DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid firmware update caused me the mav to crash this morning!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget to check the oil in your car or do you wait for the idiot light to come on ?

State Farm Personal Articles policy for $60.00 a year would have covered this. DJI will examine the flight data and determine a CSC was performed inadvertently and call it pilot error.
you are probably right. That at is why I changed thing to operator error so I will get it back faster since they will hurry since they are making money on the repair instead of a warranty.

$60 huh? What's the deductible?

you are probably right. That at is why I changed thing to operator error so I will get it back faster since they will hurry since they are making money on the repair instead of a warranty.

$60 huh? What's the deductible?

Donuts! Zero. Im surprised that you have not seen other posts where I become a "crusader" for StateFarm Insurance personal Articles policies.

You dont have to be insured with them for any other item and they will write the policy for approx ~ 60.00 Dolalrs a year. Many members have followed this advice. I was the first person in Northern Nevada that insured thier "drone" with StateFarm or so I am told. I think my agent means of the people insured through his office. I wear it as a badge of honor so please excuse that.

I have been insured since my Phantom Days.

Reactions: Hook
Says everyone that's been flying RC for years and has common sense. Running through every setting that might affect flight takes all of 30 seconds and should be done prior to every flight. People with the "set it and forget it" attitude are why we have so many "DJI sucks!! My drone crashed/flew away and it's all their fault!!!" threads. I have yet to see one of those threads on this board that wasn't an issue of user error.
I guess I'll start going through all that stuff on every flight. Btw I never said dji sucked. So far I am impressed by the compnay and their products. I love this drone. After my 1st crash my fault didn't see a twig because a dark roof was behind it. DJi fixed it fast and was reasonable $176.

I just hate firmware upgrades especially since it resets everyhing. I still think they should not have ANY kill function on the sticks and should be a different button. I mean they don't have no kill function a helicopter on the controls why would they on a drone. That was a stupid idea from day one and should change.

I know its hard to "eat some crow", but the DJI Go 4 App does have lots and lots of settings as this is a complex machine. Its an engineering marvel that it can do as much as it can. We often forget that and just expect that we can place a flying bird with a camera anywhere we want in 3D space.

Travel back a blink of an eye -50 years ago and pull out your Mavic for a short flight around with a group of people observing. You would be considered a sorcerer.

Lets not loose perspective. The biggest mistake was not forgetting to disable the CSC function that totally understandable and acceptable. Nor crashing the Mavic. Heck there are lots of people in that club.

It was not preparing for when you crashed it .

Its best to "insulate" oneself from 2-4 hundred dollars losses (average cost of DJI repair bill for major crashes)

Reactions: aesculus
Sorry you lost your drone. Doing "funnel maneuvers" with the mavic is just reckless imo. Not at all what the platform was designed for...

Reactions: chad7218
Sorry you lost your drone. Doing "funnel maneuvers" with the mavic is just reckless imo. Not at all what the platform was designed for...
maybe so but man it sure does look cool doing them and fun. think I am going to buy a bad *** racing drone next. Any idea which one to buy?

Reactions: CC Rider
I mean they don't have no kill function a helicopter on the controls why would they on a drone. That was a stupid idea from day one and should change.

I can agree that's absolutely idiotic. On the P4P you need to hold the home button AND make a stick move. When I bought my Mavic I couldn't believe that the kill command was solely a stick move that was absolutely possible to replicate in flight (albeit very aggressive flight).

I can agree that's absolutely idiotic. On the P4P you need to hold the home button AND make a stick move. When I bought my Mavic I couldn't believe that the kill command was solely a stick move that was absolutely possible to replicate in flight (albeit very aggressive flight).
Hey we agree on something,... :D :thumbs:

Now i dont wanna fly in a real plane anymore. What if the captain dont check the planes settings(preflight checklist) after boeing updates a planes ecu. Stupid boeing engineers

Reactions: Craig540
Now i dont wanna fly in a real plane anymore. What if the captain dont check the planes settings(preflight checklist) after boeing updates a planes ecu. Stupid boeing engineers

The worst part is your pilot and co pilot were not even the last ones to fly the plane and may have never even been in that exact plane before. So who knows what switches and stuff were left in what positions from the last pilots. I hope they do a preflight and do it correctly.

State Farm Personal Articles policy for $60.00 a year would have covered this. DJI will examine the flight data and determine a CSC was performed inadvertently and call it pilot error.

Unfortunately this is too true and correct, with regards to both of BD0G's points raised in his post.

The flight data will clearly speak for itself, no doubt about that. And operator error most assuredly will be their determination of this crash.

With regards to State Farm Insurance covering this incident, BD0G is also correct again in what he stated. I have both of my drones covered by State Farm for $81 a year, with no deductible in any event of any claim. My Typhoon H Pro loss of yesterday will be covered by them if need be. However, I am delaying filing a claim with State Farm until I hear back from Typhoon H manufacturer Yuneec, as the sudden disconnect I experienced yesterday between my drone and my controller was NOT caused by operator error as the telemetry file data I sent them last night indicates and therefore may be covered under my current warranty. I believe in this case I suffered a software crash in the ST16 Typhoon H controller, which left me unable to intervene in returning the aircraft in any way.

Long story short, I'm sure that temporarily downed Mavic pilot gixxerbill has learned even more through his experience of this morning and will add it to his ongoing learning about this marvelous little flying machine. Let's all just wish him good luck, low costs, and fast return of his Mavic as he works his way through this incident.

sorry man but I have to laugh. Do really equate a $1000 toy to a commercial jet? what are you smoking?

Unfortunately this is too true and correct, with regards to both of BD0G's points raised in his post.

The flight data will clearly speak for itself, no doubt about that. And operator error most assuredly will be their determination of this crash.

With regards to State Farm Insurance covering this incident, BD0G is also correct again in what he stated. I have both of my drones covered by State Farm for $81 a year, with no deductible in any event of any claim. My Typhoon H Pro loss of yesterday will be covered by them if need be. However, I am delaying filing a claim with State Farm until I hear back from Typhoon H manufacturer Yuneec, as the sudden disconnect I experienced yesterday between my drone and my controller was NOT caused by operator error as the telemetry file data I sent them last night indicates and therefore may be covered under my current warranty. I believe in this case I suffered a software crash in the ST16 Typhoon H controller, which left me unable to intervene in returning the aircraft in any way.

Long story short, I'm sure that temporarily downed Mavic pilot gixxerbill has learned even more through his experience of this morning and will add it to his ongoing learning about this marvelous little flying machine. Let's all just wish him good luck, low costs, and fast return of his Mavic as he works his way through this incident.

you are one of the nicest posters ever. What do you ride CC rider I got to know?

I am so bummed out. My whole family was coming down this next weekend and I was going to show my nephews this sucker and now it will be in california for 3 to 4 weeks.

I was in sport mode this morning and started doing some up and down funnel maneuvers did it fine for like 3 or 4 times and then when I was coming down at 30 it just starts falling from the sky and bam crashed in the lot I own with grass on it. And it was wet grass too so it wasn't real hard. I really can't believe it screwed it up inside but it did. Get a red back light when I try to start it.

I was thinking what the **** could have happened I know I turned off the pull sticks down and inward thing for emergency stop but i know i turned it off. Then on the way to work it hit me. The stupid firmware upgrade. I guess it must have reset everything. Just pisses me off why does it have to reset everything can't those computer geeks stop that from happening? I wish I never had to update the stupid firmware just a bunch of suckers thinking of ways of keeping their jobs it's nothing but a pain in the butt.

It says system error on the controller and a red light on the back means it's going to cali for repair. Think they are going to charge me?

Checklist much?

Especially after a f/w update?

Reactions: AyeYo
Thought about getting State Farm insurance for my drone as well... until I did my research.

If you file a claim against 1000 drone, yes you will be reimbursed, however you submitted a claim against your policy and that will follow you and affect any future policy rates and deductibles, whether it be auto or even home insurance. I got my insurance thru the AMA, 75$ a year. They cover lost birds with or without the carcasses well. Coverage as follows; $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
$25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
$10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members

Reactions: cobra46
Wow is it just me or are the posts getting harsher and harsher!
I agree with the OP, I see no reason for the settings to be lost after a firmware update. Even Cell Phones which is what the core of the Mavic is, do not lose their settings when you update them.

Secondly why does it default to a in flight CSC? It seems to be the more dangerous of the two options. The default should be CSC only in emergency.

Rob

Reactions: mlaczek and FordP
Dang. Sucks. The thing that pisses me off the most. Is like libs and how they act and like fellow Mavic owners that dont know nothing about funnels and think a high dollar drone should just fly level flight only.
Well for the guy that stated it wasnt designed for that
It wasnt designed for that my azz. What do you call sport mode. Just to do 40 mph??
Give me a break.
Yep I got to upgrade my mav. I will make sure to disable the stock setting that shut the motor off. Hard lesson for you I bet.
And thanks for posting a reminder for other sport flyers at the cost of your misstake.
Sounds like you are a rc heli 3Dier.
My one heli I have here cost 21/2 times more than my mav. I hate crashing it. But thats part of the fun. Rebuilding it. Wish the mav could be Rebuildable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661