DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro- Filter Calculator App

I certainly appreciate the effort of helping pilots to figure out what filter to use, but looking at the image on my phone is not often going to be the best way. I have a hard time seeing my screen half the time even with a hood. I'm looking forward to the availability of cyrstalsky so I can see better. Anyone else (PolarPro) care to comment on my post above I would appreciate it. Since this thread is titled "PolarPro- Filter Calculator App" that's what I am trying to talk about and learn how to use. I'd like to know for sure how to use the app, pick the correct ND filter, and have the correct settings based on the numbers. I'll work on being creative another time.

I meant Polar Pro

I think I understand how to use this app. I've read this thread. I think a few people are confused about "what filter to start with." I think it would be best to start with selecting "none" on the app. Just insert what FPS you have for your record settings and select the current camera ISO and shutter speed when your camera is powered up and pointed in the general direction you wish to film. Tap the "calculate" button and it will tell you what filter to install to get a shutter speed that is double what you entered as your FPS record setting.

What I'm trying to figure out is... can I leave my camera on auto? Let's say I'm recording at 30fps. Then, I want a shutter speed of 1/60. If I leave it in auto, is the camera "smart" enough to automatically choose the shutter speed of 1/60 and auto change the ISO to whatever it needs to be to maintain the SS of 1/60. If so, why do some people insist on manual mode.

If you shoot in Auto the camera trys to keep Shutter speed the same by bumping or reducing EV, it does a pretty good job from my experience with that, but if you need it locked on to 1/60th then you need to push it to Manual. Let me know if you have any other questions,

-Jeff

While I certainly appreciate the effort of helping pilots to figure out what filter to use, the best way is to look at the image on your phone. If you shoot automatic, set ISO to desired setting, choose your frame rate then switch to manual and set your target shutter speed. Then place on the lens the most appropriate ND to get a well exposed picture. Then switch back to automatic if you desire. Doing it this way will develop a feel for the right ND.
Apps and stuff are great but a little effort will put you in control of your exposure and will allow you to be creative.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Hey Brice,
The app is just there to help pilots who are not familiar with F-stops get shutter down from the current level to the sweet spot :)
It eliminates the need to intstall and remove a few filters to try to get exposure correct. If you use the app would love to hear if you have any feedback on it!

-Jeff

Reactions: nzdrone
Hi Everyone,

We just launched an app to help select which filter to use to get shutter to the sweet spot.
It would be awesome if we could get some early usability feedback on the app.

We would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback. The app is free to download and use:
iTunes: PolarPro-Filter Calculator-IOS
Google Play: PolarPro Filter Calculator-Android

Thank you in advance for your help,
Jeff
I can't believe I didn't notice this post sooner! I was just thinking yesterday that wish someone would develop something like this. I can't wait to try it out. Crappy, cloudy and windy today, but I'll check it out soon! I have the six filter set. I think I talked to you, Jeff, a few weeks back about finding the sweet spot on the CPL.

Happy New Year DM2.jpg

I can't believe I didn't notice this post sooner! I was just think yesterday that wish someone would develop something like this. I can't wait to try it out. Crappy, cloudy and windy today, but I'll check it out soon! I have the six filter set. I think I talked to you, Jeff, a few weeks back about finding the sweet spot on the CPL.
Awesome!
Yah, we are in the process of making a few tweaks to the app for V2.1 based on some feedback, we would love to hear your thoughts on the app!
Thanks for supporting our brand,
-Jeff

Reactions: vdubbin1967
Hey Brice,
The app is just there to help pilots who are not familiar with F-stops get shutter down from the current level to the sweet spot :)
It eliminates the need to intstall and remove a few filters to try to get exposure correct. If you use the app would love to hear if you have any feedback on it!

-Jeff
Sure, no problem Jeff.

I'm new to the party here, but I just downloaded the app.

Like others, it wasn't immediately clear to me how the app worked. I assumed it was using the iPhone camera as a light meter.

My suggestion is the same as many others above. Just add a brief intro/help page that explains how the app works. Something like this:

How to use the PolarPro Filter Calculator:
  1. Launch your drone
  2. Aim the camera at something that is generally representive of what you plan to film.
  3. Switch your camera into auto mode.
  4. Enter the values your drone auto selects into the DJI Go app (or whichever ground station app you prefer).
  5. Click Calculate
Notes: if you already have an ND filter on your camera, enter it into the app under "Filter Installed" to allow the app to account for the effect the filter has.
I'm sure you guys can word-smith that better, but that's what I would add to the app. Nothing more needed in my opinion.

Actually... there is one thing that would be nice. If I'm shooting at 30fps, I like to target a shutter speed of 1/80. The app doesn't allow for that. Not a big deal, 1/60 is close enough to get me in the ball park.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
We just launched V2.1 of this app which incorporates pretty much all of your feedback!
Hopefully some of you find this app helpful :)
-Jeff

Reactions: erikgraham
I can't believe I didn't notice this post sooner! I was just thinking yesterday that wish someone would develop something like this. I can't wait to try it out. Crappy, cloudy and windy today, but I'll check it out soon! I have the six filter set. I think I talked to you, Jeff, a few weeks back about finding the sweet spot on the CPL.

View attachment 3218

I just downloaded it too. Thanks. I'm going to try it out

Maybe this is the wrong topic. But I bought the original first mavic polar pro. 3 pack. Is there a way to get the newest upgrade cinema series ones?

Maybe this is the wrong topic. But I bought the original first mavic polar pro. 3 pack. Is there a way to get the newest upgrade cinema series ones?

Email support (contact info on website) and they will be more than happy to upgrade them for you. I had no issues at all and they sent me a return label to send the originals back.

They are al

This app is actually part of my preflight checklist. It took me a couple minutes to figure out that I needed to set my Mavic into Auto first to see what values are listed in the current lighting, but after I figured that out it works like a charm, thanks!

Reactions: PolarPro
Awesome, these are some great ideas, they are all getting added onto the design board for the next version.
Appreciated the very detailed feedback, it helps a lot.
-Jeff
Is there any way to use the iPhone itself to measure the light and pick the correct filter? That seems like a faster scenario...

Love the filters!

Reactions: Rbruz
This app is actually part of my preflight checklist. It took me a couple minutes to figure out that I needed to set my Mavic into Auto first to see what values are listed in the current lighting, but after I figured that out it works like a charm, thanks!

Why would you need to do that? I use this approach:

In manual mode:
  • set ISO = 100
  • Adjust shutter until you reach EV=0 (e.g. @ 1/1600)
Input your values in the app, e.g.:
  • ISO 100
  • Shutter 1600
  • Frame rate 30
Calc result: ND32

• Put on the filter
  • Still in manual mode (ISO is already set at 100), set shutter to 2x your frame rate, EV vil then be 0 or close to 0 (fine adjust with the EV wheel) with ISO and shutter locked.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

We just launched an app to help select which filter to use to get shutter to the sweet spot.
It would be awesome if we could get some early usability feedback on the app.

We would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback. The app is free to download and use:
iTunes: PolarPro-Filter Calculator-IOS
Google Play: PolarPro Filter Calculator-Android

Thank you in advance for your help,
Jeff
I just joined and bought my Mavik Pro today. Trying to down load your app, but No Joy. Cannot find the app in the App Store either. Thanks

I just joined and bought my Mavik Pro today. Trying to down load your app, but No Joy. Cannot find the app in the App Store either. Thanks
I went to your web site and was able to get to the correct app through your link. Thanks. I'll let you know how I like it or not. Thanks

Reactions: PolarPro

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_