking against the housing, like it is now. As I mentioned in my last post, the lens being more bulky in size will effected by the wind, and wind speed. If someone with the ND/PL filters have not had any trouble,...it might be because they have not made a abrupt turn, or have yet to fly in strong wind or at high speeds.

Is the current cure to this to install the ND/PL lens into a Straight ND housing?

Thanks for starting this thread MavicKhan. I have done some more testing and have determined that these Cinema series filters from Polar Pro are JUNK!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY!!!! The only filter that works in my set of three is #4. #8 and # 16 both fail the gimbal calibration test. #8 actually hits the housing during startup. (admit it Jeff they are too heavy) And as far as getting them off, forget it. These things will rip your fingernails off. I spent 10 minutes trying to get the last one off cussing Polar Pro as I went along. It felt like I was damaging my gimbal more than anything. We should not have to mechanically fix these in order for them to work, we should get what we paid for a WORKING PRODUCT. This unfortunately is my second product from Polar Pro. First was the landing gear. What a mess these are. Anything that scratches the finish on my Mavic I want no part of. (a refund was issued immediately) I think you JEFF should admit you do have an issue with these filters. Also you should get involved and do a little QC here and there before releasing anything. Now I can see why your support staff is so busy as you put it. Oh yeah another thing I will spread the word on all forums related to the Mavic, because in the end THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!

Last edited:
Reactions: stratos
I hope your Shark tank investors see that you have released CRAP in everything related to the MAVIC. Your first set of filters do not work, cinema series, and landing gear. What else am I missing? You are losing ground my friend.

I've had mine for 3 weeks now, and had a few gimbal overloads. Read about using the pads of your fingers to install, and as long as I slide them all the way on I don't have a problem. Using the pads of my fingers, as instructed on one of the PolarPro videos, they come off easily too.

I am using the 8, 16 and 32 NDs. Mostly 32 right now in Southern Florida.

Thanks for starting this thread MavicKhan. I have done some more testing and have determined that these Cinema series filters from Polar Pro are JUNK!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY!!!! The only filter that works in my set of three is #4. #8 and # 16 both fail the gimbal calibration test. #8 actually hits the housing during startup. (admit it Jeff they are too heavy) And as far as getting them off, forget it. These things will rip your fingernails off. I spend 10 minutes trying to get the last one off cussing Polar Pro as I went along. It felt like I was damaging my gimbal more than anything. We should not have to mechanically fix these in order for them to work, we should get what we paid for a WORKING PRODUCT. This unfortunately is my second product from Polar Pro. First was the landing gear. What a mess these are. Anything that scratches the finish on my Mavic I want no part of. (a refund was issued immediately) I think you JEFF should admit you do have an issue with these filters. Also you should get involved and do a little QC here and there before releasing anything. Now I can see why your support staff is so busy as you put it. Oh yeah another thing I will spread the word on all forums related to the Mavic, because in the end THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!

Well My friend just got his yesterday oh man, what a disaster. Exactly the same as you are describing it a hit /miss not only with #8 but for the rest as well. He was really angry and thought it was due to something else interfering.

We tested my full ser of Taco RC multicoated. All the filters passed the gimbal init without issues.

He's currently sellig them on ebay, but feel sorry for whoever buy them :( he ordered The Taco filters straight away.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've had mine for 3 weeks now, and had a few gimbal overloads. Read about using the pads of your fingers to install, and as long as I slide them all the way on it don't have a problem. Using the pads of my fingers, as instructed on one of the PolarPro videos, they come off easily too.
You should not have any errors related with these filters at all. Don't just settle my man. These aren't cheap.(well speaking of price of course)
Well My friend just got his yesterday oh man, what a disaster. Exactly the same as you are describing it a hit /miss not only with #8 but for the rest as well. He was really angry and thought it was due to something else interfering.

We tested my full ser of Taco RC multicoated. All the filters passed the gimbal init without issues.

He's currently sellig them on ebay, but feel sorry for whoever buy them :( he ordered The Taco filters straight away.

Sounds like I will be ordering the Tacos as well. If and when I receive a refund for this crap. I noticed Jeff has gone silent. Hello Jeff are you listening?

Where are you guys located, I'm in the need for some filters if the price is not too crazy.

I offered to help PolarPro out and there was no response to it whatsoever. So is it physical interference, or is it PolarPro Lens that is coming in contact with the gimbal?

If your ND/PL and Straight ND filter weigh the same, the taller ND/PL filters will respond to motion as having a heavier weight. It is just like spun & unspun weight. In this case it would cause the camera to react more intensely striking against the housing, like it is now. As I mentioned in my last post, the lens being more bulky in size will effected by the wind, and wind speed. If someone with the ND/PL filters have not had any trouble,...it might be because they have not made a abrupt turn, or have yet to fly in strong wind or at high speeds.

Is the current cure to this to install the ND/PL lens into a Straight ND housing?

The ND/PL filters are slightly taller.
There is manufacturing variance on the Mavic Camera, there is manufacturing variance on our filters.
When both variances are on opposite ends of the spectrum, they can slightly hit the gimbal (physical interference) causing error codes.

The Straight ND's are not as tall and there is no physical interference, which is why you will find a few customers are seeing some problems with the ND/PL's.

The current cure for users with Mavic cameras on the far end of the variance spec, is to use Straight ND filters, or let us work with them to get a set of ND/PL's that is within spec of their specific camera.

The ND/PL glass can not be put into the Straight ND frame because the glass is too tall.

-Jeff

Reactions: Andrew F
Thanks for starting this thread MavicKhan. I have done some more testing and have determined that these Cinema series filters from Polar Pro are JUNK!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY!!!! The only filter that works in my set of three is #4. #8 and # 16 both fail the gimbal calibration test. #8 actually hits the housing during startup. (admit it Jeff they are too heavy) And as far as getting them off, forget it. These things will rip your fingernails off. I spent 10 minutes trying to get the last one off cussing Polar Pro as I went along. It felt like I was damaging my gimbal more than anything. We should not have to mechanically fix these in order for them to work, we should get what we paid for a WORKING PRODUCT. This unfortunately is my second product from Polar Pro. First was the landing gear. What a mess these are. Anything that scratches the finish on my Mavic I want no part of. (a refund was issued immediately) I think you JEFF should admit you do have an issue with these filters. Also you should get involved and do a little QC here and there before releasing anything. Now I can see why your support staff is so busy as you put it. Oh yeah another thing I will spread the word on all forums related to the Mavic, because in the end THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!

Thanks for the post.
The ND/PL filters are taller than the ND's, there is manufacturing variance on the mavic and our filter, when they dont line up it can throw error codes. If you want a straight ND filter like all the other manufactures have out there I will be more than happy to send you our Cinema Series Straight ND filters. I will also be more than happy to send down replacement filters until we get ND/PLs that fit your mavic. [email protected]

I am here to help you if you let me, I am also more than happy to get you a return set up.

Jeff

Reactions: JDG
I hope your Shark tank investors see that you have released CRAP in everything related to the MAVIC. Your first set of filters do not work, cinema series, and landing gear. What else am I missing? You are losing ground my friend.

If you need help I am here to help you: [email protected]
I personally think our Mavic filters and landing gear are great.

I am sorry to hear that you did not like our products,
Jeff

You should tell him to email me and get a full refund if he is unhappy with them.
[email protected]

The Taco Filters are Straight ND's, I would be more than happy to send him Straight ND's if thats what he wants.
Thanks for passing on the info to him,

Jeff

crap,,, was looking forward to this... just contacted my reseller to see if I can cancel the order, given that PolarPro has not updated them on any new shipments.

You should not have any errors related with these filters at all. Don't just settle my man. These aren't cheap.(well speaking of price of course)
Sounds like I will be ordering the Tacos as well. If and when I receive a refund for this crap. I noticed Jeff has gone silent. Hello Jeff are you listening?
Hello,
Sorry, I only have time to check onto the forums once or twice per day.
If you have urgent issues please email me: [email protected]

-Jeff

crap,,, was looking forward to this... just contacted my reseller to see if I can cancel the order, given that PolarPro has not updated them on any new shipments.
They have all been updated, a few people are experiencing fitment issues with some the the ND/PL's however it is not a majority of them shipped. We are more than happy to work on getting you refunded if yours do not work out,

Jeff

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying