DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll:Mavic Total Loss Insurance?

Is your Mavic insured for loss if it is unrecoverable?

• Yes I have State Farm or other total loss DRONE coverage and I am happy with it.

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • Yes I have State Farm or other total loss DRONE coverage and I am not happy with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have my drone covered under my homeowners or other policy and I am happy with the coverage,

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have my drone covered under my homeowners or other policy and I am not happy with the coverage,

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I have no drone loss insurance. Please explain why.

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Dont have it, aint gettin it (Thanks Q)

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters
I purchased a PAP policy for my Mavic from State Farm a few months back...I don't have any other policies with SF and had no issue getting my drone covered. I had to submit a copy of my order invoice from DJI and the serial number off the drone and a $60 payment. I'm covered for a year against damage, theft, or a total loss...any issues and SF cuts me a check for up to $1299, the price I paid for tje Fly More combo. I havnt had a crash or any issues yet so for now it's just for peace of mind, which, to me, is worth the $60/year.

If you're having trouble getting a SF agent to be receptive...tell them that you want a Personal Articles policy to cover your photography gear. Most people have a camera of some kind and some other accessories. List those items first then include your Mavic so the agent is insuring more than just a "scary drone".

State Farm. Minimum PAP policy premium cost me $60 for the year. Coverage up to $5,000.

Located on Long Island if anyone needs info just PM me.

Is that available as standalone coverage? I have all my insurance plans on USAA and have no desire to leave them.

Is that available as standalone coverage? I have all my insurance plans on USAA and have no desire to leave them.

Yes. You do not need to be a customer of state farm or have any other policy with them. I am with GEICO for auto and home owners but GEICO wouldn't offer a drone policy per say under a PAP policy.

Interesting! Sounds like it may be worth the extra money, even though I already paid for DJI Refresh when I go the drone a month ago.

Interesting! Sounds like it may be worth the extra money, even though I already paid for DJI Refresh when I go the drone a month ago.

As did I but I also insured my DSLR camera and my other drone as well. The minimum insurance is 5k coverage so what the heck lol. I'm covered in either scenario in case I do loose my Mavic or just crash it and use the Refresh. $60 bucks is very reasonable with no deductible.

I'm covered under my Aviva home insurance policy, although, having said i'm happy with it, i've not had to make a claim so until then i voted for '3' as it's the only option that will cover me for loss.
Yes. I should have mentioned this on page 1 as well. Homeowners/renters insurance only covers theft/loss, with police report. It does not cover you if you crash your Mavic into a tree or it flies away. Same as if your air conditioner breaks down or your washer/dryer quits working. There is always a deductible (typically $500-$1000) but of course, you can pay a higher premium to make this $0. cc: @Tonka

On the other hand, PAP insurance covers EVERYTHING with the exception for intentional destruction of goods (that's fraud). And the typical deductible is $0. This is why most people get PAP insurance for their higher priced jewelry, firearm, electronics, etc.

If you can get PAP insurance from State Farm, then get it ASAP. There is a good chance that that this deal won't last long. I was with SF back in 2010 when they offered PAP insurance for smartphones. It was only $30/year premium. Once the claims started rolling in, SF canceled all policies. SF will generally cancel programs if the loss rate > 50%. Basically that means if 1 in 9 make a claim for a new Mavic, then this is considered a bad program (9 people = $540 in premium; $1000 mavic; 54% loss rate). I'd get a PAP insurance in heartbeat, but I'm in California, and they don't offer drone PAP here. If anyone knows a California carrier for drones, then please let me know.

EDIT: The above is the general rule for insurance in the USA. Ask your agent for more information, and make sure you get everything in writing. I was in the insurance industry for 3 years, and I've seen too many agents say things that were not true.

Last edited:
Reactions: HaddenUSAF
I am not insured at present but have been looking into it.I am in the Uk and can't seem to find anything suitable.The quotes I have stumbled upon on the internet are for commercial.Prices up to as much as £450 for the year.
If anyone can point me to a uk insurer that covers loss and accidental damage it would be appreciated.
Aviva home insurance ...

Well I just got my quote from the SF agent newnan3 recommended and in a matter of 20 minutes going back and forth got a quote of $22 a year to insure my drone for $1100. BUT SF requires a minimum charge of $60 for the year. Tomorrow I will adjust the policy with him to add in my other accessories that cost over $20 like tablet, batteries, etc.! He responded within 10 minutes of my first email to him!!!

Reactions: newnan3
I am not sure where you guys are getting the minimum State Farm charge. Maybe because I have my Home Owners insurance with them, my full DJI Fly More package is insured for $39/yr, no deductible. I called my State Farm agent listed on my HO policy and within 2 days I had the coverage. I went in to his office and the protection was explained with this example - if you have coverage under your Home Owners policy, and the Mavic is stolen - you may be covered, but you would need a police report, and pay the deductible before any payout to recover the loss. Under the Personal Articles Policy, you could say....have a "mysterious disappearance" happen and they would pay you for the full amount insured. (he used these words several times...I like him...LOL) Here is the link to the coverage page:
Personal Articles Policy – State Farm™

What is a "mysterious disappearance"? The example he gave is a woman washing her hands at the sink and her insured ring goes down the drain. It's not theft, it's a "mysterious disappearance" with no police report needed. Awesome.

Oh yah...for you poor guys in CA....if you have a relative in another state, see if you can get the coverage through SF there...they will pay for losses in CA, just not able to sell the policy there.

Last edited:
As did I but I also insured my DSLR camera and my other drone as well. The minimum insurance is 5k coverage so what the heck lol. I'm covered in either scenario in case I do loose my Mavic or just crash it and use the Refresh. $60 bucks is very reasonable with no deductible.
Same here, all my camera stuff including the lenses are covered plus my Mavic. In addition, all my ham radio equipment is on the policy. I'm tickled to death with SF.

I am not sure where you guys are getting the minimum State Farm charge. Maybe because I have my Home Owners insurance with them, my full DJI Fly More package is insured for $39/yr, no deductible. I called my State Farm agent listed on my HO policy and within 2 days I had the coverage. I went in to his office and the protection was explained with this example - if you have coverage under your Home Owners policy, and the Mavic is stolen - you may be covered, but you would need a police report, and pay the deductible before any payout to recover the loss. Under the Personal Articles Policy, you could say....have a "mysterious disappearance" happen and they would pay you for the full amount insured. (he used these words several times...I like him...LOL) Here is the link to the coverage page:
Personal Articles Policy – State Farm[emoji769]

What is a "mysterious disappearance"? The example he gave is a woman washing her hands at the sink and her insured ring goes down the drain. It's not theft, it's a "mysterious disappearance" with no police report needed. Awesome.

Oh yah...for you poor guys in CA....if you have a relative in another state, see if you can get the coverage through SF there...they will pay for losses in CA, just not able to sell the policy there.
Yes I don't have SF, I have USAA who doesn't know how to handle drones in any of their policies.

My premiums are low ($0) but my deductible is $1000 and covers everything but liability. No paper work or forms to fill out and no questions asked.

Personal Articles Policy – State Farm™

I ended up with about $4,000 worth of coverage for my dslr and MP for $72/year. Which is the main stuff I needed bc those are the big ticket items I'm traveling with this year.

Well I just got my quote from the SF agent newnan3 recommended and in a matter of 20 minutes going back and forth got a quote of $22 a year to insure my drone for $1100. BUT SF requires a minimum charge of $60 for the year. Tomorrow I will adjust the policy with him to add in my other accessories that cost over $20 like tablet, batteries, etc.! He responded within 10 minutes of my first email to him!!!

Glad it worked out for you!

Reactions: Can't_C_Me
Yes. I should have mentioned this on page 1 as well. Homeowners/renters insurance only covers theft/loss, with police report. It does not cover you if you crash your Mavic into a tree or it flies away. Same as if your air conditioner breaks down or your washer/dryer quits working. There is always a deductible (typically $500-$1000) but of course, you can pay a higher premium to make this $0. cc: @Tonka

On the other hand, PAP insurance covers EVERYTHING with the exception for intentional destruction of goods (that's fraud). And the typical deductible is $0. This is why most people get PAP insurance for their higher priced jewelry, firearm, electronics, etc.

If you can get PAP insurance from State Farm, then get it ASAP. There is a good chance that that this deal won't last long. I was with SF back in 2010 when they offered PAP insurance for smartphones. It was only $30/year premium. Once the claims started rolling in, SF canceled all policies. SF will generally cancel programs if the loss rate > 50%. Basically that means if 1 in 9 make a claim for a new Mavic, then this is considered a bad program (9 people = $540 in premium; $1000 mavic; 54% loss rate). I'd get a PAP insurance in heartbeat, but I'm in California, and they don't offer drone PAP here. If anyone knows a California carrier for drones, then please let me know.

EDIT: The above is the general rule for insurance in the USA. Ask your agent for more information, and make sure you get everything in writing. I was in the insurance industry for 3 years, and I've seen too many agents say things that were not true.

I'm covered for accidental damage too with Aviva, it's part of the policy where i'm covered for personal belongings, home or away from home, unspecified - so i don't need to specify what it is in the policy, for up to £2000.

I'm covered for accidental damage too with Aviva, it's part of the policy where i'm covered for personal belongings, home or away from home, unspecified - so i don't need to specify what it is in the policy, for up to £2000.
Just to verify, you purchased the optional coverage to your Home Insurance policy, correct?

The accidental coverage is not part of Aviva's standard Home Insurance policy. If your agent told you that it is covered, I would ask for it in writing. Aviva does provide the Optional coverage called Personal belongings cover (in and away from home) which provides up to £2000 in protection. I'd still read the fine print on that.

Not insured. Did not realize I could get Dji Care until it was past 48hrs.
You can still get DJI care at anytime after purchase. You just have to jump through a few hoops to prove your Mavic is still in good shape.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin