DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The "creepy" feeling of being watched by a drone

A neighbor in our association recently got a Mavic Pro Platinum. He saw me flying mine in front of our house about a month ago, he stopped and we had a nice conversation about the Mavic's feature's, etc. About a week ago he told me he finally got one.

Three days later I'm out front talking to my neighbors across the street and I hear the sound of a Mavic overhead. At first it was about 100 feet up. I quickly realized it belonged to the neighbor up the street so I waved hello. That's when he dropped the altitude to maybe 30 feet and just hovered there, camera pointed at the four of us. After about 30 seconds of it hovering there I waved to him again and the Mavic flew away.

The next day I was washing my car in front of my house. Sure enough, here comes his Mavic again. He again dropped it to about 30 feet above the street and hovered there pointing the camera at me and what I was doing. I again waved and he flew off.

Even though I know this pilot, he wasn't standing near me at the time. His house is a quarter-mile away. I very much got that creepy feeling of being watched by a drone. It was just too close.

What this guy did is not something I'd EVER do. I would NEVER drop my Mavic to such a low altitude near people I'm not standing with at the time. When I fly around our neighborhood my Mavic is at a minimum altitude of 300 feet and more frequently clear up at 400 feet. It's just bad manners to fly so low, even above people you know.

I'm not mad at the guy. But I am disappointed. When we had our long conversation about the Mavic we also talked about drone etiquette and I emphasized I'm a big believer in following the AMA rules. He agreed those things sounded reasonable. But I get the feeling he hasn't bothered to spend much time reading and educating himself. I wonder if he's even registered himself with the FAA yet.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope it's simply a case of a new pilot that was anxious to show off his toy to a fellow done pilot and such low altitude visits won't happen anymore. And I sure as heck hope he's not doing the same thing anywhere else within our association.

I'm friends with our association president. I emailed her to let her know that we have at least one more drone pilot in the association (flying the same model drone as mine). If this guy is doing anything to make any other association members feel creepy I sure don't want them thinking it was me.

I will talk to him the next time I see him. I'll let him know that it feels creepy (even though I know him) and tell him I hope he's not doing the same thing anywhere else.

In the meantime, I think I better put a skin on my Mavic so my drone looks decidedly different than his.

Mark
that's how bad things to good flyers, people like that give all of us a bed name, I'm sorry you just don't do that.

I've posted before, I think this hobby is doomed for acts just like this - and there are many instances - not just this one. What is unfortunate is that new buyers do not research much - the rules, the NFZ's, privacy issues, so there is a 'group' that will buy, find out they can not fly many places, and then sell. Purchasing a DJI, or Autel, or other, drone, that is more than say $200 is crazy - for the first time drone owner. I had the, "I want a drone bug" for about 2 months. I like to take photos, I fly aerobatic RC Planes and Helicopters, it fit right-in with my hobbies. I researched this and found so many negative issues - reason's to not buy - but yet, I still wanted one. The short flight times of any drone under $300 was a deterrent - so I thought, "I'll just spend more money" - then I could get a 20 minute flight time (15 in reality at 5000+ feet) and then the reality kicked in, spending $700+ with all the new NFZ's, and city and county new laws against flying anywhere I would like to fly - so my decision process got harder and harder. I looked at buying used, and there are a ton out there, where these people learned they had to drive an hour + to fly without bothering people, or taking video of the same school yard over and over, was quite boring - and then so what with the video? Post it to YouTube where a few friends might look at it once. So, for sale it goes.. for the next person to buy, and the sellers don't want to take much of a loss, so they are still expensive, but someone can save $300 or so on a used drone. I'm finally over getting a drone phase. I'll keep flying my planes and helicopters and enjoying that sport. For those of your that use your drone in a professional capacity, great! a good tool. For someone that wants a new hobby, research carefully - I'd bet you may end up selling your drone - so at least buy used. The FEW will make it difficult for the Many. Think out 1-2-3 years, do you see it (areas to fly) getting better? or worse? do you see restrictions becoming less? or getting more ridged? Do you see people less concerned about their privacy, or more concerned? Do you see the high pitched noise a drone makes drawing more attention, or less? Throwing rocks at drones should tell you something! Do people care, you bet!
Don't you get tired of trolling this site? You've been chased off a few times -- get a hint. You don't like drones, and want everyone else to agree with you blah blah blah. The way to not be involved with drones is to not follow drone sites.

Reactions: orbayburak and Aran
LL Bean has just rescinded their liberal return policy, people were buying Bean boots at Goodwill and "returning" them.

Airlines are finally cracking down of "comfort animals" after some idiot tried to fly with a peacock and a "comfort pit-bull" mauled a guy in the adjacent set.

What does this have to do with drones, you ask. Just this, a crack-down on drone flying is inevitable. Not whether, when! Consider the video of the airliner on short final to McCarrran shot from a drone and recently posted on youtube.

Any self-selected set of humans (boot-buyers, airline passengers, drone owners) will have a small sub-set of self-imposing trouble-makers. The trouble they make must, of necessity, result in a reaction that hits everybody in the larger group. Human nature.

I am finally flying my Mavic on the volcanoes in Mexico that I've been studying for a half century. The first day's videos solved three problems that have vexed me for years. I have avoided upgrading the firmware with its 500 m height limit, I just fly and photograph what I need.

Great thread! I had a similar experience just yesterday while working in my yard. I've been the only drone pilot in my small town as far as I knew for years, but I live on the edge of town and always fly away from it. For the first time, I heard another drone and spotted a phantom sailing overhead at about 300' toward the setting sun. I thought 'he's going for a sunset shot over the meadow that's next to our town, nice'. Then I heard it returning and it stopped right above me and dropped altitude to around 100' and hovered before yawing 180 and zooming off.. I was really surprised at my own reaction. It felt creepy as you say only because I wished I could see who was flying the aircraft.

I would NEVER stop and hover over anyone unless they could see me so that I could at least give my own friendly wave, yet I have often wished I had something to take pictures of besides the sunset. Also, if you're looking at the horizon, you might not know there was anyone directly below you!!!

While the hobby may not be doomed, I do think it's popularity with the general public falls squarely in the realm of passing fad because of these concerns as well as the "'been there, done that' factor which has plagued me at times. I have whole hard drives full of pictures of that meadow next to my house. Those of us who are willing to shoot commercially or travel to rural places in order to fly and get different pictures will likely be the only ones to sustain a long term interest.

I just hope people, including myself, can get used to it since it actually can do no real harm but I think it is up to us to some extent how public attitudes will settle out. Do be considerate at all times.

Would some of you “it feels creepy“ crowd feel the same way if somebody was watching you from across the street instead of overhead? I’m trying to see the difference. Enlighten me please

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Would some of you “it feels creepy“ crowd feel the same way if somebody was watching you from across the street instead of overhead? I’m trying to see the difference. Enlighten me please

Well, if you saw someone watching you from across the road, you could go and have a word. If they carried on, you'd at least have someone you could report.

A drone with a camera pointing at you is sending that feed to who knows where.
You and your family in your garden could be being warched by any sweaty cretin on his tablet.....

If that isn't creepy to you, I don't know what is!

Report them for what??

Looks like ignorant anti-Droners aren’t the only ones who make up “laws“.

You are the one who brought up the comparison of someone watching from across the street instead of from above.
You then quoted "i got a telescope"

I have to assume that means you are being watched to the point of it invading your privacy.

Go stare into your neighbours garden whilst they are out sunbathing.
Go grab your telescope too.

Let me know how many times you get away with it before you're punched in the face or reported for harassment (not made up...go look it up)

If you can't understand why some people don't want camera drones hovering over them to the point it's making them uncomfortable when they might have no clue who's operating it and watching the feed, then this hobby really is doomed.

Looks like ignorant people who just want to fly their drones anywhere just think they are simply above the laws that are in place.

Last edited:
You are the one who brought up the comparison of someone watching from across the street instead of from above.
You then quoted "i got a telescope"

I have to assume that means you are being watched to the point of it invading your privacy.

Go stare into your neighbours garden whilst they are out sunbathing.
Go grab your telescope too.

Let me know how many times you get away with it before you're punched in the face or reported for harassment (not made up...go look it up)

If you can't understand why some people don't want camera drones hovering over them to the point it's making them uncomfortable when they might have no clue who's operating it and watching the feed, then this hobby really is doomed.

Looks like ignorant people who just want to fly their drones anywhere just think they are simply above the laws that are in place.
Unfortunately @JimmyHillsChin , your ideas of what's acceptable behavior have nothing to do with the law. Reporting people for [possibly] filming you while you are out in public, or even on your unfenced front lawn, will result in no charges being pressed. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it illegal. Even if they are photographing your young nude children playing in the sprinkler.

You need to google the term "reasonable expectation of privacy" to get a clue on this topic. You might also read Bert Krage's Photograper's Bill of Rights.

And before you reply angrily in my direction, please know that I don't engage in these behaviors. But it's not for fear of being hassled -- I just don't find people shots interesting -- I shoot landscape.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Unfortunately @JimmyHillsChin , your ideas of what's acceptable behavior have nothing to do with the law. Reporting people for [possibly] filming you while you are out in public, or even on your unfenced front lawn, will result in no charges being pressed. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it illegal. Even if they are photographing your young nude children playing in the sprinkler.

You need to google the term "reasonable expectation of privacy" to get a clue on this topic. You might also read Bert Krage's Photograper's Bill of Rights.

And before you reply angrily in my direction, please know that I don't engage in these behaviors. But it's not for fear of being hassled -- I just don't find people shots interesting -- I shoot landscape.

Why would I get angry?
Seriously, it's really not worth getting angry at people on the internet :)

What is noticeable is that you've decided to take my examples of being in my own garden, sunbathing, to now being out in public and then, for some strange reason, use an example of photographing nude children playing in a sprinkler.

The problem is, you are in drone mode where, sure, all of this could be picked on your drones camera on a flight.

When we then bring in telescopes, actual photographing nude children or planting your drone over someones garden, it's clear we are talking about more than just "oh god, look what I captured" when you go through the end results.

If I planted my drone over a sprinkler every hot summer day because the surrounding landscape is amazing but it also happens to be where children play nude, It wouldn't be long before I'm told to remove it by the police.
I'll ignore the warning though because "it's my right to fly my drone" right?
Or shall I tell the copper to move the children instead because I want perfect landscape shots?
Then carry on regardless?

I will be done for harassment or breach of the peace.

My "reasonable expectation of privacy" is sitting in my garden fenced or unfenced without looking up and there's a drone hovering above me.
If its just flying over, fine, but we are talking other levels of privacy here.

When you bring filming other people nude children into an already provocative subject, is it any wonder that these debates roll on and on?

I'll bow out of this now as I initially replied as to why someone taking pictures across the street is viewed as the same as with a drone from above.

And also why people are getting creeped out.....I think I know why.....

This was a disgusting post, sling shots, rocks, creepy feeling, invading privacy, stalker, if this **** was true than were all bigots, you think 30 ft is different than 35 or 50 ft or 75 ft , if this is true than everyone us is causing these type of feeling to anyone who has them, and you just condoned , many of you to throw rock, sling shot,,, when this guy was just waiting for you to wave and say hello and than turn around, sickening how you all hung yourself.

When my neighbor's drone was about 100 feet in the air I didn't have a creepy feeling. Reason: Because I know how limited the detail of small objects (like people) are at 100 feet when the drone is equipped with a wide-angle lens. At 100 feet up I couldn't even tell which direction the Mavic's camera was pointed.

When he lowered it to about 30 feet it became QUITE obvious which direction the camera was pointing. That's when it started feeling a bit creepy.

As drone pilots I feel we should help educate the public (people we know and meet) about the difference between flying over a neighborhood at 30 feet and flying up at 200 feet. Folks that don't own drones but watch too many movies and TV shows think that EVERY drone has the ability to spy on them in great detail. We all know that's completely not true for the majority of consumer drones.

As mentioned, when flying in our neighborhood I keep my Mavic at 300 feet or higher. And I don't pause directly above anyone's home but my own. The last thing I want is for my neighbors to feel that my drone is "spying" on them. And I believe education is the fastest way to relieve any anxiety a neighbor might be feeling. When I'm out on my property flying I go out of my way to chat with any passing neighbors and show them you can't even identify an individual when the drone is 300+ feet in the air.

Mark

I've posted before, I think this hobby is doomed for acts just like this - and there are many instances - not just this one. What is unfortunate is that new buyers do not research much - the rules, the NFZ's, privacy issues, so there is a 'group' that will buy, find out they can not fly many places, and then sell. Purchasing a DJI, or Autel, or other, drone, that is more than say $200 is crazy - for the first time drone owner. I had the, "I want a drone bug" for about 2 months. I like to take photos, I fly aerobatic RC Planes and Helicopters, it fit right-in with my hobbies. I researched this and found so many negative issues - reason's to not buy - but yet, I still wanted one. The short flight times of any drone under $300 was a deterrent - so I thought, "I'll just spend more money" - then I could get a 20 minute flight time (15 in reality at 5000+ feet) and then the reality kicked in, spending $700+ with all the new NFZ's, and city and county new laws against flying anywhere I would like to fly - so my decision process got harder and harder. I looked at buying used, and there are a ton out there, where these people learned they had to drive an hour + to fly without bothering people, or taking video of the same school yard over and over, was quite boring - and then so what with the video? Post it to YouTube where a few friends might look at it once. So, for sale it goes.. for the next person to buy, and the sellers don't want to take much of a loss, so they are still expensive, but someone can save $300 or so on a used drone. I'm finally over getting a drone phase. I'll keep flying my planes and helicopters and enjoying that sport. For those of your that use your drone in a professional capacity, great! a good tool. For someone that wants a new hobby, research carefully - I'd bet you may end up selling your drone - so at least buy used. The FEW will make it difficult for the Many. Think out 1-2-3 years, do you see it (areas to fly) getting better? or worse? do you see restrictions becoming less? or getting more ridged? Do you see people less concerned about their privacy, or more concerned? Do you see the high pitched noise a drone makes drawing more attention, or less? Throwing rocks at drones should tell you something! Do people care, you bet!
You do make a very valid point here. It really is a shame that a hobby that is still in its infant stage,could quite possibly be snuffed out by regulation that results from quad pilots “creeping” people out. I agree with the folks who say we are in a delicate stage for our hobby. There needs to be a critical mass as it were,of responsible quad hobbyists doing it right for an extended period of time,(while at the same time,lobbying the people who make laws) so that those law makers don’t restrict us further...based on the vocal anti drone voices. In fact, the hobbyist quad pilots out there shouldn’t really assume that the so called”professional “ drone users are actually on our side either. There’s always self interest at play for those people as well.
Just like we can’t assume that the model aircraft flyers are on our side. again.... self interest is at play

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini