DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunshade

Good find. Thx.

That looks good and well found.. of course its a 3d generated image so hard to tell actual
Its cheeky how everyone seems to be charging 20 for it and all the models look the same - as to be expected i suppose.

Yes it is a 3d image but I arrived at that site from the companies 3d printing site on which they stated to go to that product for the injected molded version. I don't have one physically so I can't verify, I take them at their word.

Injection molding is not cheap and $20/unit for a small run part is fair in my opinion. To give an idea of the cost your looking at about $8-12/part when you add all the expenses up and divide by your first production run.
Let's say I placed an order for 500, I'm looking at about $4,000 on the low end to make that run, so I'll need to sell 200 units just to break even. Now if the part is wildly successful and I need to order a second run my cost will be greatly reduced because I won't have to pay for a new mold and I'll have a pricing advantage if someone else enters the market.

I've been down the small run injection molding road a time or two.

Reactions: baldflux
I'm picking up mine ( 3D printed ) from a local guy here.. Used the 3D model from this thread.. let you know how it looks..

Found another supplier, this time injection molded not 3d printed
DJI Mavic Pro Camera Lens Sun Hood Sunshade and Gimbal Guard

Thank you for that post. I just clicked on the link and it took me all of 35 seconds to place the order with ApplePay. 22 bucks and some change with standard shipping. Although it sounds like it's a pre-order item so it might not arrive terribly fast. Still appears to be quicker than getting the one on eBay that looks like a shoddy 3-D print. Quality is worth waiting for in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: mangospoops
Found another supplier, this time injection molded not 3d printed
DJI Mavic Pro Camera Lens Sun Hood Sunshade and Gimbal Guard
This is great! Read the fine print though. The model that is currently available is a 3D printed model. You need to contact them if you prefer to have the injection molded version, which will take longer to arrive as the molds aren't finished yet. Here is the info from the site:

"We had some questions about this item about material/process etc:

We are still making the mold for this item - takes a while - the initial batch will be 3d printed on a million dollar industrial printer and painted, we will be switching to molded when our mold finishes :)
The molded one will take longer to arrive, if you have a preference of which one you would like, please let us know at [email protected] (please reference your ID)."

Thanks for the tip. I've put in a request for my order to be held until the injection molded part is available.

Update: Fstop agreed to send me the injection molded piece. Great customer service!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: AAPhoto
I imagine someone will be selling this mod soon.

Haven't watched the whole video, but does he show the results of his mod, does it reduce sun flares? Also, the best lenses in the world have sun flares, some people like sun flares as an effect.

I paid a local High School kid w/3D printer to create this from the 3D model sketch-up. (this thread). Had to file a bit more because of I allow full upward control of the gimble and when turning fast it showed the sides a tad.. will clean-up the rough edges a bit more.. but for $9.00 it's a perfect interim solution.. definitely rigid enough for some protection.. oh and I learned my lesson on the gimble lock.. hence the ribbon!sunshade3.jpg sunshade2.jpg sunshade1.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Yep.. saw this.. but I didn't want to hack up cover and ordering another to work on was an option, but this was a 2 day turnaround from this 3D printer and pretty much was perfect..

I think ill go the injection moulded route...
I dont like the look of these 3d printed versions.

Actually im now debating borrowing a dremel and having a go with the standard one....

Reactions: vdubbin1967
might be a silly question, but with these guards on it, is there enough air flow running back to the air vents behind the gimble?

might be a silly question, but with these guards on it, is there enough air flow running back to the air vents behind the gimble?

It says on the product description for the gimbal cover on DJI's website "Protects gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and in flight." Then if it's cut out there would be more air.

Reactions: west1200us
It says on the product description for the gimbal cover on DJI's website "Protects gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and in flight." Then if it's cut out there would be more air.

Oh ok Thanks, Yeah i have just watched multiple videos where they say to remove it to allow airflow with the vent (my mavic comes friday, so I want to get all the info I can before then. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31