DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PTGUI Stitching Template File

alpsodelic

Reactions
Hi! Does anyone have PTGUI template files for Spherical Panorama stitching that might work with a Mavic Air 2? I am trying to stitch spherical panos in PTGUI (the dji built in stitcher can be "not so great") and am having trouble aligning the sky. I am going to make a test today with a spherical pano low in my yard with lots of straight lines to see if I can develop the template, but it would be nice to see what other people have. Will post my template when complete. Thanks!

Well..,now i see the actual problem here. Mavic Air 2 does not take a zenith shot! (That's the direct upward facing 90 deg image). So in fact this is not an actual sphere. This is extremely frustrating...anyone have any work arounds to this? thanks

Reactions: DanJ
Well..,now i see the actual problem here. Mavic Air 2 does not take a zenith shot! (That's the direct upward facing 90 deg image). So in fact this is not an actual sphere. This is extremely frustrating...anyone have any work arounds to this? thanks
Assume you're using equirectangular projection?

When you stitch the panorama set the output pixel size so it is twice as wide as tall. I usually use 25000 x 12500 for a Mavic 2, 20000 x 10000 for a Mini. Export to a format with alpha channel, such as TIFF. Part of the sky will be empty, which you will need to fill in using an image editor. I like Affinity Photo because it has an equirectangular viewing mode (360° spherical editing) that lets me scroll around, but other editors will work.

Depending on the scene, you might have to add control points to set a horizontal line on the horizon in a couple of pictures to have the horizon be flat not wavy. (This is more a problem with the Mini than the Mavic 2, I find.)

I usually only use PTGui's "Project Assistant." After I import the 26 or 25 photos (Mavic 2 or Mavic 3), shot with the drone in "spherical" panorama mode, into PTGui Pro, I set up the panorama using a lens at 10.3 mm rectilinear with a 2.7x crop (Mavic 2) or 12.3 mm rectilinear with a 2x crop (Mavic 3). Then I align the images. [This is usually sufficient but if a control point ends up on a cloud or boat or automobile (rare) then I may have to adjust control points outside of just using the Project Assistant.] I then use the panorama editor where I check that I am making an equirectangular 360x180 panorama; that I am blending with exposure compensation and optimum seams with zero overlap. It is here that you can also fill missing areas, like the overhead sky, which gives an approximation that matches the upper seams of your sky photographs. [Note that you could provide a sky shot from another camera, but it wouldn't be from the same point of view in the sky and will be extremely hard to match.] I then yaw so I am facing a desired point (which becomes the middle of the default panorama), adjust pitch and roll very carefully to get a level straight horizon (usually only tenths of degrees), and then either use "tone map" or "fusion exposure" and adjust to taste. Finally, I choose the desired output file type and create the panorama file.

I am sure you could easily use this procedure with the Air 2S by making adjustments to the parameters mentioned. The software will extract lens information from the metadata of the photographs that will be useful as a starting place.

After you have used this procedure to the point you are satisfied with it, simply save it as a template file from within the file menu of PTGui. I have done this and it works fine for a similarly-shot panorama.

While some find this software pricey, I think it is very good at its job, while allowing you to make detailed changes as needed in stitching (although that can be time-consuming). I rarely have to adjust stitching. I also recommend you use raw files, save panos to jpgs for convenience, or tiffs (without alpha layers) at 16 bits for further processing with photo software. I use Affinity Photo to color balance, adjust contrast further, enhance clarity (helps remove fog or humidity) and sharpening. I also use FCP to make movies where the point of view "flies around" within the final image.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Panair and SethB
Forgot to add, when you are viewing the panorama in the panorama editor window make sure that the panorama is set to 360° x 180°. I think there's an 'autocrop' setting in PTGUI that will automatically crop out the sky (because you don't have images there) unless you turn it off, but I might be misremembering that.

This might come in handy especially when your skys or parts of your image look the same. This allows you to create xml files that PTGUI will pick up and use for determining which images go where.

Reactions: Panair