DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Say bye bye to DJI being used by any government agency.

jaysrmc

Reactions
I got an email a Energy company I contract for using DJI drones, I have others so no big deal, I will use a different drone. It was explained to me that DJI was/has been found to store data and photos and it's being stored in China.
I can not post the entire email but privately I would share with an admin to confirm that this is in writing and true.

PROHIBITED VENDORS Contractor shall, and shall cause Subcontractors to, refrain from using the following companies while performing Company’s Work: (1) Da Jiang Innovations (DJI) drone technology, (2) Kaspersky internet security software, (3) Equifax identity check or credit monitoring services or (4) any other vendor or product that Company informs Contractor of in writing. If Contractor fails to abide by this requirement, Company will provide Contractor with notice and a 30 day opportunity to cure. Continued failure to abide by this requirement may result in Company’s termination of the Contract for cause.

This is very old news, and much of it has been rescinded. Numerous government agencies are using DJI equipment, and even the DoD is working to reverse their position for less sensitive applications.

It is dated today bud and the effective date is November 19th.

The news itself emerged in 2017, your energy company is simply behind the times, and not 'up to date'.

Its the entire government that isn't up to date. These rules are to comply with regulations set in place by our government on energy providers.

I usually fly in remote places... DJI can send any pictures or video they want, nothing sensitive and just bunch of trees.

It is dated today bud and the effective date is November 19th.

I can't comment specifically on a document that you didn't post, but I can tell you for certain that I work for a Federal Agency that uses DJI equipment, and I know of numerous others that do so too. There is no blanket prohibition.

I can't comment specifically on a document that you didn't post, but I can tell you for certain that I work for a Federal Agency that uses DJI equipment, and I know of numerous others that do so too. There is no blanket prohibition.

Im not saying there is a blanket prohibition. I am just passing along what is going down with the department of energy, energy providers and contractors. Maybe I jumped the gun on the title and did a click bait but non the less, it just sucks that I have to use a different device for work now.

Im not saying there is a blanket prohibition. I am just passing along what is going down with the department of energy, energy providers and contractors. Maybe I jumped the gun on the title and did a click bait but non the less, it just sucks that I have to use a different device for work now.

You certainly have my sympathy there. However, the agency I referred to is the DOE, so something doesn't quite add up there. Back to your original quote - are you sure it's coming from the DOE and not just the energy company in question?

You certainly have my sympathy there. However, the agency I referred to is the DOE, so something doesn't quite add up there. Back to your original quote - are you sure it's coming from the DOE and not just the energy company in question?
I can only tell you what I have been told that this is coming from DOE to all the providers and then trickled down to the contractors. I can't promise that it is true, I know the letter went out with PG&E because of the security breach and that is what caused this to come down the chain. We had to sign it as well as an agreement to not use the companies in question. I do know for a fact that two other energy providers in Arizona got the same letter. I know that we had to sign it or we would no longer be able to provide energy to the state of Texas so maybe it is a state thing.

I can only tell you what I have been told that this is coming from DOE to all the providers and then trickled down to the contractors. I can't promise that it is true, I know the letter went out with PG&E because of the security breach and that is what caused this to come down the chain. We had to sign it as well as an agreement to not use the companies in question. I do know for a fact that two other energy providers in Arizona got the same letter. I know that we had to sign it or we would no longer be able to provide energy to the state of Texas so maybe it is a state thing.

I'll see if I can find anything out from HQ.

But all we can do is wait and see what happens with this new compliance from the DOE. I didn't see it in there but I also did not read half of it. The company attorney did so I will ask if there is anything about DJI in it. On another note, the M2P is such a wonderful machine to fly. It just feels a lot better than the MP1... Placebo effect or not, it just seems to handle itself much better but I hate taking the filters on and off. It is a pain, a real pain. This is what I have to inspect tomorrow.. Should be a good one to do, they also want a 3d model so I am using the agis system for that. I usually can fly circles around it and then down to the generator and take a picture of all the levels. Pays pretty well on these. DJI_0007.JPG

Fact: There are over 300,000 chinese nationals attending universities in the US.
Fact: China is the #1 intellectual property threat to the United States
Opinion: I will go out on a limb and say that one or two of those students are here with less than educational purposes in mind.

The energy grid is considered to be critical infrastructure. My guess is that if there’s even a remote chance that high resolution inspection photos are being shared with China then that would explain the ban for this specific use case, much like how the DoD banned them for sensitive operations.

This paranoia of America is so silly, I worked at a gov base and during security meetings they would tell us if you see anybody outside the fenced base area with a camera to call security but you can see the entire base on google maps. Unless you work in a tent everything is on the internet. Plus dash cameras take great pictures of everywhere you drive.

This paranoia of America is so silly, I worked at a gov base and during security meetings they would tell us if you see anybody outside the fenced base area with a camera to call security but you can see the entire base on google maps. Unless you work in a tent everything is on the internet. Plus dash cameras take great pictures of everywhere you drive.

True, but Google Earth imagery, while useful, doesn't give you a real-time look at what is happening - that's a big difference. In some countries, sensitive installations are blurred out on GE and other aerial aerial imaging platforms, although not in the US. Operating a dashcam, and photography in general, is not allowed at all on any sensitive site in the US.

True, but Google Earth imagery, while useful, doesn't give you a real-time look at what is happening - that's a big difference. In some countries, sensitive installations are blurred out on GE and other aerial aerial imaging platforms, although not in the US. Operating a dashcam, and photography in general, is not allowed at all on any sensitive site in the US.

That's true, look at area 51... Suppose to be a very paranoid and sensitive area, so sensitive that the military can shoot you without question if you go beyond the prohibited area and yet it is not blurred out in Google maps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarstenG