DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro- Filter Calculator App

SDK would be even more messy as you'd have to completely close the GO app for another app to be able to connect and get the data. Much more cumbersome and slower.

Most people use a dedicated device for flying, so they can run the app on their phone with no link whatsoever.

Jeff, it took me a little while to figure out what to do, but I did figure it out so maybe it's not necessary.
However, what I meant was a high-level guide or description of what to do and what the results mean. I'm not as versed in what the filters can do for me and using your tool is very helpful. With so many drones being sold I'm sure there are a lot more like me out there who could benefit from your app and learn to use filters properly.
Got it, thank you very much for the feedback, I think that is a great idea!
-Jeff

Reactions: Romi
@PolarPro, lots of discussion here but my main suggestion is to add a proper help page that explains what he user should do and what the app calculates, none of which is present today. Seems like this is mostly for folks who aren't familiar with exposure calculations and perhaps people like me who are but could use this app as a shortcut/convenience (my phone is already out and controlling the drone, might as well just quickly switch to make sure I didn't mess up the math I would do in my head - it's happened before ;)).
Yah, thats a good idea, this seems to be a common thought and something we will be adding.
Thank you very much for the feedback on it!
-Jeff

The app isn't super intuitive or user friendly but could be. As a reference Lee big/little stopper ND filters for still use the following app. LEE Filters - Stopper Exposure Guide by LEE Filters https://appsto.re/us/Q7u3bb.i It's very good. Obviously it's a bit different for video. Recommendations explain more step by step how to use. The ? Screen is a good start. Also when I press the button to make a selection, I click outside the pop up selection window and nothing happens. Only when I click on my selection again does it close. Not super intuitive. All intended to be constructive. Thanks for listening and good luck. It's been raining here so I have had a chance to test out the filters yet. I might be interested in upgrading to the cinema filters when they are released. What's the upgrade cost if I purchased the 6 filter set?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Automatic updating as you change values would be good.
Some direction on how to use the app (I figured it out but it'd definitely help)
Some more information on what each filter does would be good for beginners to learn from.
This info doesn't need to clutter up the main app screen for more experienced users but on a separate help page or optional mini-tutorial when users first start the app.
Also, sometimes when I open it my last values are gone and it resets to 24FPS, SS 1 so have to change these. I never use 24FPS so I can see it becoming a bit of a pain changing it every time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app
Awesome, great feedback. Thank you for taking the time to check it out and share your thoughts, I think these additions will help a lot of people out as well.
-Jeff

Well dam, totally confused by the save the filter option nor can I get the app to work as its just states the filter I have entered after I press calculate.
Hleo!
Did you try it in real time outdoors? In some situations if your shutter is lower than 1/60th you will not need a filter.
The Saved filter would be used for if you are out in the field and you want to save a filter you dont have for later reference.
But feedback well received on that being confusing. Thank you very much for the help,
-Jeff

Quick question, is it possible to grab the exposure data through the DJI SDK? I've got to have my phone connected to the craft to get the data, and I'm going to switch to the calc to transfer the data I see in DJI Go app... But if it's connected can we just query the craft for the current exposure? Camera - DJI Mobile SDK Documentation
If so then it would be awesome if I could get the exposure I like, switch to the calc, see which filter to attach, and confirm. Then have the calc manually set the exposure for the frame rate I'm after on the craft.

That would be awesome, but we do not have the resources to do this.
Down the road it would be really cool, but we wanted to start with a simple, free resource everyone could use.
Its a great idea and thank you very much for the thoughts,

Jeff

Reactions: roberto
SDK would be even more messy as you'd have to completely close the GO app for another app to be able to connect and get the data. Much more cumbersome and slower.

Most people use a dedicated device for flying, so they can run the app on their phone with no link whatsoever.

I'm not so sure about that, I believe I've switched from the Litchi app to DJI Go 4 without having to force quit the apps. Of course if it wasn't connected the app could function the same as now...

The app isn't super intuitive or user friendly but could be. As a reference Lee big/little stopper ND filters for still use the following app. LEE Filters - Stopper Exposure Guide by LEE Filters https://appsto.re/us/Q7u3bb.i It's very good. Obviously it's a bit different for video. Recommendations explain more step by step how to use. The ? Screen is a good start. Also when I press the button to make a selection, I click outside the pop up selection window and nothing happens. Only when I click on my selection again does it close. Not super intuitive. All intended to be constructive. Thanks for listening and good luck. It's been raining here so I have had a chance to test out the filters yet. I might be interested in upgrading to the cinema filters when they are released. What's the upgrade cost if I purchased the 6 filter set?

Awesome thank you very much for the feedback, I think those are all great ideas and something we will get into the next update.
Cinema Series info/preorder page should actually be available early next week!! I think we are even going to discount them for everyone who ordered the current 3 and 6 packs.
Stay tuned,
-Jeff

My filters arrived and look to be of high quality, however there is a significant flaw in that my Mavic refuses to fly with them attached. Switching the Mavic on, the camera goes into spasm, and the app reports the camera gimbal obstructed. Removing the filter and all returns to normal so I can fly with control of the camera. Have emailed PolarPro and am waiting for a response but I would hold fire on any purchase decisions, because my investment isn't doing anything right now.

My filters arrived and look to be of high quality, however there is a significant flaw in that my Mavic refuses to fly with them attached. Switching the Mavic on, the camera goes into spasm, and the app reports the camera gimbal obstructed. Removing the filter and all returns to normal so I can fly with control of the camera. Have emailed PolarPro and am waiting for a response but I would hold fire on any purchase decisions, because my investment isn't doing anything right now.

As i understand it you must activate and let the Mavic do it's thing, and then apply the filter.
Check polar pro thread for detailed video!

I really appreciate what you're trying to do with your user centered design and getting feedback from us the end-user. Absolutely the way to go.

Perhaps adding plus and minus buttons that would let people quickly just click up and down and change the setting?

Mostly as people of mentioned, I think that both your filters and your app would be best served by very clear education and tutorials. It would be amazing if you could have some YouTube classes as this is one of the most important parts of this hobby. I just made a film of the flights I did yesterday and I'm extremely disappointed with how blown out everything is. My six pack arrives on Wednesday and I will have another go, but I have absolutely no idea what I am doing when it comes to filters or color correction.

I am eager to learn. This video could have been great. Thanks.

I really appreciate what you're trying to do with your user centered design and getting feedback from us the end-user. Absolutely the way to go.

Perhaps adding plus and minus buttons that would let people quickly just click up and down and change the setting?

Mostly as people of mentioned, I think that both your filters and your app would be best served by very clear education and tutorials. It would be amazing if you could have some YouTube classes as this is one of the most important parts of this hobby. I just made a film of the flights I did yesterday and I'm extremely disappointed with how blown out everything is. My six pack arrives on Wednesday and I will have another go, but I have absolutely no idea what I am doing when it comes to filters or color correction.
Great Feedback, thank you very much for the usability feedback, that is a good idea!
I think a Youtube video could be beneficial as well, I will put that on the board!
Thanks again for the help,

Jeff

I have received my 6 pack of filters and like many above, just waiting on the Mavic to show up before I can test them out. I do, however, like the packaging as this will fit nicely in a bag and keep the filters from bouncing around and getting scratched! Good job on that! And the free app??!! Thats cool too...just looks like a few tweaks are in order on the next version. Thanks for that in advance! :)

I have received my 6 pack of filters and like many above, just waiting on the Mavic to show up before I can test them out. I do, however, like the packaging as this will fit nicely in a bag and keep the filters from bouncing around and getting scratched! Good job on that! And the free app??!! Thats cool too...just looks like a few tweaks are in order on the next version. Thanks for that in advance! :)
Thank you very much for the feedback!
-Jeff

That's... just not how it works.
Unless it's a grad ND your filter knocks down the brightness of the entire image in the exact same way.

But from the rest of your post I now understand you set exposure manually - which is important but was not mentioned in your previous post. If you don't do that your method doesn't work. As you didn't mention it, someone who reads you without knowing (there are 90% chances they use auto exposure) will do a right mess and wreck his footage.

And my point was that the sky isn't always the brightest thing in a shot, which is why I said you shouldn't "expose for the sky", you should "expose for the subject you're going to shoot". That could include sky, and the sky being the brightest part, in which case you'd expose for the sky, but that's only one particular scenario and not a go-to method.

You're right. I would assume that no-one would be using auto settings; in any situation.

I think I understand how to use this app. I've read this thread. I think a few people are confused about "what filter to start with." I think it would be best to start with selecting "none" on the app. Just insert what FPS you have for your record settings and select the current camera ISO and shutter speed when your camera is powered up and pointed in the general direction you wish to film. Tap the "calculate" button and it will tell you what filter to install to get a shutter speed that is double what you entered as your FPS record setting.

What I'm trying to figure out is... can I leave my camera on auto? Let's say I'm recording at 30fps. Then, I want a shutter speed of 1/60. If I leave it in auto, is the camera "smart" enough to automatically choose the shutter speed of 1/60 and auto change the ISO to whatever it needs to be to maintain the SS of 1/60. If so, why do some people insist on manual mode.

Last edited:
While I certainly appreciate the effort of helping pilots to figure out what filter to use, the best way is to look at the image on your phone. If you shoot automatic, set ISO to desired setting, choose your frame rate then switch to manual and set your target shutter speed. Then place on the lens the most appropriate ND to get a well exposed picture. Then switch back to automatic if you desire. Doing it this way will develop a feel for the right ND.
Apps and stuff are great but a little effort will put you in control of your exposure and will allow you to be creative.

While I certainly appreciate the effort of helping pilots to figure out what filter to use, the best way is to look at the image on your phone. If you shoot automatic, set ISO to desired setting, choose your frame rate then switch to manual and set your target shutter speed. Then place on the lens the most appropriate ND to get a well exposed picture. Then switch back to automatic if you desire. Doing it this way will develop a feel for the right ND.
Apps and stuff are great but a little effort will put you in control of your exposure and will allow you to be creative.

I certainly appreciate the effort of helping pilots to figure out what filter to use, but looking at the image on my phone is not often going to be the best way. I have a hard time seeing my screen half the time even with a hood. I'm looking forward to the availability of cyrstalsky so I can see better. Anyone else (PolarPro) care to comment on my post above I would appreciate it. Since this thread is titled "PolarPro- Filter Calculator App" that's what I am trying to talk about and learn how to use. I'd like to know for sure how to use the app, pick the correct ND filter, and have the correct settings based on the numbers. I'll work on being creative another time.

I think I understand how to use this app. I've read this thread. I think a few people are confused about "what filter to start with." I think it would be best to start with selecting "none" on the app. Just insert what FPS you have for your record settings and select the current camera ISO and shutter speed when your camera is powered up and pointed in the general direction you wish to film. Tap the "calculate" button and it will tell you what filter to install to get a shutter speed that is double what you entered as your FPS record setting.

What I'm trying to figure out is... can I leave my camera on auto? Let's say I'm recording at 30fps. Then, I want a shutter speed of 1/60. If I leave it in auto, is the camera "smart" enough to automatically choose the shutter speed of 1/60 and auto change the ISO to whatever it needs to be to maintain the SS of 1/60. If so, why do some people insist on manual mode.

I do not know what the camera will do in automatic. It will set ISO AND shutter speed to respond to the light coming into the lens according to its algorithm. Attaching an ND filter will slow the shutter speed down but it will still be up to the camera how much. That is why most people find it beneficial to have manual exposure control.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_