DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunshade

It says on the product description for the gimbal cover on DJI's website "Protects gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and in flight." Then if it's cut out there would be more air.

Do people fly with the gimbal cover attached? I have watched quite a few online video tutorials and they are always removed?

Cheers,
Ben

Do people fly with the gimbal cover attached?

I fly with cover when I'm not out recording photos or video, but just flying for fun in sports mode, or practicing maneuvers.

Went the DIY route - used blue masking tape to define lens edging & with a few adjustments here & there got the cut out perfect using a Dremel - sanded it lightly & sprayed it same color as the Mavic Pro - works great but will order a new cover as the rubber protection doesn't stay on since I allowed for the extra 30 degree tilt-up on the gimbal. Used epoxy to strengthen the thinner parts after the cut to ensure no cracking due to vibration during flight. Totally worth the effort if you have the skills. Did I say it works GREAT........?View attachment 4013

Great tip about the strengthening - im going to have to come of the fence and do it i think !
Now to find my can of plastidip !

Great tip about the strengthening - im going to have to come of the fence and do it i think !
Now to find my can of plastidip !

Just my 2 cents. But you would prob be better painting it flat black with a light coat as the plastidip is heavier.... every little gram helps with flight time and cog.... ps. I plasti dipped and blacked out my fj Cruiser trim pieces. Love that stuff

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: MoOriginal
So, after a few iterations, here it is a new version - not final - of my sunshade. I have tried to keep the thing light and simple to print. Soon, I'll share the STL file, if some of you want to try it. Stay tuned! :)
IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1084.JPG

STL would be great, thanks for designing. If you wouldn't mind a STEP file, wouldn't mind helping to tweak it as I give it a try.

Went the DIY route - used blue masking tape to define lens edging & with a few adjustments here & there got the cut out perfect using a Dremel - sanded it lightly & sprayed it same color as the Mavic Pro - works great but will order a new cover as the rubber protection doesn't stay on since I allowed for the extra 30 degree tilt-up on the gimbal. Used epoxy to strengthen the thinner parts after the cut to ensure no cracking due to vibration during flight. Totally worth the effort if you have the skills. Did I say it works GREAT........?
20170112_085429-jpg.4013

What is the color it's a great match .

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Going to fly Sunday at a local tag up. Shoot me the current stl and I'll print before then and give some feedback.

Sweet, thank you. You can check out my stuff on ThingIverse also; I started to follow just so I get notifications when you post other great designs.

That is honestly a nice elegant design and it does not block the cooling vents nor the aerodynamic qualities. It's lite. We'll see if we can get some sun light into the lens tomorrow and tweak if need be.

Last edited:
Went the DIY route - used blue masking tape to define lens edging & with a few adjustments here & there got the cut out perfect using a Dremel - sanded it lightly & sprayed it same color as the Mavic Pro - works great but will order a new cover as the rubber protection doesn't stay on since I allowed for the extra 30 degree tilt-up on the gimbal. Used epoxy to strengthen the thinner parts after the cut to ensure no cracking due to vibration during flight. Totally worth the effort if you have the skills. Did I say it works GREAT........?
20170112_085429-jpg.4013

What is the color it's a great match .

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app
To be honest it is a regular matt black enamel that should have turned out black ( wanted that for the inside surfaces to be non reflective ) but after 3 light coats it ended up changing to match the Mavic kinda gunmetal grey? Weird as I still want the inside black.........lol. Tested it out the way it is & it's 100% better at stopping lens flare than without the shade...................anyone thinking about doing this should go right ahead it really is well worth the effort. Or you can purchase ready made which I think looks good but man expensive :- https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Shade-...51&sr=1-7&keywords=mavic+pro+gimbal+protector

So, after a few iterations, here it is a new version - not final - of my sunshade. I have tried to keep the thing light and simple to print. Soon, I'll share the STL file, if some of you want to try it. Stay tuned! :)
View attachment 4102 View attachment 4104

Test footage from Sunday showed that the shade takes 1/4 of the frame in full stick forward sport mode and a 3 o'clock sun still flares in the lens under normal flight conditions (non sport). When I look at the other mod design the shade above seams to be taken care of by the natural design of the Mavic with the flares needing side blinders.

Test footage from Sunday showed that the shade takes 1/4 of the frame in full stick forward sport mode and a 3 o'clock sun still flares in the lens under normal flight conditions (non sport). When I look at the other mod design the shade above seams to be taken care of by the natural design of the Mavic with the flares needing side blinders.

Hi, thanks for your feedback and your time! Seems that my approach is not very efficient! :)

So some iterations then..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes