DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about flying over water and diving

I fly over water a lot and always like to make sure I have good VLOS to avoid any mishaps. As for a dive, I wouldn't recommend relying on sensors over water or land, they can be easily fooled. Over water in particular seems dicey, I have seen my MP dip downwards on low flights over water, if I wasn't paying attention it would have driven into the water.

@dwolfe002 Glad to see I'm in good company, heading to the big 60 myself this year.

Watch Victorian Aerial Vision Videos

Reactions: ff22
I fly over water a lot and always like to make sure I have good VLOS to avoid any mishaps. As for a dive, I wouldn't recommend relying on sensors over water or land, they can be easily fooled. Over water in particular seems dicey, I have seen my MP dip downwards on low flights over water, if I wasn't paying attention it would have driven into the water.

@dwolfe002 Glad to see I'm in good company, heading to the big 60 myself this year.

Watch Victorian Aerial Vision Videos

While I don't plan on relying on the sensors, I was just hoping they may help if I mess up. And so far I have found that they MAY help. There seems to be a lot of 60 and up on this forum that are a lot of help. Of course there are a lot of youngsters 59 and below that aren't too bad either. I also consider myself in good company here.

Take care and happy flying!
P.S. Checked out a couple if your videos. Very nice. Australia is the one place overseas that I always wanted to visit.

Last edited:
I have a question about diving down toward water while also going forward at a fairly good speed. If you do this will the sensors on the M2P keep you from going into the water and either stop the drone or just not let it go any lower but still fly forward. It's something I would like to try when the weather warms up but not being sure of what the M2P will do kind of scares me to try it. I plan on trying it manually but was just wondering if the sensors would/could save me if I mess up. While I'm at it, I might as well ask the same question for swamp grass too since there is plenty of that in the waters close to me.

Thanks
I fly from land over the ocean. You need to pay particular attention to wave height as at one moment you can be 4 feet above the water and the next you might be inches above the water. Also, the wind created by a cresting wave can move your drone about. What I do when I want to play over the water is I first send my drone out and let it hover at a distance that I visually think looks safe. I then check my RC to see what it says my elevation is and I never, ever let my drone drift lower than that level. Finally, remember that no matter what elevation you launch from, you will always be above the water so from a strictly elevation perspective, the drone might think it has gone below the launch elevation if your launch elevation is above the water and you get too close to the water.

I fly from land over the ocean. You need to pay particular attention to wave height as at one moment you can be 4 feet above the water and the next you might be inches above the water. Also, the wind created by a cresting wave can move your drone about. What I do when I want to play over the water is I first send my drone out and let it hover at a distance that I visually think looks safe. I then check my RC to see what it says my elevation is and I never, ever let my drone drift lower than that level. Finally, remember that no matter what elevation you launch from, you will always be above the water so from a strictly elevation perspective, the drone might think it has gone below the launch elevation if your launch elevation is above the water and you get too close to the water.

While this first one will be over the waters in the sound, I do plan to get ocean videos too. I was wondering if you know, if the drone is hovering, does it rise and fall with fairly good consistency with the water height with the sensors on? That would be with rolling waves not breaking waves. Thanks for the info!

Take care and happy flying!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs