DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll:Mavic Total Loss Insurance?

Is your Mavic insured for loss if it is unrecoverable?

• Yes I have State Farm or other total loss DRONE coverage and I am happy with it.

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • Yes I have State Farm or other total loss DRONE coverage and I am not happy with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have my drone covered under my homeowners or other policy and I am happy with the coverage,

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have my drone covered under my homeowners or other policy and I am not happy with the coverage,

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I have no drone loss insurance. Please explain why.

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Dont have it, aint gettin it (Thanks Q)

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters
Currently no insurance, I looked at DJI care when I bought the Mavic but it seemed expensive given it doesn't cover loss so I didn't take it out. One of the UK recommended insurers didn't cover loss either and I've had difficulty finding the right type of insurance (searches usually bring up plenty for liability insurance instead) and actual experience of making claims under insurance.

Reactions: scooot
Yeah lets see how easy it is to get these insurance carriers to pay for a new drone after you crash it...

Reactions: Wersh
I mounted a Trackimo to my drone, it has never failed me in terms of providing GPS data. If my drone ends up somewhere I can just go the Trackimo's location. But never have I ever lost a UAV, even the manual ones.

Yeah lets see how easy it is to get these insurance carriers to pay for a new drone after you crash it...
I've never made a drone claim but have for a laptop, went into the State Farm office with a receipt, walked out with a check for the full amount. I wouldn't think the Mavic would work any different.

Reactions: Wersh
Well that is good, from my experience insurance companies try to find every reason why it wouldn't be covered. Seems like a flying drone would have more reasons than anything to not be covered. Plus is it really worth it if your rates go up as a result? You could end up paying for a lot more than a new drone. Also just about all property damage claims are entered into a database called CLUE. CLUE is ran by LexisNexis and used by all of the insurance companies. Your UAV claim details will be in that database and will likely result in higher premiums in the future, even going to another insurer. And something unique like a UAV accident may be written up in a way that could certainly cause concern for a new insurance provider looking to evaluate your risk. You don't think the insurer would charge more for a client who has a history of "unmanned aerial vehicle accidents"? Maybe insurers like those claims as they know that check is a fraction of what they will make in the long run...

I got the contact info for a SF agent in Georgia if anyone needs it...

Does it tell you who is the most knowledgeable, quickest to return calls and has best rate?

Um the underwriter sets the rates, the insurance sales person you call has nothing to do with that unless they are scamming their company and lying. Sounds like you are spamming for yourself or a friend.

I am so sick and tired of these chicken little the sky is falling insurance "experts" trashing the State Farm deal. $60 and who cares if your policy goes up! Will it go up $1200-$2500? No I don't think so! So in the end the better deal is State Farm... end of story! And Newman is right going to SF website doesn't cut it.

Not insured. Did not realize I could get Dji Care until it was past 48hrs.

I am so sick and tired of these chicken little the sky is falling insurance "experts" trashing the State Farm deal. $60 and who cares if your policy goes up! Will it go up $1200-$2500? No I don't think so! So in the end the better deal is State Farm... end of story! And Newman is right going to SF website doesn't cut it.

Wow, obviously you are the furthest thing from an expert, you seem to have some ulterior motives here. I never once bashed SF or any specific deal, don't know anything about it. I would never consider insuring my Mavic as I know how to fly and I don't fly stupid, insuring just for the chance of equipment failure seems like a waste. However if you think you can make drone claims on property or renters insurance without any unfavorable impact, you are woefully uninformed. I'm just explaining the potential implications before people go buying an insurance policy or filing a claim due to your uninformed guidance for a fairly cheap item. Sure you insure your house and car, but filing a claim for less than a grand would almost always be unwise. It's not about your $60 policy going up, of course that policy wont go anywhere close to $1200. It's the potential of ANY future policy with ANY insurer. Your claim information will be in database forever which all insurers use to determine somebody's risk.

So in the future say you buy a nice house and are usually required by mortgage lenders to pre-pay a year of homeowners hazard insurance. That drone claim years ago can end up costing you far more than $1200 on a home owners policy. They don't just ignore your drone claim because you had a $60 special policy. They don't care what policy it was under, all that matters is you had a property damage claim, and therefor you are a higher risk to insure. You don't think an insurer would consider a person with previous UAV claims as a higher risk (especially when insuring a home for liability and property damage) than somebody without those claims? Higher risk evaluation = higher premiums. So you might not realize it but that drone claim could end up costing many times the cost of a replacement or repair due to increased premiums on a much larger policy in the future. They are in the business to make money, I guaranteed they will be successful at that, if you think $60 gets you free drone replacements and that's it, you are clueless.

Um the underwriter sets the rates, the insurance sales person you call has nothing to do with that unless they are scamming their company and lying. Sounds like you are spamming for yourself or a friend.

just trying to help out fellow drone enthusiasts who might want insurance....I am in no way affiliated to anyone who works in the insurance industry.

Has that offended you in some way? Are you a disgruntled insurance agent or something?

just trying to help out fellow drone enthusiasts who might want insurance....I am in no way affiliated to anyone who works in the insurance industry.

Has that offended you in some way? Are you a disgruntled insurance agent or something?
Cut @newnan3 some slack, only trying to help. There are only a few SF agents in every state that know about drones being covered under their PAP policy. Its a new clause this year. There is a Google Doc floating around somewhere with contact info to those agents that are aware.

Reactions: newnan3
When I attempted to talk to the local SF agent about getting the PAP, she asked me IF I had my homeowners or car insurance policy with SF. When I told her I did not, she basically told me to take a walk.

Guess she doesn't need a $60 policy that I'll probably never use.

Her Loss.

Reactions: newnan3 and Wersh
I'm covered under my Aviva home insurance policy, although, having said i'm happy with it, i've not had to make a claim so until then i voted for '3' as it's the only option that will cover me for loss.

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
No total loss or liability cover, have said before on previous thread, no cover available in S.Africa unless for commercial use (requiring full remote pilots license), or through remote aircraft club (requiring flying only from registered remote aircraft field).
So will try not to crash. Especially not to crash into someone else's property!

When I attempted to talk to the local SF agent about getting the PAP, she asked me IF I had my homeowners or car insurance policy with SF. When I told her I did not, she basically told me to take a walk.

Guess she doesn't need a $60 policy that I'll probably never use.

Her Loss.

My experience as well. Two of the agents I called seemed tremendously uninterested in helping at all.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661